+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I ditch pr through refugee and go with spousal sponsorship

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Hello,
Here's my current timeline for pr
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on January 12, 2018.
  2. We started processing your application on August 2, 2018.
  3. Medical results have been received.
I got married to the love of my life in August 2018 we met in November 2017
Our marriage can't be more solid. We traveled the country together, we lived in 3 different cities tohetoge and currently we go to college together.

Is it advisable that I apply for spousal sponsorship? Would it be faster? Or at the end both applications would finalize around th

Ameeroov

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Mississauga
Hello,
Our marriage can't be more solid. We traveled the country together, we lived in 3 different cities tohetoge and currently we go to college together.

Is it advisable that I apply for spousal sponsorship? Would it be faster? Or at the end both applications would finalize around th
Since you got married you have to inform the cic about changing of your status it’s illegal not to tell them you should go through or application which you signed again , plus what is your wife status in Canada ! You can’t have too pr applications in the same time but you can hire a lawer to process it under sponsorship ! My beloved it will not save that much of time but eventually your pr will be under a different category than refugee which is way better ,

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Since you got married you have to inform the cic about changing of your status it’s illegal not to tell them you should go through or application which you signed again , plus what is your wife status in Canada ! You can’t have too pr applications in the same time but you can hire a lawer to process it under sponsorship ! My beloved it will not save that much of time but eventually your pr will be under a different category than refugee which is way better ,
How do I inform the CIC without delaying the application more?
my wife is a Canadian Citizen
and what disadvantages would pr through refugee bring compared to through spousal?
in both cases it will be 2 years before applying to the citizenship and at that point it doesnt really matter does it?

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hello,

To be honest if I was in your shoes I would stick to your current application. Applying through spousal sponsorship takes about 12 months, and applying as a refugee takes maximum about 2 years (even though they're saying 30 months most people are finalized within 1.5 years) if everything is in order. Also, when getting pr as a refugee you would gotten it under your own right, without the need of being sponsored by anyone. That's my opinion, at the end of the day it's your call to make just make sure to weigh your options carefully before making any decision.
For IRCC, you can let them know of your marriage by filling a web form. Here's the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
p.s. I think you can have to simultaneous applications for PR (under different programs) at the same time, please double check with IRCC about this though. Good luck!

Reactions: canuck78

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
with spousal in your case be red flags plus they would request a relationship interview plus go through your application with a fine tooth comb

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your relationship is also relative fWould keep with your current PR. Given your relatively fast marriage (under a year) and the fact that you may have still been an asylum seeker when you first met your spousal sponsorship will likely be under more scrutiny. The paperwork is extensive and you could accidentally miss something, like a date somewhere, causing a delay if your application gets returned and you have to resubmit. Your current PR application could end up being faster.

Reactions: carolbb23

Fawazo

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
True. I agree with you all it's not worth the hassle .
It just frustrates me that it's been a year since I applied and they barely started working on my case sheesh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
True. I agree with you all it's not worth the hassle .
It just frustrates me that it's been a year since I applied and they barely started working on my case sheesh
Your asylum case got processed very quickly and you seem have waited years without anything happening in the US. Many other Syrians are in refugee camps all over the world. Not sure if you should really complain all things considered:)