+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should i classify as employed or self employed?

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
hello,

I am sponsoring my mother for PGP 2019 and I am filling in imm5768e for financial evaluation.
in that, I need to identify myself as employed or self-employed.
At present, I work through my incorporation (ABC Inc.) as a software consultant. Since the inception of my ABC Inc., I have had only 1 client (XYZ Inc.) and i bill them a biweekly invoice (through a 3rd company). This payment goes into my business bank account and I pay myself using payroll/bonuses and not dividends. As I use payroll, I am also remitting monthly tax remittance to the CRA. With this sort of arrangement, I either consider myself a full-time employee of ABC Inc. or XYZ Inc.
Also, should my employer be ABC (my incorporation) or XYZ (my client) on the imm5768e form?
Am I wrong in this assessment and should I identify myself as self-employed?

sanko

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
I would put the same status that you’ve stated on your tax returns.

And I might be wrong, but I don’t think this specific field is super important for the application.

labibfares

May 5, 2019
Hi same question with me.
I am a doctor and have a medical corporation under my name.
I work in clinic and hospital as fee for service.
Do I consider myself ( self employed)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi same question with me.
I am a doctor and have a medical corporation under my name.
I work in clinic and hospital as fee for service.
Do I consider myself ( self employed)
Yes. Doctors are self-employed unless you have arranged a fixed salary with your hospital.

S0324

Jul 25, 2018
India
hello,

I am sponsoring my mother for PGP 2019 and I am filling in imm5768e for financial evaluation.
in that, I need to identify myself as employed or self-employed.
At present, I work through my incorporation (ABC Inc.) as a software consultant. Since the inception of my ABC Inc., I have had only 1 client (XYZ Inc.) and i bill them a biweekly invoice (through a 3rd company). This payment goes into my business bank account and I pay myself using payroll/bonuses and not dividends. As I use payroll, I am also remitting monthly tax remittance to the CRA. With this sort of arrangement, I either consider myself a full-time employee of ABC Inc. or XYZ Inc.
Also, should my employer be ABC (my incorporation) or XYZ (my client) on the imm5768e form?
Am I wrong in this assessment and should I identify myself as self-employed?
@canuck78 same question for me as well. Would you kindly help?

We have declared my brother in law who owns incorporation as self-employed. In the employer name section, should I need to mention his client name along with his incorporation name (Ex: CONTRACT WORK FOR XYZ CLIENT (through ABC INC))?
Then, what should be the employer address, his client address where he works or his incorporation address?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 same question for me as well. Would you kindly help?

We have declared my brother in law who owns incorporation as self-employed. In the employer name section, should I need to mention his client name along with his incorporation name (Ex: CONTRACT WORK FOR XYZ CLIENT (through ABC INC))?
Then, what should be the employer address, his client address where he works or his incorporation address?
He is employed by ABC not the client. His incorporation address should be specified.

Reactions: S0324