+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I change the course after getting rejection on study permit?

Atmiya Patel

Mar 27, 2021
Hello sir,

Actually I got rejection for study permit with reasons stating that you will not leave Canada after your studies amd second reason is your course selection is not relevant to your previous studies and work experience. Now let me explain what I did. I did bachlor in electrical engineering in 2016 after that I am doing job related to what I studied. I took electrical engineering technician program for study in Canada and I got rejection. I am perplexed on should I change the course to project management which is 1 year course or should I reapply with the same course(electrical engineering technician - 2 years). I would be grateful to you if you can answer as soon as possible. Thank you!

Amit25July

Feb 8, 2021
Hello sir,

Actually I got rejection for study permit with reasons stating that you will not leave Canada after your studies amd second reason is your course selection is not relevant to your previous studies and work experience. Now let me explain what I did. I did bachlor in electrical engineering in 2016 after that I am doing job related to what I studied. I took electrical engineering technician program for study in Canada and I got rejection. I am perplexed on should I change the course to project management which is 1 year course or should I reapply with the same course(electrical engineering technician - 2 years). I would be grateful to you if you can answer as soon as possible. Thank you!
You did engineering and now you are trying to become technician? This does not make sense to me leave aside VO. Choose a better program. Think what you want to achieve and then select program - it has to be well thought program. Do good research. ATB.

Atmiya Patel

Mar 27, 2021
You did engineering and now you are trying to become technician? This does not make sense to me leave aside VO. Choose a better program. Think what you want to achieve and then select program - it has to be well thought program. Do good research. ATB.
Hello sir, I got what you are trying to say but one of my friends had his visa. He had same profile as mine except he had 2 years of experience and I have 4 years of experience. Now, I can't change my mistake. Now, If I change my course to post graduate level, visa officer would not question mark on why I changed course? wouldn't he reject my application on that basis?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello sir, I got what you are trying to say but one of my friends had his visa. He had same profile as mine except he had 2 years of experience and I have 4 years of experience. Now, I can't change my mistake. Now, If I change my course to post graduate level, visa officer would not question mark on why I changed course? wouldn't he reject my application on that basis?
You can’t compare your profile to a friend. Every application is reviewed by different officers. A technician can be started out of high school. You don’t need an engineering degree. Many people with engineering degrees are technicians so you need to pick another program...a PG diploma.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You can’t compare your profile to a friend. Every application is reviewed by different officers. A technician can be started out of high school. You don’t need an engineering degree. Many people with engineering degrees are technicians so you need to pick another program...a PG diploma.
I am constantly baffled when I read this "...but my friend got their visa with same course/history/experience/funds/etc" ‍o_Oo_O.

Reactions: Naturgrl

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
80% of the people with rejected applications on this forum state this. They are so surprised when refused.
Yeah. It's like they think there's an almighty formula that guarantees visa approval. The process is very subjective, so you can't copy what someone else did for success, and then be shocked when it doesn't work the same for you.

Atmiya Patel

Mar 27, 2021
Thank you so much for your kind reply. Will it be okay if I choose graduate certificate program(like project management or process quality engineering) having length of 1 year, considering in view of getting study permit?

Amit25July

Feb 8, 2021
Thank you so much for your kind reply. Will it be okay if I choose graduate certificate program(like project management or process quality engineering) having length of 1 year, considering in view of getting study permit?
How would anyone know your interest area dear?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello sir,

Why are you perplexed? It seems you're trying to stay in Canada and not leave, as what the visa officer said. That means you don't meet the requirements of the study permit .

Atmiya Patel

Mar 27, 2021
How would anyone know your interest area dear?
I know that I will have to finalize the area of interest. I am just asking is it okay to go for the graduate certificate program. Ofter choosing one of that program I am hoping that visa officer atleast would not give reason that your choosen study is not relevant to your previous study.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I know that I will have to finalize the area of interest. I am just asking is it okay to go for the graduate certificate program. Ofter choosing one of that program I am hoping that visa officer atleast would not give reason that your choosen study is not relevant to your previous study.
If your question is whether a graduate certificate (in a related field) is better than a diploma for career progression then yes it is. But, you should have done the research and got it right the first time. Now, your previous refusal and choice of program will obviously play a part in your next application. If you are really determined then you should apply for a MEng in your field.

Atmiya Patel

Mar 27, 2021
If your question is whether a graduate certificate (in a related field) is better than a diploma for career progression then yes it is. But, you should have done the research and got it right the first time. Now, your previous refusal and choice of program will obviously play a part in your next application. If you are really determined then you should apply for a MEng in your field.
I got your point but as far as my knowledge is concerned university will not allow me to do master as I had four backlogs during my bachelor of engineering and I got 62.5%. In addition, master eduaction is quite expensive or out of budget. I have only option to do graduate certificate course or advanced diploma course(may be I should not consider this credential for my further study). so should I choose course related to my previous course(technical but of graduate certificate level ) or I can move to management side? which one would be better in getting visa approved scenario?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I got your point but as far as my knowledge is concerned university will not allow me to do master as I had four backlogs during my bachelor of engineering and I got 62.5%. In addition, master eduaction is quite expensive or out of budget. I have only option to do graduate certificate course or advanced diploma course(may be I should not consider this credential for my further study). so should I choose course related to my previous course(technical but of graduate certificate level ) or I can move to management side? which one would be better in getting visa approved scenario?
So if you don't have enough money, how can the visa officer be sure you can even pay for your living expenses and tuition fees and return flight home?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A PG program is better but you need to decide on the a program that shows career progression in your home country. Project management courses can be taken online or in your home country so why do you need to come to Canada for it.