+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I cancel sponsorship?

Alfredbojimbo

Apr 18, 2019
Hello everyone... I feel like I am in a terrible situation. I fell in love with a woman from outside the country while she was attempting to get residency. Her work permit expired. We communicated for 6 months.
Things were tight with money meeting her expectations.
She came back. We got married. Since she has belittled and disregarded my emotions. She was so disrespectful towards my thoughts while all I could do was support her. She ended the relationship on my birthday because I couldn't find my phone and asked to use hers(that I had bought her out of her demands). She said I could use it then came down and ended the relationship. She contradicted herself. she said I couldn't use it. On her birthday she got her work permit. I've spent every dime on her thinking that it was just a phase. I have been doing everything I can to make her happy even afterwards. She still thinks that my emotions are invalid. I feel like I have been tricked. I love her regardless though I feel that what she has been doing has all for her entry into canada.(through me)
Can someone please tell me what happens if I cancel the sponsorship? Can someone please tell me if it is the right thing for me to do?
She came here to get married to me in a rush. It was as if she disregarded my thoughts on preparation for the big moment. It cripples my mind knowing that I was just used. I was so happy to marry her. I think that she was so happy to be in Canada.

Reactions: msb

Mar1219

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hi, I’m so sorry to hear about your relationship. Love is blind and it’s possible she did marry you just to get into Canada, and in that case, it would be considered a marriage of convenience or a fraud marriage. This is from the IRCC website:

Withdraw your sponsorship application
You can withdraw your sponsorship application at any time before your spouse, partner or child becomes a permanent resident of Canada.

To do so, send us your request and include:

your name
your date of birth
your complete address
the date the application was sent
your client ID number, which is your unique client identifier (UCI) (if you know it)
the type of application (for example, sponsorship of my spouse)
a copy of the electronic payment receipt
If your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident before we get your request, you can’t withdraw the application. You’ll have to respect your sponsorship obligations.

Refunds
If you withdraw your application:

before we start processing it, we’ll give you a total refund
after we start processing it but before we decide on your sponsorship eligibility, we’ll refund:
the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF)
all processing fees (except the sponsorship fee)
after we start processing it and after we decide on your sponsorship eligibility, we’ll only refund the RPRF.

So, you just request the withdraw via web form. Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation, best of luck with everything.

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
Sigh... Thank you so much but what will happen to her?
If she has a work permit as it sounds like she does, she’ll be able to remain in Canada for the duration of that permit.
After that she’ll have to return to her home country or qualify for PR using a different stream (for example Express Entry).

Alfredbojimbo

Apr 18, 2019
Is there anything that could possibly be of concern in long run? Have there been any other instances like mine that could be of reference? Thank you so much for your support

Mar1219

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Is there anything that could possibly be of concern in long run? Have there been any other instances like mine that could be of reference? Thank you so much for your support
Try to do some searching around on here, I’m sure you’ll find something. Has your app begun processing yet?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone... I feel like I am in a terrible situation. I fell in love with a woman from outside the country while she was attempting to get residency. Her work permit expired. We communicated for 6 months.
She came back. We got married. Since she has belittled and disregarded my emotions. She was so disrespectful towards my thoughts while all I could do was support her. She ended the relationship on my birthday because I couldn't find my phone and asked to use hers(that I had bought her out of her demands). She said I could use it then came down and ended the relationship. She contradicted herself. she said I couldn't use it. On her birthday she got her work permit. I've spent every dime on her thinking that it was just a phase. I have been doing everything I can to make her happy even afterwards. She still thinks that my emotions are invalid. I feel like I have been tricked. I love her regardless though I feel that what she has been doing has all for her entry into canada.(through me)
Can someone please tell me what happens if I cancel the sponsorship? Can someone please tell me if it is the right thing for me to do?
She came here to get married to me in a rush. It was as if she disregarded my thoughts on preparation for the big moment. It cripples my mind knowing that I was just used. I was so happy to marry her. I think that she was so happy to be in Canada.
If the relationship is ended, even if you are not yet divorced, you are obligated to inform IRCC and withdraw your application to sponsor her.
Continuing the application would be misrepresentation and immigration fraud, which could have serious consequences for both of you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=732&top=14

How do I withdraw my application for family sponsorship?
Send us your request using this Web form.

In the text field, include:
  • Your name,
  • Your date of birth,
  • Your complete address,
  • The date the application was sent,
  • Your client ID number (if available),
  • The type of application (for example, sponsorship of my spouse),
  • The reason for the withdrawal.
In the Web form, upload:
  • A copy of the electronic payment receipt,
    or
  • a copy of both sides of the payment receipt (form IMM 5401).
Note: If your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident before we get your cancellation request, we can’t cancel your application. You will have to respect your sponsorship obligations.

See also: Will I get my fees back if I withdraw my sponsorship application?

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Sorry about your relationship, however in your posting the women has emotionally and verbally abused used after getting married .
It sounds like , and it’s unfortunate, she used you to get back to Canada.
If the relationship has broken down , and it sounds like has, you have to advise the CIC and stop the sponsorship process , nothing less is immigration fraud
Secondly, walk away
Her status in Canada will be valid till the end of her work permit status , after that, she’s on her own, not your concern, and of importance, you’re not responsible for her financially for the three years
There seems to be all these signs that she used you , you mentioned it. Where there’s smoke there’s fire....
When you cancel the sponsorship I’m sure she’ll turn into the most wonderful sweet loving person ( they almost always do), just remember how she treated you . She probably thinks by marrying you, it’s her final ticket into Canada, and that the PR sponsorship is just a formality
“ Fool me once, shame on you , fool me twice, shame on me “, you don’t want to be that fool
Forgot to add, find a divorce lawyer , pronto

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like you were aware that her goal was immigration. If your relationship has never been good I can only imagine what would happen after she gets her PR card. You will be financially responsible for her for 3 years after she gets PR. If she files for welfare could you pay the government back monthly? It is incredibly hard to remove someone after they get PR. Also for support reason after divorce it is best to end the relationship as soon as possible.