+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I buy travel/health insurance policy from Indian companies before arriving to Canada?

kumar_ap

Feb 12, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
File Transfer...
03-09-2019
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
23-01-2019
Whom should I prefer for my temporary travel/health insurance policy for 3 months coverage?

Shall I go with Indian insurance companies prior to my arrival to Canada Or Canadian Insurance companies.

I am not sure if Canadian hospitals accept the foreign insurance policies. Please suggest

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Whom should I prefer for my temporary travel/health insurance policy for 3 months coverage?

Shall I go with Indian insurance companies prior to my arrival to Canada Or Canadian Insurance companies.

I am not sure if Canadian hospitals accept the foreign insurance policies. Please suggest
Canadian. It will make it much easier for you if you should need to claim.

kumar_ap

Feb 12, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
File Transfer...
03-09-2019
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
23-01-2019
Canadian. It will make it much easier for you if you should need to claim.
Can I buy the insurance prior to my arrival and if so which is the suitable one?

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed with zardoz that it is way easier to deal with a Canadian insurance provider when it comes to visitors insurance. As for which insurance plan to choose, there are quite a few options available on the market for people coming over to Canada.

I would suggest to take a look and compare different insurance plans before getting the policy to make sure that you are getting the best coverage for your budget. Policies from providers like Manulife, while well-known and provide sufficient medical emergency coverage, are a bit pricey on average. You might get similar coverage at a lower rate by going with a different insurer.

Just note that all insurance policies for visitors to Canada and new immigrants (which is the exact same product) will only cover medical emergency treatment for unexpected things like sickness and injury, while not providing any coverage whatsoever for routine check-ups, over-the-counter medications, continuation of an ongoing treatment and elective medical care procedures among other non-emergency care.

And yes, it is best if you get your insurance policy before leaving your home country and arriving in Canada so that you coverage, depending on the plan of your choice, start either on the date of your arrival in Canada or the date of your departure from your home country.

You will be able to get a personal quote as well as compare different options here - Temporary Medical Insurance

JohnAntony88

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
I am coming with my wife and 1 year old kid. We did not have any health insurance here? Will it be an issue in getting health insurance coverage for the 1st three months or for OHIP?

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Agreed with zardoz that it is way easier to deal with a Canadian insurance provider when it comes to visitors insurance. As for which insurance plan to choose, there are quite a few options available on the market for people coming over to Canada.

I would suggest to take a look and compare different insurance plans before getting the policy to make sure that you are getting the best coverage for your budget. Policies from providers like Manulife, while well-known and provide sufficient medical emergency coverage, are a bit pricey on average. You might get similar coverage at a lower rate by going with a different insurer.

Just note that all insurance policies for visitors to Canada and new immigrants (which is the exact same product) will only cover medical emergency treatment for unexpected things like sickness and injury, while not providing any coverage whatsoever for routine check-ups, over-the-counter medications, continuation of an ongoing treatment and elective medical care procedures among other non-emergency care.

And yes, it is best if you get your insurance policy before leaving your home country and arriving in Canada so that you coverage, depending on the plan of your choice, start either on the date of your arrival in Canada or the date of your departure from your home country.

You will be able to get a personal quote as well as compare different options here - Temporary Medical Insurance
Can someone get a medical coverage if am not yet sure of my arrival date,for ex a 3 month coverage that is valid for a one year regardless of my arrival date?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can someone get a medical coverage if am not yet sure of my arrival date,for ex a 3 month coverage that is valid for a one year regardless of my arrival date?
I doubt it would be possible. Insurance is quoted based on the circumstances/risk at the time of purchase.

Reactions: Wolverine17

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am coming with my wife and 1 year old kid. We did not have any health insurance here? Will it be an issue in getting health insurance coverage for the 1st three months or for OHIP?
You can purchase emergency health coverage for the first 3 months. Any routine appointments would not be covered until OHIP kicks in at 3 months. Would recommend it especially given you have a 1 year old. Kids are unpredictable.

Reactions: JohnAntony88

JohnAntony88

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
You can purchase emergency health coverage for the first 3 months. Any routine appointments would not be covered until OHIP kicks in at 3 months. Would recommend it especially given you have a 1 year old. Kids are unpredictable.
Understood. Thank you:)

Which Insurance company would you recommend? Manulife is preferred by everyone, but i find their premium rates too high. How about destination canada? Does it have good coverage in Toronto or GTA areas?

SoSaPB

Star Member
Dec 10, 2018
But canadian ones turn out to be twice the cost. If you are a visitor ,isnt it a good idea to buy from Indian ones?

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
But canadian ones turn out to be twice the cost. If you are a visitor ,isnt it a good idea to buy from Indian ones?
The reason for Buying Canadian one’s are there’s a seemless integration between the insurance companies and the hospitals because the insurer is from Canada. If it is from back home, there may be some hiccups in the claim process, etc.

When you say the cost, can you provide me details of the cost from the Indian insurance companies. I can provide you Canadian insurance companies costs and we can compare.

Last edited:

b87

May 15, 2019
india
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2019
Passport Req..
Hi there,
Please let me know which Insurance did you opt for ?

@derkdsou, Sir you insights on this please.

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
I haven't thought about this yet. I know that Indian policies don't cover care outside of India. Any cover provided for accident or emergencies outside of India by an Indian policy usually requires repatriation of the policy holder back to India for the delivery of care. Always read the fine print!

I don't know if this thread is meant for tourists, students or PRs - I'm guessing PRs - I only read the title of the thread.

Hi there,
Please let me know which Insurance did you opt for ?

@derkdsou, Sir you insights on this please.

Last edited: