+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I be worried?

QNX

Sep 23, 2016
Hi everyone,
I sent my application on 12 Aug and until now I haven’t received AOR
In my application I requested a minor change in spelling of my family name , unnecessary definite article, my request was not supported by any extra documents ( it’s solely officer's decision ) ,do you think the latter request is the main reason behind the delay ?

QNX

Sep 23, 2016
I forgot to mention that my application was associated with an explanation of my request on a separate paper.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QNX said:
I forgot to mention that my application was associated with an explanation of my request on a separate paper.
I did the same thing with my name, you better write them that you don't want to have that minor change any more. It will save you a lot of trouble, as - 1. even if your officer will approve the change you won't be able to get passport until your every other document (driving licence, OHIP) will reflect the same last name as Citizenship certificate.
2. IRCC's website states that changing your name (minor or major change, they don't care) will put your application in non-routine state.

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for sharing this important information.

I submitted my application together with my son's (as minor). Within his application, I submitted his legal name change certificate issued by Service Ontario. Will this name change request be considered as non-routine application?

march2016

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shyurun79 said:

I submitted my application together with my son's (as minor). Within his application, I submitted his legal name change certificate issued by Service Ontario. Will this name change request be considered as non-routine application?
these are the things that make an application which includes a name change too

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
march2016 said:
these are the things that make an application which includes a name change too
Well, I guess Non-routine it is :'( Hopefully it won't take >36 months, which will be a totally nightmare.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shyurun79 said:

When it's family application, even if one person gets into non-routine schedule, everyone in application will be affected.

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did not realize submit with a legal name change will cause significant delay as I searched online there were not many similar cases. If anyone had similar situation could share your experience that will be much appreciated.

QNX

Sep 23, 2016
I called IRCC last Monday and miraculously received AOR the next day!!

Although IRCC agents are quite passive and a robotic, but I can’t help it not to link the two events.

The agent told me your request of minor change of spelling could be the reason behind the delay. When I told him I prefer to cancel my request, it’s just not worth it, he replied: regardless, you have to wait for 2-3 weeks, and if nothing happened, then call us again, you cannot send us a letter to discard/cancel your request while there is no record of your application.

This is quite baffling, no record of my application and yet 6 weeks of delay, that means my application file was at someone’s desk who is waiting for any excuse to put any file on hold, the application hasn’t processed yet and if I insisted on carrying on with my request , the processing time might be a year or so.(thank you ambient2)

The moral of the story is this: keep your application as simple as possible, don’t request for name change or asking them for anything

One more thing I figured out while speaking with the agent, they don’t like to be overwhelmed with extra documents unless it’s necessary.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QNX said:
This is quite baffling, no record of my application and yet 6 weeks of delay, that means my application file was at someone’s desk who is waiting for any excuse to put any file on hold, the application hasn’t processed yet and if I insisted on carrying on with my request , the processing time might be a year or so.(thank you ambient2)
you are welcome,
One thing to consider from my personal experience, after getting AOR I've got a call from CO to clarify the change. If I had known at that time what kind of issues I would face with that, I would have asked her not to change the name.
Later I sent the letter to the local office about reverting my name back to the original, but that was one year after applying, after passing my citizenship test 4 months prior to that and basically after I've been thrown to the limbo. I took me another year, application for mandamus, few thousand dollars and a lot of stress to come out from this limbo.
Hope you'll be more lucky
Cheers