+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should I apply via express entry or self employed ??

gorkemgrkm

Oct 20, 2017
Hi everyone
I have two bachelors degree that I obtained out of canada (electrical engineering,business administration )
Post graduate degree (centennial college project management)
Good level of english

After graduation I havent worked in any of those field , I started to play poker professionally
so far this year I have made about 90k.
I am quite sure in this specific field of poker I am the most winning canadian this year.

My work permit is going to end on April 2019.
There is a NOC category for poker players (5251-B /athletes/poker player)
The processing time for self employed person is 50 months

So should I apply via express entry or self employed category ?

I am kind of information blind in this case, so any information would help.

appreciate

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would go with Express Entry if you can get enough points. To qualify, you'll need to prove that you have at least one year of full time and paid work experience. I'm not sure how that works given you play poker for a living. Do you have work experience from outside of Canada?

The Self Employed stream often takes many many years and it's difficult to be accepted.

gorkemgrkm

Oct 20, 2017
I have a tracker that shows every hand I have played , the time I spend and the money I won. I believe there will be no problem to prove that.
roughly my point for express entry pool will be low 400s.

As a self employed ,I am not going to receive a job offer ,but i am definitely going to play poker next year too.
Do you know how is that valid job offer thing works for self employed ones ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To get job offer points you need to have an approved LMIA from an employer and a permanent job offer. There is no way to get job offer points as a self-employed individual. You want your points to be 430+ to have a good chance of being selected.

To count a year of work experience, you need to have 52 weeks where you worked 30 hours or more each - or the equivalent in part time hours.

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
I have a tracker that shows every hand I have played , the time I spend and the money I won. I believe there will be no problem to prove that.
roughly my point for express entry pool will be low 400s.

As a self employed ,I am not going to receive a job offer ,but i am definitely going to play poker next year too.
Do you know how is that valid job offer thing works for self employed ones ?
You don't need a job offer to apply under the self employed stream. So if you feel you can convince an immigration officer of your eligibility under their guidelines, by all means give it a go. However, if you can get the points under Express Entry that would be a better option. It's usually way less complicated and more transparent. Just a correction though. Processing of a self employed application can take as little as a year. Mine did. So have others right here on this forum. Si it's upon you to weigh which one is less riskier

benja

Mar 10, 2017
Immigrating as a self-employed person requires specific experience mentioned here, so I think I cannot apply for another area like software consultancy, am I mistaken on this?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/self-employed/eligibility.html#definitions

Relevant experience

Your experience is relevant if you have:

• taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
  • been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics or
  • experience managing a farm