+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should I apply via express entry or self employed ??

Discussion in 'Business Immigration' started by gorkemgrkm, Nov 23, 2017.

  1. Hi everyone
    I have two bachelors degree that I obtained out of canada (electrical engineering,business administration )
    Post graduate degree (centennial college project management)
    Good level of english

    After graduation I havent worked in any of those field , I started to play poker professionally
    so far this year I have made about 90k.
    I am quite sure in this specific field of poker I am the most winning canadian this year.

    My work permit is going to end on April 2019.
    There is a NOC category for poker players (5251-B /athletes/poker player)
    The processing time for self employed person is 50 months

    So should I apply via express entry or self employed category ?

    I am kind of information blind in this case, so any information would help.

  2. I would go with Express Entry if you can get enough points. To qualify, you'll need to prove that you have at least one year of full time and paid work experience. I'm not sure how that works given you play poker for a living. Do you have work experience from outside of Canada?

    The Self Employed stream often takes many many years and it's difficult to be accepted.
  3. I have a tracker that shows every hand I have played , the time I spend and the money I won. I believe there will be no problem to prove that.
    roughly my point for express entry pool will be low 400s.

    As a self employed ,I am not going to receive a job offer ,but i am definitely going to play poker next year too.
    Do you know how is that valid job offer thing works for self employed ones ?
  4. To get job offer points you need to have an approved LMIA from an employer and a permanent job offer. There is no way to get job offer points as a self-employed individual. You want your points to be 430+ to have a good chance of being selected.

    To count a year of work experience, you need to have 52 weeks where you worked 30 hours or more each - or the equivalent in part time hours.
  5. You don't need a job offer to apply under the self employed stream. So if you feel you can convince an immigration officer of your eligibility under their guidelines, by all means give it a go. However, if you can get the points under Express Entry that would be a better option. It's usually way less complicated and more transparent. Just a correction though. Processing of a self employed application can take as little as a year. Mine did. So have others right here on this forum. Si it's upon you to weigh which one is less riskier
  6. Immigrating as a self-employed person requires specific experience mentioned here, so I think I cannot apply for another area like software consultancy, am I mistaken on this?


    Relevant experience

    Your experience is relevant if you have:

    • taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
    • been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics or
    • experience managing a farm

Share This Page