+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for Bridging Open Work Permit? Help!

Oily Oyster

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
CEC
Hey guys,

Just wanted to consult on the above. My current status is the following:

Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results: You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics: We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

My e-APR (CEC) was September 22 and my medicals passed somewhere around October 20 ±2.
My current work permit expires December 5.

What do you, esp. experienced guys, think? Is it worth taking a chance that the PR will be confirmed in time or should I just go ahead and apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit?

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited:

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
The BOWP forms are straightforward compared to PR so you can afford to wait until a few days before your WP expires.

Reactions: Oily Oyster

skaur78620

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi guys,

My status is

Work Permit expiring on 10th Dec,
Have started the express entry profile as my 1 year experience got completed on October 20th
I am getting 441 points

But I have one Uncle here who is my Dad's cousin Brother, can I claim points for him???

Means my Dad's Father and my Uncle's Father are Real Brother.... will I be able to get points for this.

All replies are appreciable and Big Thanks in advance.

Oily Oyster

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
CEC
The BOWP forms are straightforward compared to PR so you can afford to wait until a few days before your WP expires.
Thanks for replying, Monkeyspanner. Just a quick follow up question. So, I thought it was required to apply for renewal at least 30 days before expiry. Any official government of Canada reference where it says I can apply so close to work permit expiry date? Apologies for the trouble. Thanks for the help :)

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Thanks for replying, Monkeyspanner. Just a quick follow up question. So, I thought it was required to apply for renewal at least 30 days before expiry. Any official government of Canada reference where it says I can apply so close to work permit expiry date? Apologies for the trouble. Thanks for the help :)
30 days is what IRCC request. In reality many people cannot do that and have to apply closer to the expiry of WP. It is fine to do it earlier. One thing to remember is that whilst the BOWP is in processing after your WP expires you will lose any implied status if you leave Canada.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Hey guys,

Just wanted to consult on the above. My current status is the following:

Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results: You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics: We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

My e-APR (CEC) was September 22 and my medicals passed somewhere around October 20 ±2.
My current work permit expires December 5.

What do you, esp. experienced guys, think? Is it worth taking a chance that the PR will be confirmed in time or should I just go ahead and apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit?

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks :)
I tried to find an answer about what happens after PPR, but couldn't find much and mostly they are for people from abroad.

From what I understood, you cannot work until you get CoPR form and land at the border or at their office. Getting CoPR form itself seems to take a month after you get PPR. So, I am guessing you need to be prepared to apply for BOWP. You could wait and as long as you apply before expiry, you should be fine.