+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply a visitor visa to canada then apply for the work permit afterward

Jul 10, 2019
Dear All,
Currently, my wife will go to canada as student visa at the end of August, and I have chance to apply a work permit from my country, however, the processing time is quite long, it may take 36 weeks. As I check from goverment website the process just need for 8-12 weeks. So could you guys give me some advice for my issue, should I apply for a visitor visa first then change it to a work permit immidately whenever I come to Canada ? did anyone caused the same situation ? Thanks in advance,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,
Currently, my wife will go to canada as student visa at the end of August, and I have chance to apply a work permit from my country, however, the processing time is quite long, it may take 36 weeks. As I check from goverment website the process just need for 8-12 weeks. So could you guys give me some advice for my issue, should I apply for a visitor visa first then change it to a work permit immidately whenever I come to Canada ? did anyone caused the same situation ? Thanks in advance,
You likely will be denied a TRV because you are not looking to temporarily visits Canada you want to remain in Canada. You should apply for a SOWP. Spouses of international students aren’t guaranteed visas/permits. Some get confused because it says you can apply.

Jul 10, 2019
You likely will be denied a TRV because you are not looking to temporarily visits Canada you want to remain in Canada. You should apply for a SOWP. Spouses of international students aren’t guaranteed visas/permits. Some get confused because it says you can apply.
Thanks Canuck78, thats great to have your suggestion, I think I will apply as your suggest, Best regards,