+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should finish applying for permanent residence before leaving the US?

comeafteralone

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was an international student in the US. After graduating from college, I stayed and worked here for a few years.

From doing research, it seems that I should obtain FBI report (US police certificate) and apply for permanent residence via EE program before I leave the United States to make sure that FBI report is still valid by the time my application is reviewed. Is that correct?

If I leave the US but obtain FBI report before I leave, this report will no longer be accepted by the CIC and I will need to apply for another FBI report from my home country/new country of residence. Is this right?

Does anyone have experience with this or have some feedback you can provide me?
Will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

gill2038

Apr 29, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-08-2017
Passport Req..
02-10-2017
Hi everyone,

I was an international student in the US. After graduating from college, I stayed and worked here for a few years.

From doing research, it seems that I should obtain FBI report (US police certificate) and apply for permanent residence via EE program before I leave the United States to make sure that FBI report is still valid by the time my application is reviewed. Is that correct?

If I leave the US but obtain FBI report before I leave, this report will no longer be accepted by the CIC and I will need to apply for another FBI report from my home country/new country of residence. Is this right?

Thank you!
I was in similar situation. I applied for PR in US and then left US. I have not received PPR yet but I have informed CIC about address change through CSE. U can do same after leaving US.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
(assuming also submitting an FBI PCC
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
I think both of your conclusions are correct. You can either

1. Complete the EE application (meaning receiving AOR) before you leave the US with a recent FBI report - in that case you will need to update IRCC on your change of address/residency after your leave US, or,

2. Leave US, apply and receive FBI report, then complete your EE application (again, AOR)

What NOT to do - apply and receive FBI report, leave US on a date later than the FBI report issue date, then complete EE application. In that case your FBI report will not be valid because it was issued before the last date you lived in the US.