+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shorter pg work permit, weird job position

nalwazir

Nov 7, 2004
Hi, I hope you're all doing well.

I have a few questions, and i would appreciate your help.

here it goes:

1- My postgrad wp was issued for 2 years due to the expiry date on my passport. can i get the missing year (year 3) by extending it once i get my passport renewed?

2- Does the 1 year full time experience have to be 12 consecutive months? if i take a break for a month or 2, does that restart the counter?

3 - My current position is designated as a coop/internship position.. which i got after graduation as a fluke in a way... the position title is in the qualified NOC list.. is the "Coop" designation gonna affect my application under the CEC?

I hope you guys have an idea on such a situation, especially 1 and 3...

this is great forum and you guys have indirectly answered allot of my questions, i hope that i might get an answer for those as well..

thank you in a advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, judging from other peoples experience, you can renew your passport and then ask for your work permit to be extended for the 3rd year.

2. No, you need to have 1 year full time or equivalent in the 2 years after you graduate. 1 year full time is 1950 hours so if it takes you up to 2 years to get the 1950 hours, that's fine.

3. I do not know if the coop designation will affect it.

nalwazir

Nov 7, 2004
Thank you Leon, U cleared some of my doubts. I am hoping that the COOP thing wont be an issue as i got the position after graduation, Which is the requirement for the CEC.

I am also curious about the following: If i switch my job to a completely different field/position but still within the appropriate NOC positions, is that counted as well?

say for example i switch from systems analyst(NOC#2171) to Event planner (NOC#1226)... both Skill level A. 6-8 months in the first and 6+ months in the second. is the switch bad in this case?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, there is no requirement for CEC that you stay with the same job or same NOC over the full year. NOC code 1226 is not skill level A by the way, it is skill level B but that is also a skilled job so it should not matter.