CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
I started the process to get my FBI PCC early and got my FBI PCC in Feb 2017 and then an ITA in March 2017. However, I traveled to the US for a couple of short trips in March 2017. However, the last time I technically lived in the US was Aug 2013. Anybody in a similar situation who did not have to get a new PCC. This would make it impossible to travel to any country where you have lived while trying to submit your application...since the instructions say that one needs to only provide a PCC that is issued after you last "lived" in a country.

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
Option 1: Apply for a new US PCC and submit the proof in your e-APR and request IRCC to grant you extension to submit this PCC.

Option 2: At the mercy of the VO - Submit the existing PCC that you have and explain that you went for short trips in LOE and request them to accept it. If not acceptable, then kindly let them know that you are ready to obtain a new PCC on request.

Option 1 is recommended, but then you can take the risk with option 2.
Choice is always yours.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
samroc said:
I started the process to get my FBI PCC early and got my FBI PCC in Feb 2017 and then an ITA in March 2017. However, I traveled to the US for a couple of short trips in March 2017. However, the last time I technically lived in the US was Aug 2013. Anybody in a similar situation who did not have to get a new PCC. This would make it impossible to travel to any country where you have lived while trying to submit your application...since the instructions say that one needs to only provide a PCC that is issued after you last "lived" in a country.
Choose option 1 from the above post.

Nuff_Love

Star Member
Aug 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why is it necessary to get another PCC? You did not spend another 6 months in the country.

Tmys

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Passport Req..
29-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2017
LANDED..........
24-04-2017
Nuff_Love said:
Why is it necessary to get another PCC? You did not spend another 6 months in the country.
Consensus on this forum is that you need a new PCC if your PCC was issued before the last time you left that country.

I took this advice and I actually got a new PCC for my spouse even though she had gotten it during her last trip to that country. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Srushti

Oct 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Option 1 only !

Tmys

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Passport Req..
29-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2017
LANDED..........
24-04-2017
Nuff_Love said:
Did anyone contacted CIC about this?
I called CIC. They did not give me a definitive answer. Why would anyone risk their PR app for such a small matter though?

Nuff_Love

Star Member
Aug 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is FBI PCC takes forever. I applied for mine in Marc 22, 2017. I expect to travel next month. I expect to receive the PCC next month. If I get the PCC while I am there or before I travel you are saying that I need to apply for a new one?

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
The issue for me is that the language states that it should be issued after you last lived in a country....there is a big difference between living somewhere and traveling/visiting for a short duration. For reference see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:

are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.

have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

In the first scenario, I think if you got the PCC in Feb 2017 but traveled to the US in April 2017 - it was still technically issued in the last six months if you count the visit as still living there...either way that PCC covers all periods up until Feb 2017 even if you travel afterwards. Shouldn't the timer reset after you get a PCC and its only a few months old...

In the second one, if you technically didn't have a residential address when you visited after the issuance, it should still be valid.

I understand why it is safer to get a new one but the above guidance does leave room for VO discretion.

Nuff_Love

Star Member
Aug 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samroc said:
The issue for me is that the language states that it should be issued after you last lived in a country....there is big difference between living somewhere and traveling/visiting for a short duration. For reference see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.

have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

In the first scenario, I think if you got the PCC in Feb 2017 but traveled to the US in April 2017 - it was still technically issued in the last six months if you count the visit as still living there...either way that PCC covers all periods up until Feb 2017 even if you travel afterwards. Shouldn't the timer reset after you get a PCC and its only a few months old...

In the second one, if you technically didn't have a residential address when you visited after the issuance, it should still be valid.

I understand why it is safer to get a new one but the above guidance does leave room for VO discretion.
I agree with you. I think I would need a new PCC if I travel and stayed 6 months after receiving my PCC.

Tmys

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Passport Req..
29-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2017
LANDED..........
24-04-2017
samroc said:
The issue for me is that the language states that it should be issued after you last lived in a country....there is big difference between living somewhere and traveling/visiting for a short duration. For reference see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

The problem is with the definition of lived there. There is no doubt that it is at the discretion of the VO to accept or ask for a new one.

The point is that there is no concrete guideline or definition of "lived there".

I know that the FBI PCC takes long. If you take the route of submitting the PCC that you have at least explain in the LOE.

Have a look at this post for more detailed discussion.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/police-clearance-certificateexpress-entry-t280589.0.html

Tmys

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Passport Req..
29-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2017
LANDED..........
24-04-2017
Nuff_Love said:
I agree with you. I think I would need a new PCC if I travel and stayed 6 months after receiving my PCC.
That's the part where there is a question because of the statement below:

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

At the end, it is your application and decision, I am just letting you know what I have found out from this forum. I was surprised as well but when I called and did not get a definite answer from CIC that's when I took the cautious route.

Again, explain in the LOE whatever route you end up taking

Nuff_Love

Star Member
Aug 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tmys said:
That's the part where there is a question because of the statement below:

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

At the end, it is your application and decision, I am just letting you know what I have found out from this forum. I was surprised as well but when I called and did not get a definite answer from CIC that's when I took the cautious route.

Again, explain in the LOE whatever route you end up taking
I will take the risk and let you guys know. Thanks for the advice.