+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Landing & Return Query

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
Short Landing & Return Query

Dear All

I'd like to thank all the people here, especially the veterans who are so informative and helpful. Kudos to you all.

Scenario

- My family & I landed on April 30, 2015 & returned on May 15,2015 [15 days in Canada]

- We have been wrapping up since then and plan to return on May 02, 2018 - and henceforth complete our residency obligations of 2 years.

Query

- Will we have a problem at entry to Canada (especially since it initially looks like we stayed out for more than 3 years but in fact we haven't, since we were in Canada for those 15 days. So upto May 15 2018 re-entry should be a safe range to re-enter.

- More importantly will the above create a problem in 2020 when renewing our PR Cards? Will it affect our PR status?

Facts

- I have a Brother and parents who are 'resident' citizens for the past 15 & 10+ years respectively.

- On our landing, we opened a joint bank account before leaving. We have been doing transactions through credit cards to build up a decent credit history without defaulting.

Your answers will really help us plan.

kind regards

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Similar case here with comments about cutting it fine with the RO in the initial 5 years period post landing, for sure there are other examples on this forum as well

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/730-days-rule-not-met.93209/page-2

Others can comment but if were me I would not leave it so close in just a few days to the full 3 years away given you cannot predict exactly what may or may not happen between now and then that might delay your return. Add to that of course having to stay put in Canada after you return until you meet the RO 4/2020

It is impossible to predict whether you might get additional scrutiny both on your return and when you come to renew your PR cards due to only having spent 15 days in the first 3 years in the country even with accumulating the required days after your return so as a minimum and stating the obvious be prepared to show proof of the 15 days.

The above is my personal view so ultimately the decision is yours whether to add more 'buffer' in terms of days by arriving that little bit earlier and as said others can comment as everyone has a different view on meeting the RO just in time and what issues may arise in doing so.

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
Dear BS65

Thank you for replying and educating us. I appreciate your comments and they make sense.

Cheers