+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Landing Experience (US - Canada by road, No h1b stamping)

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello all,
First of all thanks for all the help and guidance I received in this forum from the members. I want to share my short landing experience with all of you, hopefully it may help a little. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

US to Canada:
I stay in the US and decided to land via road. I rented a vehicle and drove to Peace Bridge. It said "Canada" and looked like "toll booth". The officer over there was nice, checked my passport and I 797(h1b) and asked me to park the car and go in the building at my left side. I went inside and straight to the counter. The lady asked me purpose and asked my passport and CoPR. I handed those over and waited for like 10 mins Another offer announced my name. I and my wife went to his counter. He asked me general questions like DOB, Name, marriage date and some casual questions. Asked us to sign our CoPR and provide address for PR delivery. I told that I am staying at my relatives and provided the address. He clarified that the PR card will be delivered over there and asked if I am OK with it. He informed me that we are now PR of Canada and welcomed. I clarified with him that we can travel with CoPR via road and cross the border as many times we want until we get the PR card. To travel through air we need PRTD and CoPR will not help at airports more than one time. All done there then asked me to visit another counter for Goods in possession and Goods to Follow list stamping. Another gentleman here.. checked my list stamped and gave me copy and clarified that if I bring any stuff which is not on the list, may have to pay the duty.

Please note that they don't need any photographs of ANY item. (please double check on the CIC website), at least that's what the officer told me. If one has provided all the details and documents in the profile correctly there will be lesser questions during the landing.

Next day I got my SIN done, it's a 20 mins process (all you need is passport and CoPR) and also Bank Account done. Please note that SIN is not required to open a Bank Account so in case you reach Canada and realize that SIN office is closed (it closed at 4 PM) and have time left then probably you can visit bank and get the account open. Banks are open till 8 PM during weekdays. This is will save some time next day. One can add SIN to the account later.

Also, I got our photographs clicked at local photo studio for Canada PR and left the copies with my friend, this way I will save time and money on shipping if they ask for photographs again. I noticed that recently lot of people are getting requests for photographs for PR card and they have to ship it.

Canada to US:
I entered back to US via Peace Bridge. Officer checked my passport and i 797. He asked me reason for not having any stamp for my h1b. I explained him that I couldn't leave country after my h1b extention. That's all. I had Automatic Visa Revalidation printouts ready with me regardless.I entered back safely without any issue.

Thanks,
Chikoo

gurpidesa

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Awesome and great post. So you didnt face any issue for AVR while coming back to US. If you dont mind, can you please tell the number of months left on your H1b extension?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hello all,
First of all thanks for all the help and guidance I received in this forum from the members. I want to share my short landing experience with all of you, hopefully it may help a little. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

US to Canada:
I stay in the US and decided to land via road. I rented a vehicle and drove to Peace Bridge. It said "Canada" and looked like "toll booth". The officer over there was nice, checked my passport and I 797(h1b) and asked me to park the car and go in the building at my left side. I went inside and straight to the counter. The lady asked me purpose and asked my passport and CoPR. I handed those over and waited for like 10 mins Another offer announced my name. I and my wife went to his counter. He asked me general questions like DOB, Name, marriage date and some casual questions. Asked us to sign our CoPR and provide address for PR delivery. I told that I am staying at my relatives and provided the address. He clarified that the PR card will be delivered over there and asked if I am OK with it. He informed me that we are now PR of Canada and welcomed. I clarified with him that we can travel with CoPR via road and cross the border as many times we want until we get the PR card. To travel through air we need PRTD and CoPR will not help at airports more than one time. All done there then asked me to visit another counter for Goods in possession and Goods to Follow list stamping. Another gentleman here.. checked my list stamped and gave me copy and clarified that if I bring any stuff which is not on the list, may have to pay the duty.

Please note that they don't need any photographs of ANY item. (please double check on the CIC website), at least that's what the officer told me. If one has provided all the details and documents in the profile correctly there will be lesser questions during the landing.

Next day I got my SIN done, it's a 20 mins process (all you need is passport and CoPR) and also Bank Account done. Please note that SIN is not required to open a Bank Account so in case you reach Canada and realize that SIN office is closed (it closed at 4 PM) and have time left then probably you can visit bank and get the account open. Banks are open till 8 PM during weekdays. This is will save some time next day. One can add SIN to the account later.

Also, I got our photographs clicked at local photo studio for Canada PR and left the copies with my friend, this way I will save time and money on shipping if they ask for photographs again. I noticed that recently lot of people are getting requests for photographs for PR card and they have to ship it.

Canada to US:
I entered back to US via Peace Bridge. Officer checked my passport and i 797. He asked me reason for not having any stamp for my h1b. I explained him that I couldn't leave country after my h1b extention. That's all. I had Automatic Visa Revalidation printouts ready with me regardless.I entered back safely without any issue.

Thanks,
Chikoo
Congrats...but not sure how you got it....going to Canada is leaving the country ...so I thought u need to have Visa stamping when u come back to USA country even if from canada

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Please note that they don't need any photographs of ANY item. (please double check on the CIC website), at least that's what the officer told me.
I caution anyone landing with high dollar items to take photos with them. Mine was checked twice (once upon short landing, and once upon making the final move).

Reactions: chikoo1985

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Awesome and great post. So you didnt face any issue for AVR while coming back to US. If you dont mind, can you please tell the number of months left on your H1b extension?
No. I think now all the officers are aware of AVR because of the inflow. My current h1b is expiring in Sept 2018.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
I caution anyone landing with high dollar items to take photos with them. Mine was checked twice (once upon short landing, and once upon making the final move).
Make sense. I just shared my experience. Getting the photos done is not a big deal and it's better to be safe then sorry.

KrCanada

Apr 29, 2018
Guys,

I have a very old i 94 (2009) and it is in paper . Will this be a problem ?
Also my expired visa stamp is with my earlier employer and my current i797 is with a different employer . Will this be a problem ?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Guys,

I have a very old i 94 (2009) and it is in paper . Will this be a problem ?
Also my expired visa stamp is with my earlier employer and my current i797 is with a different employer . Will this be a problem ?
So you have never left the US after 2009? You should have the latest approval notice with an I-94 at the bottom, that's your I-94 now.

KrCanada

Apr 29, 2018
thanks...what do you recommend..should i go to vancouver or toronto ? which one is easier for AVR ..and also should i go for Air or land ? Just want to reduce all the stress ..:)

Pravin7

Jan 25, 2018
Hi friends.. I have a expired visa in my expired old passport.I do not have any stamping in my current passport. Am I eligible for AVR with just the approved I-797 and I-94

KrCanada

Apr 29, 2018
Hi friends.. I have a expired visa in my expired old passport.I do not have any stamping in my current passport. Am I eligible for AVR with just the approved I-797 and I-94
Yes , you are . i have the same situation and did my avr last month without any issues.

Pravin7

Jan 25, 2018
Yes , you are . i have the same situation and did my avr last month without any issues.
Great.Thanks friend.That will save me a lot of effort.. else..I would have gone to india for stamping and now with the 221g scare..would have been total uncertainty.
Still waiting for my I797 approval..once I get it I will do soft landing..
Any other tips you like to share

Warner C

Dec 11, 2018
Thanks a lot everyone for sharing your experiences. The time line and the age of the post helps a lot. Will post my experience when it is due.

Bill922

Nov 26, 2018
Great.Thanks friend.That will save me a lot of effort.. else..I would have gone to india for stamping and now with the 221g scare..would have been total uncertainty.
Still waiting for my I797 approval..once I get it I will do soft landing..
Any other tips you like to share
Hello friend, did you make successful soft landing? I am in the same boat as yours. Expired H1B stamp and worried about 221g. Thanks.