Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
My husband and I are intending to do a short landing (of about a week) in March, and then permanently move to Canada in December. However, my husband was given a medical surveillance form with the visa. I am wondering whether anyone on here had a similar situation and whether it is possible to defer the medical surveillance until the permanent move to Canada? How to handle this situation?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My relative was also asked to undergo medical surveillance for TB. I don't know if it will be the same for your case. My relative had to call the nearest health authority in the region after they landed, and they explained they'd only stay in Canada for a month. They were made to call again just before leaving Canada just to say they'll be out of the country for the foreseeable future. Then they'd have to report again next time they're in Canada, and they'll have to undergo the surveillance once they've settled permanently. I know for TB it takes a few months, up to a year, based on what I've read on this forum. Might vary depending on your husband's condition.

TL;DR, just report upon landing and call again when leaving.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
bellaluna said:
My relative was also asked to undergo medical surveillance for TB. I don't know if it will be the same for your case. My relative had to call the nearest health authority in the region after they landed, and they explained they'd only stay in Canada for a month. They were made to call again just before leaving Canada just to say they'll be out of the country for the foreseeable future. Then they'd have to report again next time they're in Canada, and they'll have to undergo the surveillance once they've settled permanently. I know for TB it takes a few months, up to a year, based on what I've read on this forum. Might vary depending on your husband's condition.

TL;DR, just report upon landing and call again when leaving.
Thanks so much! This is really helpful. I was stressing over it as I couldn't find any info on it online, but I figured we cannot be the only people ever who had this issue. Hopefully it won't have a negative effect on our future in Canada.

asohoni

Aug 30, 2017
Yes, we did our soft-landing. We were asked to do the medical surveillance after we permanently moved there.

vineet86

May 27, 2018
Hello,
I am in similar situation. Planning for soft landing for 2-3 days max.
Do I still need to contact the Health Center?
Only call and inform them, or a visit is required as well?
Need to send them any forms or what is the process in case of soft landing?

fangda

Sep 22, 2022
Though question was asked in 2017, I provide my thoughts in 2023. On the web page of IRCC "medical surveillance", it mentions that `If you were given a document at the port of entry telling you to report to your provincial or territorial public health authority in Canada within 7 or 30 days after arriving in Canada, you can disregard it. You only need to provide IRCC with your contact information when you have a home address and phone number in Canada. `. So maybe no need to contact Public Health Liaison Unit before you get a home address in Canada?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Though question was asked in 2017, I provide my thoughts in 2023. On the web page of IRCC "medical surveillance", it mentions that `If you were given a document at the port of entry telling you to report to your provincial or territorial public health authority in Canada within 7 or 30 days after arriving in Canada, you can disregard it. You only need to provide IRCC with your contact information when you have a home address and phone number in Canada. `. So maybe no need to contact Public Health Liaison Unit before you get a home address in Canada?
Ok since you had started that, you have to inform the province within this time period even though you have or not a permanent address, as the treatment will be done by provincial medical panel and keeps you in a line. Otherwise you will be reportedto IRCC that the person has entered in Canada but refusing to comlpy as it is a condition. Once you get that call you need to let them know the postcode and the province will give you an appointment in the nearest medical hospital.