Shipping personal goods from USA to Canada

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Hi all-

can anyone share their experience or suggestions with regards to moving personal belongings (mentioned on Goods to Follow) from USA (TX) to Toronto? What companies did you use? Did they handle customs for you? how much did they cost?

I landed May 2018 and have now settled in and want to move my belongings (33-medium sized boxes, mattress & its box, TV, accent chairs, 3-seat couch and coffee table). I don't have much items and everything is boxed and ready in a storage unit that I need moved over to my residence.

I don't have the time to drive from the US and prefer a shipping/moving company but most of whom I called charge in the north of $3500USD.

z0mbie

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Hi all-

can anyone share their experience or suggestions with regards to moving personal belongings (mentioned on Goods to Follow) from USA (TX) to Toronto? What companies did you use? Did they handle customs for you? how much did they cost?

I landed May 2018 and have now settled in and want to move my belongings (33-medium sized boxes, mattress & its box, TV, accent chairs, 3-seat couch and coffee table). I don't have much items and everything is boxed and ready in a storage unit that I need moved over to my residence.

I don't have the time to drive from the US and prefer a shipping/moving company but most of whom I called charge in the north of $3500USD.
My move from TX to NB was very smooth. Since it was not to Toronto or any other big city, it took them 1 month to deliver the boxes. Nothing was broken or missing. I inquired with lot of companies and they all gave similar price and long moving time as it was a long distance move.

Regarding customs, I am assuming you have your detailed goods to follow list (BSF forms) from when you landed. The truck driver will give you a call and ask you to meet at a local customs office in Toronto. Go to customs office and bring your passport, BSF forms, any other previous vehicle import forms etc. with you. It took them 5 mins to go over and stamp all the forms to complete customs paperwork. We then drove to my house and unloaded everything.

I paid USD6800 for move from TX to NB. Used Mayflower shipping company. Price included packing, loading, unloading and assembling of all furniture.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
My move from TX to NB was very smooth. Since it was not to Toronto or any other big city, it took them 1 month to deliver the boxes. Nothing was broken or missing. I inquired with lot of companies and they all gave similar price and long moving time as it was a long distance move.

Regarding customs, I am assuming you have your detailed goods to follow list (BSF forms) from when you landed. The truck driver will give you a call and ask you to meet at a local customs office in Toronto. Go to customs office and bring your passport, BSF forms, any other previous vehicle import forms etc. with you. It took them 5 mins to go over and stamp all the forms to complete customs paperwork. We then drove to my house and unloaded everything.

I paid USD6800 for move from TX to NB. Used Mayflower shipping company. Price included packing, loading, unloading and assembling of all furniture.
I agree to this... I moved from Atlanta to Ottawa... and yeah it costed me 3400 USD... keep ur list handy and when your driver comes in he will call you.. you go to customs sign a form.. 5 minutes and u r out... I took like 1.5. weeks for my stuff to reach.. it is only because I got through a company who are local Ottawa based

sidharth075

Dec 29, 2021

Hi,

How was your experience with Mayflower? We’re moving from the US to Toronto and I am actively looking for a moving company that’s reliable. Did they help you pack, load, transport and unpack at destination? Also did you directly have your stuff delivered to your destination home in Canada or did you hold it on storage? We don’t have a place in Toronto yet - so we are probably going to live in an apartment hotel for the first month or so. So was wondering where we can store our shipping container in the meantime. Also, how long did it take Mayflower to deliver your stuff to Canada?