+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ship good separately

Jun 25, 2010
Hi,

I'm asking this question that I posed in another thread but it was suggested I start a new thread on it.

I have not yet landed in Canada, but am trying to figure out the best path to do it from. I live in Seattle, but some of my goods are in Seattle and some are in upstate NY. I know that I can get some sort of duty free import if I make a list of items that I'm bringing in. However, how does this work if I'm giving the list to a moving company? Would I have to land first, get that list approved, and then give the moving company the list of items? Also does it make a difference if the moving company crosses into Quebec. I know that I can not land at a Quebec border, but if my goods are going from northern NY to Ontario, it would probably end up going through Quebec. Do I need to tell the moving company not to go through Quebec?

Thanks!

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
I am not sure about the Qubec portion of the question, but I did contact a moving company about moving our things from Wisconsin to London, Ontario. They wanted us to goto a specific consulate (he thought it was in Hamilton, Ontario)to have the truck opened there - then proceed to our final destination - we would have been required to meet them IN Hamilton, but do nothing at the border with them.

I believe we were meant to give the them the same list we intended to give the border.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
can_us,

You said "they wanted us to goto a specific consulate (he thought it was in Hamilton, Ontario)to have the truck opened there".
Did they require a search of your goods or just ask you to be there?

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
Allison_SVC

I haven't yet landed, and the gentleman didn't say. He said they would remove the tape that they'd placed on the truck at our home in WI (where they loaded the truck) - that no one would be allowed inside the back until we were in it's presence again.

I think it would depend on the officer who processed our arrival of goods. I have no idea why - it was Mayflower moving - who said that it was done that way and not anything to do on our behalf at the border for our goods - I guess I imagine we are meant to tell them it's by truck, and perhaps give a list - but that it was processed at that consulate vs border.

I looked into a different place recently, Uhaul has this new storage & uhaul system which has them moving your things and it kept defaulting to Brampton Ontario as a stop before proceeding to London also. :(

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Anyone else had experience with shipping goods to Canada?

canadausa

May 31, 2010
I haven't done it yet but am using United Van Lines to move our belongings to Toronto for us in about 10 days. They said they will take our list and make arrangements for a customs agent to meet the truck and us somewhere reasonably close to where we're moving to (location not determined yet). The truck would be sealed until we get there and meet the agent and get it cleared. They said they do this all the time and it's no big deal. My parents also did this a couple of years ago, met the truck and customs in a nearby major city to where they moved, and everything was fine. My mom had the list of items as 'goods to follow' when she crossed the border ahead of the moving truck (like days ahead of the truck). I should note that my parents are Canadian so this was them moving back as residents, and it will be the same for me (my hubby is American and we're waiting on his PR).