+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shift from FIFO to "Priority Cohorts": IRCC ATIP somewhat confirms they are not following FIFO

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Just to elaborate: We still don't know a lot about this ATIP. We don't know if this directive applies to all lines of business within IRCC even though we empirically observe this issue across the board. Also, this ATIP page does not show us what the definition of "Priority Cohort" is. Hopefully, we'll get more information soon as more people put pressure on IRCC to get us more answers via ATIPs or press releases

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I knew it. There had to be a reason why some people have been processed at breakneck speed, whilst others backlogged. Glad someone made the ATIP request, obviously using the correct legal language.

I previously asked if there was such a prioritization, and what the criteria were. The atip request was ignored.

• Sad
Reactions: shiremag

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
FIFO, modified FIFO, Priority Cohorts, Triage....this way or that way, utter fiasco!
At least be transparent with what you are doing... Not disclosing is frustrating

We still don't have a definition of what a Priority Cohort is...

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
At least be transparent with what you are doing... Not disclosing is frustrating

We still don't have a definition of what a Priority Cohort is...
Transperancy requires time n effort, quoting from earlier article shared today:

"Once we got into big volumes of applications, we had a choice: We either communicate with applicants about what’s happening, or we get on and process applications,” he said. “And so we were choosing the latter.”
‍:facepalm

• Wow
Reactions: AnonyKaty

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Transperancy requires time n effort, quoting from earlier article shared today:

"Once we got into big volumes of applications, we had a choice: We either communicate with applicants about what’s happening, or we get on and process applications,” he said. “And so we were choosing the latter.”
‍:facepalm
Excuse my "ignorance", but I re-read that quote five times and fail to understand it. Without transparency, it seems to me they are doing neither.

Communication doesn't have to be a "handwritten letter" or a personalized email. Communication could be automated and embedded within application process.

For example, when they request scanned copies of passport(s) they can simply reply with an automated email saying that the scanned document(s) was/were received. However, there is no communication about that. In fact, they even ask/insist to not contact them to confirm whether the document(s) was/were received. This is just one example. So how do you know? You don't! Until months later they send you another request for the same document(s). Or worst case - rejecting based on not receiving any documents. It is beyond frustrating.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Excuse my "ignorance", but I re-read that quote five times and fail to understand it. Without transparency, it seems to me they are doing neither.

Communication doesn't have to be a "handwritten letter" or a personalized email. Communication could be automated and embedded within application process.

For example, when they request scanned copies of passport(s) they can simply reply with an automated email saying that the scanned document(s) was/were received. However, there is no communication about that. In fact, they even ask/insist to not contact them to confirm whether the document(s) was/were received. This is just one example. So how do you know? You don't! Until months later they send you another request for the same document(s). Or worst case - rejecting based on not receiving any documents. It is beyond frustrating.
100% agree. They need to acknowledge the receipt of additional documentation that they request for!

It doesn't make sense that today, they don't have the technology to show you what documents have been requested and what you have provided on the portal. Also, if you have scheduled an event or request for more information attach the PDF to the tracker portal as well as sending it via email... People can miss e-mails some times

Transparency and effective communication is most important in my opinion

Reactions: Dr. Walden

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
And the other day, I was looking at @smeurrens tweet about fanfaluche, the Chinook is making...what a mess!
Actually, I have an anecdote regarding this. A friend of mine (from Ukraine) wanted to send his kids to study abroad in 2020-2021 in a Canadian high school. Two of them got approved without any issues or problems. The third one got rejected. They applied again. Rejected. Applied again. Rejected. No explanation. No comments. No feedback. Just rejection. They hired a lawyer. Applied again. Through the lawyer they finally got some information that the rejection was based on the father's nature of work thus making his kids inadmissible to Canada. Ok. How about the other two? The war happened. CUAET was introduced. The kid came to Canada in a matter of days. Logic?

• Wow
Reactions: Mounat and shiremag

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Clearly, there are structural issues IRCC needs to work on. I cite one example, the proof of citizenship application. It costs $75 which is shockingly low. Now I know why. It goes into a black hole for 7-8 months when such proof can be checked in 5 minutes. Then you dare not change your address or you'll have to use the dreaded "webform." And when you do use it, they don't check it for weeks or months at a time. And when you finally are approved, they mail you the citizenship certificate, arguably the most important identity/status document anyone has, by regular mail. And woe to those who apply from outside Canada. So between Canada Post and USPS, your certificate goes to la la land. Why not send it via Purolator, UPS or FedEx so it can be tracked and add the cost to the application fee? Why not offer premium processing, say $500 for the application guaranteed adjudication in 30 days or less? Sigh.

And don't even think about calling to ask about status.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Clearly, there are structural issues IRCC needs to work on. I cite one example, the proof of citizenship application. It costs $75 which is shockingly low. Now I know why. It goes into a black hole for 7-8 months when such proof can be checked in 5 minutes. Then you dare not change your address or you'll have to use the dreaded "webform." And when you do use it, they don't check it for weeks or months at a time. And when you finally are approved, they mail you the citizenship certificate, arguably the most important identity/status document anyone has, by regular mail. And woe to those who apply from outside Canada. So between Canada Post and USPS, your certificate goes to la la land. Why not send it via Purolator, UPS or FedEx so it can be tracked and add the cost to the application fee? Why not offer premium processing, say $500 for the application guaranteed adjudication in 30 days or less? Sigh.

And don't even think about calling to ask about status.
Proof of citizenship is a right, they can't justify charging more than admin costs. That it takes so long, reflects on political priorities.

Reactions: Mounat