File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Having been throughout the US the only system of transportation you'll find better than the C-Train, Skytrain, or Toronto Subway is the Sub system in NYC. That's it. Keep in mind it's mainly the same few people trashing Canada and saying the US is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course, besides their trolling, they have like a 1990s vision of the US, which is comical as hell. ;D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I find Toronto's subway system disappointing for a city of its size. Besides NYC, Chicago and DC is also better when you look at coverage and line. So is Montreal. Chicago also gets bonus points for having a regular subway train that goes right to the airport terminal. I also think Boston has a better system despite being a much smaller city. And compared to systems in Europe and Asia, Toronto is downright pathetic (but then again, North America has always been more about cars)

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
keesio said:
I find Toronto's subway system disappointing for a city of its size. Besides NYC, Chicago and DC is also better when you look at coverage and line. So is Montreal. Chicago also gets bonus points for having a regular subway train that goes right to the airport terminal. I also think Boston has a better system despite being a much smaller city. And compared to systems in Europe and Asia, Toronto is downright pathetic (but then again, North America has always been more about cars)

I personally like cars, freedom to go where you want at will. Thing with Canada is that the highways are poorly designed compared to US. Interstate is simply a thing of beauty. Toronto fails on highways and transit. In US you have cities that at least exceed in one area. Dallas has a sweet freeway system, high five stack interchange is simply gorgeous. In Canada all they do is discuss infrastructure and fund studies , nothing actually gets built.

noobmoon

Star Member
May 1, 2012
I don't have any first hand experience about life and transportation in Calgary, but from what I see on youtube nothing seems impresive :) at least compared to most european cities.
The transit infrastructure seems bad, roads awful, downtown ... nothing spectacular, at least if you compare it to Vienna, Venice, Milano, Munich, London.
But ... you don't come to Canada for the beauty :)
Hope I am wrong, and I will fall in love in the city.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
noobmoon said:
I don't have any first hand experience about life and transportation in Calgary, but from what I see on youtube nothing seems impresive :) at least compared to most european cities.
The transit infrastructure seems bad, roads awful, downtown ... nothing spectacular, at least if you compare it to Vienna, Venice, Milano, Munich, London.
Well, in Calgary you'll look forward to the summers.. this summer in particular was extremely sunny and perfectly mild, I never saw it any higher than 24-28C. After just coming from Ontario dealing with 30-40C plus a mild amount of humidity, it was quite a relief.

Winters can be nasty. Be ready to spend some time removing snow from your property, and if you live in a decent enough neighbourhood, people will help each other in a timely fashion.

Especially if you know what to expect and are both adaptable and realistic, Calgary will be a fantastic place. People are extremely polite here for the most part, and if you pick up on how people talk you'll get a chuckle out of how often they say "for sure".

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noobmoon said:
But Banff AB is beautiful. You should visit there at least once in your lifetime :D

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
steaky said:
But Banff AB is beautiful. You should visit there at least once in your lifetime :D
After I settle I plan to explore at least Alberta.
So going there and visiting Edmonton are top of my lists.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I would do a drive through the Jasper Nature reserve (all the way up to Jasper). It's a long ride, but well worth the trip.

If you can I would suggest you set up a train ride through the rockies as well (more into BC, but right there closeby, so worth it as well.

Cheers!!..

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
I'll keep this in mind.. once i settle and adjust to the new work environment hopefully I will have some time to travel around.

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Canada public transportation is very safe.
What's more, Calgary is planned on a grid system, meaning that it is fairly easy to find a bus or train that travels north/south or east/west to carry you close to your destination.

The trouble with all public transit in Canadian cities - the exceptions of Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, is that our cities are not populous enough to have transit going exactly where you want when you want it. I will still say that Calgary has superb transit considering how safe and accessible it is.

All the best!