+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement in Quebec without CSQ

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
I am going to immigrate to Canada, most probably in April 2015. I intend to settle in Canada, wherever I find a better career.
I have applied as a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) in NOC 2146 “Aerospace Engineer”.

My sister resides in Quebec with her family. Since I am in the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Stream, I understand that I cannot land in Quebec. Therefore I intend to land in Toronto, complete my landing formalities, in Toronto, and then move to Quebec for my initial settlement days (or may be a few months). This is because of my sister, who would help me with initial settlement know how and it would be easier for me as compared to my situation being alone in Canada, especially because I will be accompanied with my family comprising of my wife and a newborn baby. My intention is to remain with my sister and her family for initial days (months) and then I would be moving anywhere, maybe towards Ontario (because of good job prospects). For my plan I have certain queries:

1. I have a query about landing formalities. I have researched about it and I have found that, after completing my landing formalities anywhere except Quebec, I can go wherever I want. But how much time does landing formalities take. Do I have to spend days in Toronto before moving to Quebec, or is it a matter of couple of hours and I have to only submit forms, at the airport?

2. I want to apply for health insurance as soon as possible. I understand that the health insurance is provincial and therefore, I would have to apply where I want to settle. If I apply for health insurance in Ontario and spend my initial few months in Quebec, am I allowed to do that? Or will I have to live in Ontario after applying, to remain eligible and obtain health insurance in 3 months.

3. I want to apply for Professional Engineer’s Licence, before landing.
Can I apply for Ontario’s Engineering Licence, stay in Quebec for initial few months and then return to Ontario to find work, or when I find work? Is there any rule which, mandates me to reside in Ontario when ever I have applied for P-Eng licence?

My desire is to live in Quebec, only for some time initially, after which I intend to move towards some other province, for a better career.

I have written a lengthy email to explain my intent. I would be very grateful to you for any guidance which you can give to me, so that it becomes easier for me to make a decision regarding settlement.

Thanks a lot.
Sohaib

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi

Landing formalities: You will have to provide the customs officer with an address to which your PR cards will be sent - I am not sure if a Quebec address is acceptable to them. I advise you contact CIC for confirmation on use of a Quebec address or your lawyer (if you used a representative to file your FSW application). The formalities also include applying for health insurance and SIN. The SIN is issued at any Service Canada location during your visit - you simply need to find your nearest point of service before you head to Quebec. Remember to carry the necessary paper work to avoid delays in the process. You will not submit any forms at the airport, you only provide an address.

Health insurance: Yes you can do that. However, you still need to be sure your insurance cards can be sent to a Quebec address. I've seen on this forum people mention companies that offer mail forwarding services - they give you an address to use, they receive your mail and forward it to an address you specify to them. You should do some research on that.

License: I believe it shouldn't be a problem. Unlike the above, I believe they should have no problem sending you any correspondence to a Quebec address.

I'm not in the aerospace industry but I do know, 56% of the Canadian aerospace industry is in Quebec... Just noting.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
next2015 said:
Hi

Landing formalities: You will have to provide the customs officer with an address to which your PR cards will be sent - I am not sure if a Quebec address is acceptable to them. I advise you contact CIC for confirmation on use of a Quebec address or your lawyer (if you used a representative to file your FSW application). The formalities also include applying for health insurance and SIN. The SIN is issued at any Service Canada location during your visit - you simply need to find your nearest point of service before you head to Quebec. Remember to carry the necessary paper work to avoid delays in the process. You will not submit any forms at the airport, you only provide an address.

Health insurance: Yes you can do that. However, you still need to be sure your insurance cards can be sent to a Quebec address. I've seen on this forum people mention companies that offer mail forwarding services - they give you an address to use, they receive your mail and forward it to an address you specify to them. You should do some research on that.

License: I believe it shouldn't be a problem. Unlike the above, I believe they should have no problem sending you any correspondence to a Quebec address.

I'm not in the aerospace industry but I do know, 56% of the Canadian aerospace industry is in Quebec... Just noting.
Thanks next2015 for the detailed reply. I really appreciate that.
To tell you my plan:

I will go to Toronto (land).
I will live an address of Ottawa and live in Ontario for about two day (I believe that the landing formalities and SIN would be applied in these 2 days).
I will travel to quebec after 2 days.
Apply for health insurance in Quebec and start living atleast for initial time.

Is my plan ok?

Thanks a lot.
Sohaib

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
The plan seems ok. My only concern is applying for health insurance in Quebec -I am not sure if you mean appying for Ontario health insurance while in Quebec or applying for Quebec health insurance. If you mean applying for Quebec health insurance I'm not so sure about that if you have no CSQ. Then again, it may not matter since people do move to Quebec from other provinces and qualify for the program.

Quebec as a province has its own policies and processes on immigration compared to other provinces that's why landing as an FSW in Quebec comes with too many questions at the port of entry and in some cases has not ended well. I advise you do some more research on the health insurance part. You don't want any surprises especially if you have kids. The other alternative is to obtain a short term private plan while in Quebec or submit your application in Ontario since you will be going back there anyway-you can still use your coverage in any province other than the issuing province once it's issued. Either way you may need the private plan especially for the kids for the 3 months waiting period on the provincial plan.
I forgot to mention you should also consider registering with CRA if you want to receive child care benefits.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
next2015 said:
The plan seems ok. My only concern is applying for health insurance in Quebec -I am not sure if you mean appying for Ontario health insurance while in Quebec or applying for Quebec health insurance. If you mean applying for Quebec health insurance I'm not so sure about that if you have no CSQ. Then again, it may not matter since people do move to Quebec from other provinces and qualify for the program.

Quebec as a province has its own policies and processes on immigration compared to other provinces that's why landing as an FSW in Quebec comes with too many questions at the port of entry and in some cases has not ended well. I advise you do some more research on the health insurance part. You don't want any surprises especially if you have kids. The other alternative is to obtain a short term private plan while in Quebec or submit your application in Ontario since you will be going back there anyway-you can still use your coverage in any province other than the issuing province once it's issued. Either way you may need the private plan especially for the kids for the 3 months waiting period on the provincial plan.
I forgot to mention you should also consider registering with CRA if you want to receive child care benefits.
Thanks for the answer. Let me research more. I ll update. But, till now as per the requirements mentioned in Quebec Health Care official website, there is no requirement for CSQ mentioned. They only require us to stay for 6 months at least, to maintain the Health insurance. Otherwise inform them. And definitely you are right, in any case I ll have to apply for private health insurance, initially.

jazv4

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
El Salvador
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
CSQ 05-08-2012, Federal 04-03-2014
Doc's Request.
13-05-2014
Nomination.....
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ 21-Dec-2012; Federal 4-Apr-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
13-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
10-10-2014
Ray_Of_Hope said:
Thanks for the answer. Let me research more. I ll update. But, till now as per the requirements mentioned in Quebec Health Care official website, there is no requirement for CSQ mentioned. They only require us to stay for 6 months at least, to maintain the Health insurance. Otherwise inform them. And definitely you are right, in any case I ll have to apply for private health insurance, initially.
Hi, as you say, you don't really need CSQ for quebec health insurance. you just apply and after 90 days they will send you the card. However, the only problem is that when you are accepted into the health insurance program, they let you know that you have to stay in quebec for a period of time (i think the letter said it was 6 months), but if you move to another province in that period of time, you will have to reimburse all the health cost from your visit.

Regarding moving here, you can come without CSQ, (all PR are able to live wherever they want); however, beacuse you don't have a CSQ you won't be able to get some immigration benefits such as free french classes, some employment benefits for quebec immigrants (you still can use emploi quebec, though), universities subsidies, etc

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
jazv4 said:
Hi, as you say, you don't really need CSQ for quebec health insurance. you just apply and after 90 days they will send you the card. However, the only problem is that when you are accepted into the health insurance program, they let you know that you have to stay in quebec for a period of time (i think the letter said it was 6 months), but if you move to another province in that period of time, you will have to reimburse all the health cost from your visit.

Regarding moving here, you can come without CSQ, (all PR are able to live wherever they want); however, beacuse you don't have a CSQ you won't be able to get some immigration benefits such as free french classes, some employment benefits for quebec immigrants (you still can use emploi quebec, though), universities subsidies, etc
Thank you very much for your answer.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Dear all,

Thanks for your answers. As I said, that I would research more, I came to know that there may be a requirement for CSQ for Health Insurance Quebec. The "Required Document" para says:

"
The originals of all the following documents:

Permanent Resident Card, or any other document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities attesting to their permanent resident status in Canada, along with their visa

Québec selection certificate, in most cases
"
What does MOST CASES mean?

I have done some research on the subject and studied their regulations. As per my understanding, if I apply for Quebec Health insurance within 15 days of moving to Quebec, I would be eligible after staying for three months. Also, after that, I have to remain in Quebec for atleast 6 months to remain covered.

There is some confusion regarding this issue and I would hope to get answers from people who have been through all this.

Thank you.

SaadM

Jan 20, 2016
Greetings @ray_of_hope

Hope all went good for you.

do you happen to have Any update ? ::)

I'm in a similar case and was wondering what you ended up doing.

Best regards,

SaadM

pawanarora90

Aug 4, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-03-2016
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Med's Done....
14-02-2017
Any updates regarding the same? Can we apply for health insurance without CSQ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One important clarification for OHIP: You must also be physically present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days after the day you apply for OHIP.