+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement for health and other things

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
I am going to immigrate to Canada, most probably in April 2015. I intend to settle in Canada, wherever I find a better career.
I have applied as a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) in NOC 2146 “Aerospace Engineer”.

My sister resides in Quebec with her family. Since I am in the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Stream, I understand that I cannot land in Quebec. Therefore I intend to land in Toronto, complete my landing formalities, in Toronto, and then move to Quebec for my initial settlement days (or may be a few months). This is because of my sister, who would help me with initial settlement know how and it would be easier for me as compared to my situation being alone in Canada, especially because I will be accompanied with my family comprising of my wife and a newborn baby. My intention is to remain with my sister and her family for initial days (months) and then I would be moving anywhere, maybe towards Ontario (because of good job prospects). For my plan I have certain queries:

1. I have a query about landing formalities. I have researched about it and I have found that, after completing my landing formalities anywhere except Quebec, I can go wherever I want. But how much time does landing formalities take. Do I have to spend days in Toronto before moving to Quebec, or is it a matter of couple of hours and I have to only submit forms, at the airport?

2. I want to apply for health insurance as soon as possible. I understand that the health insurance is provincial and therefore, I would have to apply where I want to settle. If I apply for health insurance in Ontario and spend my initial few months in Quebec, am I allowed to do that? Or will I have to live in Ontario after applying, to remain eligible and obtain health insurance in 3 months.

3. I want to apply for Professional Engineer’s Licence, before landing.
Can I apply for Ontario’s Engineering Licence, stay in Quebec for initial few months and then return to Ontario to find work, or when I find work? Is there any rule which, mandates me to reside in Ontario when ever I have applied for P-Eng licence?

My desire is to live in Quebec, only for some time initially, after which I intend to move towards some other province, for a better career.

I have written a lengthy email to explain my intent. I would be very grateful to you for any guidance which you can give to me, so that it becomes easier for me to make a decision regarding settlement.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
As for the first and the last part of your inquiry you may want to check Settlement threads.

I really doubt that you can apply for OHIP and move to Quebec right away. There are certain limitations about that, which you may want to read before you do anything - OHIP Eligibility and Quebec Health Insurance

You will certainly have a waiting period of approximately 3 months. What you can do is to get a private health coverage, while you are waiting.

Last edited: