+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Serbian GF Visitor Visa Rejected Twice: Different Reasons Each Application

ronjames

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
Hello,

I met my GF on exchange in April 2016 in Russia. I have finished my master's degree and since am working as a Public Servant with the Canadian Government. She however, remains in school in Russia until 2018. For this reason, she is applying in Russia, and not Serbia.

I have visited her in both Serbia and Russia, and now she would like to visit me during her winter break. She just formally applied last week as she only received documentation from her Russian university indicating her status as a student and her expected completion date. She has over $6000 CAD in the bank.

Unfortunately, her first application was rejected on the grounds of
1) Travel History
2) Personal Assets and Financial Status (despite having $6000 CAD in the bank, and attaching salaries of her and her parents)

To address these concerns, we submitted a proper travel history form, and scanned additional travel documents for both me and her. I also submitted my own income and investment holdings.

She submitted a second application the day after receiving the rejection notice of her first application. In my sponsorship letter and her explanation letter (addressing the reasons for her first rejection), we made sure to address the above concerns listed by the officer.

Yet she was rejected again, this time for different reasons.
1) Immigration Status in Country of Residence
2) Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
3) Length of proposed stay in Canada
4) Purpose of Visit
5) Employment prospects in country of residence
6) Personal assets and financial status.

We are not understanding the inconsistency in their responses. I would understand if $$$ was still an issue (despite 4K for 3 weeks), but to arise questions of the length of her proposed stay, and other stuff despite it seemingly not being an issue in the first application.

To underscore the point of our confusion. She has documentation of:
1) Her status as a student, enrollment in her masters' program, and date of graduation in the future (June 2018).
2) Her bank balance (form she got from her bank) + her parents income
3) Travel history and passport stamps.
4) Invitation letter from me.
5) All other filled out forms as requested in application.
6) Sample flight itinerary, including cost ($800 CAD)

Could anyone shed some light on this issue? Is it because she is applying in Russia, and not Serbia? Why is there an inconsistency in their response, despite the applications being both received within a week of each other.

The only thing that I could see as an issue was that she would be visiting from January 18th to February 13th. This is very short notice I know, but she did not receive her student documentation from the university until late December, something which we discussed in our respective letters.

Thank you very much.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ronjames said:
I would understand if $$$ was still an issue (despite 4K for 3 weeks), but to arise questions of the length of her proposed stay, and other stuff despite it seemingly not being an issue in the first application.
Reasons are shown by phases. Depending on the phase the application was rejected you will get different reasons.

ronjames said:
Yet she was rejected again, this time for different reasons.
1) Immigration Status in Country of Residence
2) Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
3) Length of proposed stay in Canada
4) Purpose of Visit
5) Employment prospects in country of residence
6) Personal assets and financial status.
1) She is a temporary resident in Russia. This points she has no real ties to her country of residence, nor home-country, she can travel freely. Usually temporary residents have it hard to get TRVs.
2) You are inviting her, this raises concerns on the real reasons for her trip (she is your gf, so are you getting married? how can you prove this is not the case?). She has to prove she will go back to Russia after her stay.
3) Seems 3 weeks are not making sense, is this during spring/winter break? Did you submit evidence? Can she stay off school for 3 weeks?
4) Why is she travelling? This has to do with (2). Seems CIC is not convinced of "just visiting".
5) She comes from a country where people immigrate abroad to find work. How can she prove she is not coming here to work?
6) Seems she doesn't have enough money to afford the trip. Where did she get 4k? is there proof it is hers? Attaching parents and/or your bank statements won't do.

As you see the application submitted was weak. Due to her nationality and temporary status in Russia, it becomes harder... and with two rejections it is now very unlikely she will get a TRV.

Try to figure out how you can satisfy CIC that her intentions are legit and that she can afford the trip. If she can't then I would suggest postponing the trip until her circumstances greatly change.

Best of luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the above - I think a refusal was unfortunately the likely outcome given her age, single status, temporary residence in her current country and lack of ties to her home country. I would also recommend holding off applying again until something significant changes about her profile.

If you are insistent on applying again now, I would recommend she pay her school fees for the remainder of this year and show proof from her school these fees have been paid, also provide the rental agreement and utility bills for wherever she is living in Russia, and provide evidence of employment (if she's working part time while studying).

ronjames

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
Thank you very much for the replies. Sobering, but informative. I guess for the both of us her visit seemed quite innocuous, but now I see that it's full of potential red flags.

She's is applying for a student exchange here next month. Won't find out until June if she gets in.

We will be filing an ATIP to look into this further. I'm still perplexed by the two completely different rejections in each application.

Appreciate the messages though