+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2021 - Citizenship Applications

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
Hi

Thank you! Quick q: I will be taking the oath at my local library. There isn't a plain background behind the computer and there will be people passing behind me. Does this matter? I'll also be wearing a headset.. does the oath have to be chanted very loudly?
To be on safer side, try to attend the oath ceremony, in a room where only you are present and without unnecessary noise.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
As things are not in your control in the library it could be an issue.
So it's compulsory to be seated in a private space with a plain background? I live in a rural area with poor internet connection. I reached out to my MP to use their office space and they said no. Other places said no. I only found one small library Willing to help.

Last edited:

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
So it's compulsory to be seated in a private space with a plain background? I live in a rural area with poor internet connection. I reached out to my MP to use their office space and they said no. Other places said no. I only found one small library Willing to help.
You should be fine! Do the best you can to mute your self and only unmute when necessary and explain your situation when you check-in so they understand the situation you are in

Reactions: forw.jane

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
As your situation is tough I will agree to what @shiremag said and explain to officer during check-in.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
You should be fine! Do the best you can to mute your self and only unmute when necessary and explain your situation when you check-in so they understand the situation you are in
Thanks for the advice. I'm mostly concerned about my background. Although it's at the back of the library, right behind me would be an office with staff occasionally passing by.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
As your situation is tough I will agree to what @shiremag said and explain to officer during check-in.
This is exactly the situation when we need Self Administered oaths... where people in a G7 nation in rural communities still find themselves without good Internet or having to take time off and lose pay to come to a city just to attend an in-person oath :-/

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
This is exactly the situation when we need Self Administered oaths... where people in a G7 nation in rural communities still find themselves without good Internet or having to take time off and lose pay to come to a city just to attend an in-person oath :-/
+1 I fully support Self Administered oaths

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I would rather have driven the 500km to Scarborough for an in person oath, than deal with the stress of finding a suitable meeting space. But certainly, self administered is the way to go.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
I would rather have driven the 500km to Scarborough for an in person oath, than deal with the stress of finding a suitable meeting space. But certainly, self administered is the way to go.
Hopefully we'll see it published in Part 2 of the Gazette tomorrow... If not at least early in July. I am sorry this is too late to help you now. But do explain your situation at check-in and ask them to give you some consideration and support

Reactions: johnjkjk