+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

honey_singh87

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Canada has a backlog of nearly 1.8 million immigration applications
The backlog has grown by almost 350,000 more applications since July.

IRCC’s backlog stands at almost 1.8 million immigration applications.

CIC News has received data from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) showing the following number of applications in IRCC’s inventory as of October 27, 2021 (figures are rounded):

• 548,000 permanent residence applications (economic, family, refugee, and humanitarian class applicants)
  • 776,000 temporary residence applications (applications for study permits, work permits, temporary resident visas, and visitor extensions)
  • 468,000 Canadian citizenship applications (as of October 26)
  • 1,792,000 total applications in inventory

• Wow
Reactions: MaryC

Rehan123

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPR isn't a worthless document. You need your COPR later in life to collect things like old age benefits.

This was mentioned by the IRCC clerk at the ceremony.

That is the only proof you have of ever having landed as a legal Permanent Resident in Canada (because you'll destroy your PR card at the end of the ceremony).

AND... I was asked for my COPR at the oath ceremony by the clerk as one of the documents.
I was told the same thing to keep the COPR for the rest of the life in a safe place by the immigration officer when I landed in Canada. All of my known person told me the same thing….anyways I will keep it safe as long as I can…and I agree with you..

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

johnbro

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
My address needs to be changed as well. I have sent like 5 online requests over 4 months to change to new address but they still have not.

I guess you let them know during the ceremony that you have live at a new address so they mail the certificate at the correct address hopefully.
I see the checklist for Oath here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-ceremony.html#bring

"
When you come to the ceremony, bring:
  • your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship. "

From above I am assuming I can use my photo health card or my active PR card, right ? @SHIVAAY , @rajkamalmohanram

@Hot2Cold - you mention - "​
Yes. In the oath invitation instructions it does mention that at the beginning of the ceremony, you will ...
validate your home address with the IRCC official, when asked, so that we can send you your citizenship certificate to the correct address. "​

Did the IRCC official check any document for address proof / confirmation like driver's license or rental agreement OR was it you confirming the home address verbally to him / her? @Hot2Cold , @Jigzagula

Thanks

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I see the checklist for Oath here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-ceremony.html#bring

"
When you come to the ceremony, bring:
  • your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship. "

From above I am assuming I can use my photo health card or my active PR card, right ? @SHIVAAY , @rajkamalmohanram

@Hot2Cold - you mention - "​
Yes. In the oath invitation instructions it does mention that at the beginning of the ceremony, you will ...
validate your home address with the IRCC official, when asked, so that we can send you your citizenship certificate to the correct address. "​

Did the IRCC official check any document for address proof / confirmation like driver's license or rental agreement OR was it you confirming the home address verbally to him / her? @Hot2Cold , @Jigzagula

Thanks
The checklist in the oath invitation is slightly different, but has the same basic information:

For ALL STEPS
 A device with reliable access to the Internet and both audio and video capability.

FOR REGISTRATION – once you join the Zoom session
 Your seat number (at the top of this email);
 All of the original documents in your possession: your permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or your confirmation of permanent residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688), as well as your record of landing (IMM 1000), if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002 and have one;
 (If applicable) The permanent resident card for each of the minor children associated to your application, whether they participate in the ceremony or not);
 2 pieces of personal identification (ID):
  •  one must have your photograph and signature on it, e.g. driver’s license, health card
  •  one of them can be your Permanent resident card, if your second piece of identification is Canadian federal, provincial or territorial issued ID
  •  foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
  •  if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
  •  minors are not required to show identification with a signature;
Examples of pieces of identification can be found here: Show identity, Minors - Gather documents;
 (If applicable) Your Personal identification (ID), if you are the parent/guardian who submitted/signed the application on behalf of a minor child;
 A good pair of scissors as you will be asked to cut up your Permanent Resident card during the session with an employee.
If you do not have all items in the checklist above, you may not be able to complete the video oath ceremony.

DURING THE VIDEO OATH CEREMONY ITSELF
 [Optional] A holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship.

AT THE END OF THE CEREMONY
 [Optional] A cell phone or camera if you want to take a picture (i.e. ‘selfie’) with the Presiding official on screen – the IRCC official will let you know when the moment is right.
Did the IRCC official check any document for address proof / confirmation like driver's license or rental agreement OR was it you confirming the home address verbally to him / her?
I haven't actually done my ceremony yet, so I can only confirm after I actually attend it. I'll update once it is done.

Reactions: johnbro

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Ok, so finally after 5 months we have a status update on my wife's application - she has been asked to attend an interview on 30th November.

Can someone please tell me what exactly happens in the interview ? Thanks in advance

• Wow

ChapImmigrate

Jun 1, 2016
How does one determine which office is working on their application?

I haven't had any movement on my file since July and even though my test was marked completed on June 10th they still haven't made a decision -- nothing odd about my application -- so I'm wondering if maybe there's something going on at the office where my application is being processed (but don't know which one it is)

I sent a GMCS notes request almost 3 months ago but never heard back...is there any other way to find out?

candinavian

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Montreal
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
09-11-2020
Passport Req..
29-09-2021
LANDED..........
07-2013
They didn't ask me or my wife for fingerprints at all, and our BG checks were completed in September. Perhaps they do not ask every applicant for fingerprints as a standard procedure.
fingerprints are not standard.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=363&top=5
In most cases, the ceremony takes place 3 to 4 months after you pass the test.

May take longer if non-routine

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5
What is a non-routine application?
We consider your application non-routine if:
  • we need you to submit extra documents, like:
    • fingerprints

Reactions: Matt-NL

Rehan123

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just got a ghost update. It’s said updated on 19th November. Nothing changed in the tracker. What does it mean?

NKhan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2015
Ok, so finally after 5 months we have a status update on my wife's application - she has been asked to attend an interview on 30th November.

Can someone please tell me what exactly happens in the interview ? Thanks in advance
Wasn't her application at the DM status?

Jigzagula

Jan 16, 2021
@johnbro no they don't ask for proof of address. I told the agent that currently I don't have a fixed address and I only have a postal address to receive documents. She said ok I understand

And yes the agent asked for my health card to verify my identity. She did not ask for the driver licence

Reactions: johnbro

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Wasn't her application at the DM status?
My application has been in DM status since 29th June. But my wife's application was in "In progress" status since 14th June. Her last update was Citizenship Test 'completed'.

NKhan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2015
My application has been in DM status since 29th June. But my wife's application was in "In progress" status since 14th June. Her last update was Citizenship Test 'completed'.
I see, so I think it means your application is finally moving, after DM can they require interview?

Rehan123

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you know what’s the ID required for the minor in the oath ceremony? I lost my son’s health card which I used in the application and orders for a new one last week. As an ID I have only his passport. No I didn’t get any invitation. Just need to know so that I can be prepared.

johnbro

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
@johnbro no they don't ask for proof of address. I told the agent that currently I don't have a fixed address and I only have a postal address to receive documents. She said ok I understand

And yes the agent asked for my health card to verify my identity. She did not ask for the driver licence
Great, Thank you