Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon is it possible CBSA note extension request can be as a result of ongoing security checks?
Extensions are sought under section 9 of the Access to Information Act:

• 9 (1) The head of a government institution may extend the time limit set out in section 7 or subsection 8(1) in respect of a request under this Part for a reasonable period of time, having regard to the circumstances, if
    • (a) the request is for a large number of records or necessitates a search through a large number of records and meeting the original time limit would unreasonably interfere with the operations of the government institution,
    • (b) consultations are necessary to comply with the request that cannot reasonably be completed within the original time limit, or
    • (c) notice of the request is given pursuant to subsection 27(1)
  • by giving notice of the extension and, in the circumstances set out in paragraph (a) or (b), the length of the extension, to the person who made the request within thirty days after the request is received, which notice shall contain a statement that the person has a right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about the extension.

"meeting the original time limit would unreasonably interfere with the operations of the government institution"

So yes, in some cases an ongoing screening can be a reason. However, the reason is never disclosed, so you will just have to wait it out.

dkincanada

Jul 8, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am a CEC applicant.
After biometrics somehow my name is appearing twice in the application “ABCD, ABCD”

should i raise a webform to correct this or they will correct it themselves?

harsimrannsingh

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
It won't update in the profile until your application is approved.
Also, recommended pass does not mean it's passed.
I am gonna call IRCC tomorrow, can you please guide me as to what all i can ask?
Last time i called and the agent just told that the background check is progress.

My AOR 22 Sep
Medical and Biometric Passed.

jchen2020

Star Member
Feb 20, 2020
Anyone like me still in IP1 since the beginning of October?
Have submitted a webform request (overseas) but no response yet.

janaan

Star Member
Sep 29, 2020
I am gonna call IRCC tomorrow, can you please guide me as to what all i can ask?
Last time i called and the agent just told that the background check is progress.

My AOR 22 Sep
Medical and Biometric Passed.
Ask for an update on the individual stages of your application:
Eligibility, Criminality and Security and ask for your visa office.

vik.k

May 11, 2015
PNP EE Inland, Sydney Nova Scotia.
6 months since my AOR.
This appeared in the application status:
Your application is taking us longer than usual to process.
About 20% of our applications are more complex to process. They take us longer due to things like how easily we can verify information, how well and how quickly you answer our requests and whether the application is complete.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
@legalfalcon @caipsnotes is it possible CBSA note extension request can be as a result of ongoing security checks?
Hi. Not at all, the processing of the GCMS / CBSA / CSIS notes and the corresponding time extension if one is taken is not reflective of how the visa application is being processed.

Below are all false statements made here on the forum and elsewhere, pay no heed to these and more

For CBSA, if your security screening is in progress, or has been initiated, unless the GCMS notes can be captured and do not delay the working of the agency, they will seek an extension, and as as soon as it your notes can be released they will, but surely before the extension time frame expires.

Requesting your GCMS Notes may be beneficial and could help move your file forward. This is the case as an immigration officer has to review your file before releasing your GCMS Notes. Thus, the IRCC officer may use this opportunity to update documents received from other agencies.

SameerNazeer

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon..
My medical status was showing completed(oct 20th) before and now it had changed to that 'you don't need medicals exam right now we'll let u know when it changes'. The medical expiry was until march 3rd 2021. So i was wondering what is it about and why i didn't get a request for remedicals?

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
@legalfalcon @caipsnotes

My AOR is Sep 12 2020, my medical passed on Oct 27 2020 and BIL on same day that I gave in Riyadh VAC on Nov 30 2020 along with my wife. Nothing has moved on my application since then and I see the same message that "20% of applications are.......etc etc";

I am an outland PNP applicant and planning to order GCMS notes through 3rd party providers but have some apprehension on data privacy and retention. How reliable and dependent are the 3rd party notes providers and how to judge their credibility as the notes are coming from IRCC but passing their channel to the end applicant. Kindly advise in your expert opinion on how a GCMS applicant is sure of the quality and authenticity of the received notes. Will the 3rd party provider keep copy or can access the details of the notes, which are on file received from IRCC. The information is sensitive and leaks can put the applicant in an unnecessarily uncomfortable spot.

Appreciate your time and clarification!!!
Now, that's an excellent question. You and anyone else considering requesting GCMS notes should be concerned about the questions you raise, this is a very valid concern to have. There are some poorly designed/configured 3rd party GCMS websites out there that have been known to leak client information in various ways. Applicants often focus on the cost of the GCMS service in making a decision but they often end up "paying" for it in other ways.

Let's start with IRCC which with its vast resources still manages to have material privacy breaches, nine of them in the latest reporting period which only continues to grow (below is from IRCC ATIP report)

A privacy breach refers to the improper or unauthorized creation, collection, use, disclosure, retention or disposition of personal information. A material privacy breach is a privacy breach that involves sensitive personal information and could reasonably be expected to cause injury or harm to the individual.

The ATIP Division provided advice and guidance to departmental staff on containment and mitigation strategies to improve the protection of personal
information. In addition, senior officials were notified of all material breaches to facilitate communication within the Department and raise awareness of issues that could hinder the public’s right to privacy. The ATIP Division monitors all privacy breaches reported at IRCC. The Division also reviews how and
where they are occurring within the Department. ATIP addresses trends and provides tailored privacy breach training sessions to raise awareness and
increase privacy breach prevention.

In 2019-2020, IRCC notified the OPC and TBS of nine material privacy breaches. IRCC monitors all privacy breaches closely and has established notifications and remedial measures to address each situation. The majority of material breaches were of small scale and affected a limited number of
individuals.

Five material breaches involved client files that were lost, or went missing during shipment from a Case Processing Centre to one of the regional offices or to the intended recipient. The affected individuals were notified.
Three material breaches involved inadvertent disclosures of information to the wrong individual. The affected individuals were notified.
One material privacy breach involved a planned disclosure of information, which inadvertently included personal information of other individuals. Affected individuals have been notified.

3rd party GCMS providers can't match the resources of IRCC in terms of security and technology (yet IRCC has privacy breaches) and that is why your concerns are very valid. You would want to start with the some of the obvious places to check the 3rd party, amongst them;
Other things to consider:

HTTPS - it's the minimum expected to have a presence on the web. 3rd party GCMS providers need to take this further with what is called HSTS, it does not cost anything to make use of this enhanced security feature. You can do a simple check if the third party website uses HSTS or not, check here https://hstspreload.org/ This list is managed by Google and used by all major web browsers. For those interested, a full list of domains added to the HSTS preload list is available, you can search and find your 3rd party GCMS provider on this list, try https://gcmsnotes.com

cloudflare.com is another great service that enhances security and all 3rd party GCMS providers should use this or something similar.

Information provided by the likes of IRCC and CBSA is NOT password protected. That is why it's the responsibility of the 3rd party GCMS provider to not only provide the information in a secure manner but ensure that the PDF file is password protected. Many simply forward the email they receive from IRCC and that just doesn't cut it. CBSA is attempting to change how it does things, see this note from CBSA;

"As requested, attached to this email is a copy of your release package. To open the file, please use the agreed upon password provided during your telephone conversation"

Immigration lawyers, registered consultants and the likes — back in the day some of these folks did not like to publicize the availability of Gcms notes; because it “ ✔ Lets you know if your representative is doing his/her job ”. Times have changed and these days some of these folks are heavily promoting this service. You ask why? For some folks it’s an opportunity to up-sell and cross-sell other services they offer like legal opinion, interpretation service, health insurance and a myriad of other services. Such services are often unnecessary to the larger audience and definitely expensive.

Here is another example of what can happen when you order your Gcms file from folks “affiliated” with a licensed immigration lawyer or “affiliated” with a registered immigration consultant. Look closely to what the image below has to say. Such “affiliations” are sometimes not in your best interest. Working with an independently operated firm has better outcomes.

Data collection — is a huge endeavour among some of these firms as well. We are not talking about anonymised data; it’s very much personal and identifiable data points that are being collected. Such data is collected from forms you complete to order your Gcms file or at times from the Gcms file itself. Ever wonder why some firms are asking for your mailing address or phone number? Gcms notes are NOT going to be mailed to you and neither is anyone going to call you to deliver the information over the phone. It’s not needed for processing your payment either. With advances in payment technology such information is increasingly becoming optional as it creates friction in the checkout process. Furthermore, why are some firms asking for a copy of your passport and visa refusal letter? It’s not required to obtain your Gcms file. Sometimes, IRCC may request such documents for validation purposes but it’s not common and absolutely not required during the initial phase when you order your file. Why provide confidential information upfront when it’s not required? It does NOT speed up your Gcms order; that is a myth because IRCC has laws about processing standards. Another interesting trend that is becoming prevalent is collecting your information and reselling it in the name of providing visa progress tracking services which are of little to no value.

It is your decision to make where you request your Gcms Notes from. Make an informed decision because it matters where you request your file from. There is a lot at stake. Misuse can lead to fraud; see how.

More in another post...

Last edited:
Reactions: Abrar110

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

Abrar110

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Now, that's an excellent question. You and anyone else considering requesting GCMS notes should be concerned about the questions you raise, this is a very valid concern to have. There are some poorly designed/configured 3rd party GCMS websites out there that have been known to leak client information in various ways. Applicants often focus on the cost of the GCMS service in making a decision but they often end up "paying" for it in other ways.

More in another post...
Thank you very much for the detailed insightful response, it makes great reading with full understanding. Data privacy and protection should be paramount to all applications just as the same way they want to get their PPR/COPR.

I've seen posts, threads in forums and platforms where some naive applicant has inadvertently leaked all his information by virtue of innocence or anxiety to get updates; imagining my data with my family details out in public gives me horrors. I really also want to use this message as an eye-opener and challenge the way applicants put the benefit first of ordering GCMS notes over their own data. Applicants especially outlanders like myself should deliberate and critically judge on the grounds for GCMS (even though I applied from GCMS notes a day back but have not sent the consent form, I don't mind losing the money but am seriously concerned about the way my information is handled and processed).

When Canada has stringent laws enforced in place for data privacy and protection (ATIP) then why does the applicant (outlander) cannot apply for the notes himself? Why is there a necessity for the involvement of a third party? GCMS notes contain very sensitive information on the applicant, his/her dependents, and this is shared upfront to a 3rd party, ( of course with the applicant's consent) but what is the guarantee or assurance on the data integrity and quality, how can the applicant be sure of the notes received are genuine........very tricky.

I actually, just before your reply was received have ordered GCMS notes from https://www.thegcmsonline.com/ and paid $ 10 for the basic GCMS. This instead of going through 3rd party and signing/scanning a consent form with my 18+ dependent applicant; I could have processed it myself with a sense of relief and satisfaction that my communication is direct with the IRCC rather than a medium in between. Is there any way I can at least bring it to the notice of IRCC this hokey pokey way? Maybe it may not immediately put this on their priority or attention but at least we have someone raising a voice.

As you have given when IRCC responds to a notes request, it sends an email without any encryption or secure way, thus making it vulnerable to manipulation or alteration by a malicious or greedy 3rd party GCMS notes provider. I mean there is no transparency on how dependable the notes are until your application itself is cleared officially in the MYCIC account. Really puts me at a loss of understanding on why an outlander has to experience so many risks for his application progress and update.

My call to all aspirants and PPR hopefuls, please consider the safety of your information over your application. Having said that, I will welcome inputs from fellow outlanders on their experiences on NOTES ordered via 3rd party and their feelings on DPP.

Again @caipsnotes thanks so much for taking time and patience in responding to my post in details. Will keep on following this convo...................

Reactions: brentmrcs

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon..
My medical status was showing completed(oct 20th) before and now it had changed to that 'you don't need medicals exam right now we'll let u know when it changes'. The medical expiry was until march 3rd 2021. So i was wondering what is it about and why i didn't get a request for remedicals?
For Permanent Resident applicants, if your medicals are expiring or are about to expire, IRCC will send them for reassessment to the Health Branch (HB), where the Regional Medical officer (RMO) will make a determination on whether to extend them or ask for a re-med.

Currently the extensions are provided in accordance with the policy to relieve pressure associated with COVID-19. An extension is granted for 6 months for applicants from designated countries and 1 year from non-designated countries. Also, whether you are exempt from travel or not, and will be able to land soon, is also a factor.

The designated country list is the same that was used for medicals for TRV applicants. See https://www.canada.ca/.../requi.../country-requirements.html

Further for an extension, the immigration medical exam should have been assessed as M1 or M3.

M1: No public health risk or danger, no public safety danger and no excessive demand

M3: A health condition(s) is present but is not expected to place an excessive demand on health or social services.
Also, a note will be placed in your GCMS based on the reassessment.

An applicant whose medicals are expiring or have expired, but have not yet received a reassessment determination from IRCC, can also get an immigration medical examination (IME) from a panel physician and send the upfront sheet to IRCC via webform. In such cases, the medicals will be valid for 1 year.

Reactions: vigneshrangaraj