+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hi there.
The CIC received my citizen application on June 7, 2019.
Acknowledgement is sent on August 19, 2019.
Started processing application on September 30, 2019.

Still nothing. it's been more than 15 months since I applied.

Is anyone else waiting this long?

thank you
Quite a bunch wait...

Reactions: Pitlord

Pitlord

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
My timeline is:

Application Received: September 10, 2019

Application Processing: January 14, 2020

Citizenship Test: March 12, 2020

Citiizenship Ceremony: October 1, 2020

Ceremony was a zoom meeting with 40 people reciting the oath. I'm glad they implemented a virtual process to allow for this process to be completed.

Thank you and hope this helps!
Congrats.
Did anyone mention to you if they are skipping the order of invitees?
I mean there are people who applied before you and are still waiting. This obviously means that they are not following first come first serve principle.

Thanks

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Congrats.
Did anyone mention to you if they are skipping the order of invitees?
I mean there are people who applied before you and are still waiting. This obviously means that they are not following first come first serve principle.

Thanks
There is always some subjectivity in the process. It depends on who (the person) started processing your file, if he/she went on leave during the process and how fast is he/she in general. Think of standing in grocery store line. Not all the lines move forward at the same pace. A few lucky ones got their tests done before COVID hit and can now get their oaths done. But a lot like as are stuck waiting for the test :(

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
There is always some subjectivity in the process. It depends on who (the person) started processing your file, if he/she went on leave during the process and how fast is he/she in general. Think of standing in grocery store line. Not all the lines move forward at the same pace. A few lucky ones got their tests done before COVID hit and can now get their oaths done. But a lot like as are stuck waiting for the test :(
Yes, there are also many factors that affect the processing time.
1) Your local office. For example if you are in Toronto you can expect longer wait times than when you are from Ottawa or Calgary.
2) Your nationality: certain nationality are considered as high risk and requires additional security checks.
3) Where you lived; that is also the security clearance.
4) Your Officer; as you said some do their work faster while others take their sweet time.

There are a lot of things the local office uses to look for red flags that can turn your application into non-routine, such as weak proof of residence and with non-routine there is no time limit it can take years or your file may fall through the cracks.

Reactions: Pitlord

Smw851383

Jan 26, 2020
Hello All
Any body can confirm if citizenship certificate was recieved? My Oath was done on Oct 8th but not yet recieved certificate. I called today and they still not yet mailed.
How long it takes ?

Nino123

Dec 3, 2019
Citizenship ceremony done via zoom on October 14th. I traveled from UK to attend. I was asked to confirm my location. I was asked if I was due to travel in 2 weeks and I answered yes. They agreed to process my certificate immediately. I emailed on Monday 19th, they confirmed they have processed my certificate and posted it to me.
My kids did not have to attend as they were under 14.
This is just an update for anyone interested.
If you are waiting for your certificate, email the same address you got the oath invite from. Edmonton replied in less than an hour and a few friends have also confirmed.
Thank you to everyone on this forum. I am officially a canadian.
Best of luck to everyone

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
Citizenship ceremony done via zoom on October 14th. I traveled from UK to attend. I was asked to confirm my location. I was asked if I was due to travel in 2 weeks and I answered yes. They agreed to process my certificate immediately. I emailed on Monday 19th, they confirmed they have processed my certificate and posted it to me.
If you are waiting for your certificate, email the same address you got the oath invite from. Edmonton replied in less than an hour and a few friends have also confirmed.
Best of luck to everyone
Wow amazing . Congratulations . You are now proud Canadian

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Best of luck to everyone
Congrats a ton!!! Hope you get the certificate and new passport soon. Cheers!

bwrani

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,

Today I got a call from CIC agent for virtual Oath Ceremony . November 2nd 2020 I am having Oath ceremony.
Below is my timeline.

Citizenship Application sent - 06 Sept 2019
Application Type: Single
Physical Presence Days: 1095
AOR - 12 Dec 2019
IP - 10 Jan 2020
Test Invite - 19 Feb 2020
Test Date - 06 Mar 2020
Decision Made - 06 Mar 2020
Oath invite next day to attend the ceremony :07 Mar 2020 but I missed the ceremony for personal reasons.
Notice to Appear Video Oath Virtual Ceremony email received: 29 Oct 2020
Virtual Oath Ceremony:2nd Nov 2020

Reactions: EUK

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Hello, just noticed my latest update has been captured wrongly in the data sheet.

line 35 should read: AOR 27th NOV; In Process 18th DEC.

tks.
Dear Members,

we received the GCMS file which is about 28 pages. Can any experienced members advise which sections are of interest and what to look out for?

Thank you.

PawManya

Aug 27, 2015
Hello all, I need advise regarding my PR card. It is valid until Feb 2021. While I wait for my citizenship application to move (applied in Sept 2019), do I have to renew my PR card? My citizenship application status is in process. Jan 25 they sent me a request for FP which was completed and on phone they acknowledged that they have received the results.

andy10

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Hello all, I need advise regarding my PR card. It is valid until Feb 2021. While I wait for my citizenship application to move (applied in Sept 2019), do I have to renew my PR card? My citizenship application status is in process. Jan 25 they sent me a request for FP which was completed and on phone they acknowledged that they have received the results.
It's not mandatory to renew it unless you're planning to travel soon...You don't lose your PR status if you don't renew it...
I would still recommend renewing it for emergencies...the processing time is 120 days now...it costs 50$ to renew it (plus shipping + photos)...
If you are planning to travel soon, you have the option to apply for urgent processing, but you need to provide evidence on why you need urgent processing (letter, tickets, proof of payment for tickets ,etc....).

Long story short, you don't loose your PR status if you don't renew it, but if you need it to travel soon or if you need it for an emergency travel, i would suggest renewing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PawManya

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
My wife is in the same boat. We are thinking of applying for the card. Citizenship can get delayed who knows for how long!