+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**SEPTEMBER 2018** INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

taj1234

Star Member
Dec 1, 2018
A "Ghost Update" is when your ECAS says there is an update but when you check the status there is no obvious changes, it usually means something is happening with your application and you can expect some sort of correspondence in the near future.

DM - Decision Made
PA- Principle applicant (the person being sponsored)
SA - spousal approval for the sponsor
AIP- approved in principle - first stage approval of the PA pending the completion of background check and any other secondary checks

Ghost update notification for update comes in GC key or ECAS?

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
Guys,
i got email just 1 min ago. it says i have met eligibility as the applicant but in order to continue, they are requesting for a FBI certificate. i was only in the US for 2 months. i thought they will need this if i was there for over 6 months.
Anyway i am confused because i do not know how to go about this. like do i go to the police station to get this done.
i am in Edmonton. Any please help with suggestions.
thanks.
Edit : Copy of my letter
This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. In order to continue processing your application, further information is required. You must complete/submit the following to this office: Name and App Number > Passport/Travel Document: Please provide copy of a valid passport. > Police Certificate - USA: Please provide a copy of an FBI certificate. Please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp or contact the Call Centre, toll free, at 1-888-242-2100 for further information on how to obtain a police certificate. If the police certificate indicates any charges and/or convictions, you must also provide court documents detailing the disposition of each charge and the sentence of each conviction. This must be received at this office by: 2019/05/03.

i went to that website but was not too clear.

shahesam84

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Guys,
i got email just 1 min ago. it says i have met eligibility as the applicant but in order to continue, they are requesting for a FBI certificate. i was only in the US for 2 months. i thought they will need this if i was there for over 6 months.
Anyway i am confused because i do not know how to go about this. like do i go to the police station to get this done.
thanks.
This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. In order to continue processing your application, further information is required. You must complete/submit the following to this office: Name and App Number > Passport/Travel Document: Please provide copy of a valid passport. > Police Certificate - USA: Please provide a copy of an FBI certificate. Please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp or contact the Call Centre, toll free, at 1-888-242-2100 for further information on how to obtain a police certificate. If the police certificate indicates any charges and/or convictions, you must also provide court documents detailing the disposition of each charge and the sentence of each conviction. This must be received at this office by: 2019/05/03.

I would say ask the US embassy!

macarson

Feb 7, 2019
Guys,
thanks.

I'm from the US so submitted this with my initial application. You first have to go the the FBI website and submit an Identity Summary History request and pay a fee. They then send you a confirmation email. Then go to the Police Information Check Station on 118 Ave and 142St. They will take your finger prints (they have cards there) and you pay another fee for the fingerprinting and then mail this and the confirmation email to the FBI (I think you need your passport for the fingerprinting but I can't remember). Mine took something like 3 weeks after I mailed it in to get an electronic copy of the report, but the website says mailed copies can take up to 60 days. I think this can all be done faster, 5 business days, if you can find somewhere that can submit electronic fingerprints to the FBI but I think when I looked into it it either cost a lot more or wasn't available in Edmonton (pretty sure it was cost) and I don't think the Police Information Check Station does electronic ones but it's worth asking about.

This link describes things a bit better:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html

Not sure why they would ask for this if you were only there for a short time, however if someone in the US has the same name as you and has a record I'm sure that could show up on a Canadian Background Check as I think they have limited access to the US system which was maybe searched. So maybe fingerprints are the only way to confirm it isn't you? I know they will often search US citizens background when crossing the boarder even for vacation and will deny them entry if they have an arrest history so it's not far fetched that they would do a search for people who spent time there.

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
I'm from the US so submitted this with my initial application. You first have to go the the FBI website and submit an Identity Summary History request and pay a fee. They then send you a confirmation email. Then go to the Police Information Check Station on 118 Ave and 142St. They will take your finger prints (they have cards there) and you pay another fee for the fingerprinting and then mail this and the confirmation email to the FBI (I think you need your passport for the fingerprinting but I can't remember). Mine took something like 3 weeks after I mailed it in to get an electronic copy of the report, but the website says mailed copies can take up to 60 days. I think this can all be done faster, 5 business days, if you can find somewhere that can submit electronic fingerprints to the FBI but I think when I looked into it it either cost a lot more or wasn't available in Edmonton (pretty sure it was cost) and I don't think the Police Information Check Station does electronic ones but it's worth asking about.

This link describes things a bit better:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html

Not sure why they would ask for this if you were only there for a short time, however if someone in the US has the same name as you and has a record I'm sure that could show up on a Canadian Background Check as I think they have limited access to the US system which was maybe searched. So maybe fingerprints are the only way to confirm it isn't you? I know they will often search US citizens background when crossing the boarder even for vacation and will deny them entry if they have an arrest history so it's not far fetched that they would do a search for people who spent time there.
Can I PM you?.

Pnut&lulu

Nov 30, 2018
Got an email asking me for more proof that me and my sponsor live in the same address, has this happened to anyone?

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Forgive me for removing the very first two inactive members @Djdj9037 and @eck6 from our timeline spreadsheet since they kept it in silence since December 2018. It was done so for a better understanding of our application process and for those who will be going through the same inland spousal sponsorship application process in the future.

I hope you guys understand it as I am sure you received multiple notifications from me and other members. Sowwy :( but please let us know if you are still active but following the thread silently without logging in to your account ;)

@RKAZI and @Nixey, how are you guys doing? Hope everything is going well... :)

Reactions: BR_ESL

Shikster

Mar 28, 2019
Can I PM you?.
I just wanted to add to what @macarson has said. My husband is from US and had submitted his FBI check with his initial application. There are two different forms. He filled out one which was apparently for those with a criminal history, and when they processed his fingerprints, they notified him that he filled out the wrong form since he didn't have a criminal history, that he needed to fill the form for those without a criminal history. It just delayed getting the paperwork from them to send to CIC. I personally think it is odd that they would have two different forms to fill (one for those with a criminal history and one without) since the purpose of this background check is to reveal any criminal history, but that is just how they do things.

So if you do come across two form options, just read it carefully and fill out the one that best applies to you to avoid further delays.

Reactions: barsarah

macarson

Feb 7, 2019
Got an email asking me for more proof that me and my sponsor live in the same address, has this happened to anyone?
There was a thread on this maybe a week or two ago. Basically you need to provide as many things as possible that show you have the same address. Lease, drivers licences, car insurance, bills, bank statements, etc.

Shikster

Mar 28, 2019
Forgive me for removing the very first two inactive members @Djdj9037 and @eck6 from our timeline spreadsheet since they kept it in silence since December 2018. It was done so for a better understanding of our application process and for those who will be going through the same inland spousal sponsorship application process in the future.

I hope you guys understand it as I am sure you received multiple notifications from me and other members. Sowwy :( but please let us know if you are still active but following the thread silently without logging in to your account ;)

@RKAZI and @Nixey, how are you guys doing? Hope everything is going well... :)

It looks like you've been keeping up with what has been happening in this thread with everyone from the beginning. I recently joined this thread when I ran into some issues with our application. Was wondering if you know of anyone who's had a similar experience as mine and could lend some advice on what we should expect moving forward:

A request for my husband (sponsor)'s fingerprint was made in Jan and we completed it soon thereafter. In March we received a call from CIC asking the status of our fingerprints. We emailed them what we had from the police station showing we started the process and paid them. We also contacted RCMP and they said they received it on the 22nd and sent out the report the 23rd of Jan. Their suggestion was it was either lost in mail, in transit, or lost in CIC office, but they couldn't reproduce the document without us doing another one. RCMP emailed us some letter stating the same so we could forward it to CIC, and since then have heard nothing from them. Instead, we got a DM on PA (me) and then a letter stating my husband was eligible for PR (generic letter) pending background and medical exam pass. No clue whether the background report has been found or whether we have to do another.

Any idea if someone's had similar experience? Or whether we should assume it's been found?