+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2017 Citizenship Applications

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
There is always an access to leave Canada in case of emergency and come back through USA borders without having a valid PR Card
I have did this myself ;);)
Same here. The officers will comment on it and I've been given grief about it, but always let in. Land border crossings only, though. Never tried coming into the airport without the card, nor would I want to try.

miranda1986

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
DM was made at the same day as the test...
Only invitation left and I would like to have it done by the end of the May, because our PR cards expire then and want to make sure we can travel in case of an emergency...
you can also always get a new pr card. it only costs 50 bucks. of course it seems like a bit of a waste since your ceremony should be soon,but if you are worried about emergency cases, it is not that big of fee to pay.

I want to travel at the end of the august, and i hope to get our oath invitation soon. not because of pr card, but because i want to go through couple of europe countries, and dont want to apply for schengen. my husband has many pages for schengen visa, and it is costly. it is so much easier to travel with canadian passport. i just want my husband to feel the same.

DEEP SLEEP

Apr 8, 2017
Oakville
Same here. The officers will comment on it and I've been given grief about it, but always let in. Land border crossings only, though. Never tried coming into the airport without the card, nor would I want to try.
You are not allowed to use airlines without PR card even from the USA. As you have mentioned, it is only through land borders from the US
But what do you mean by "given grief about it"

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
I know we can apply, but it's $100 for both of us, plus the photos, plus mailing and the processing shows 80-90 days. I was told that if the application was in process and we would get the oath invitation, they wouldn't refund the fees either. Only if they didn't start processing and we would inform them we got the citizenship.

Traveling in Europe is so much easier with EU passport :) That will be probably the only reason to renew mine when it expires..
And crossing the US border will be a breeze with the Canadian passport :D

you can also always get a new pr card. it only costs 50 bucks. of course it seems like a bit of a waste since your ceremony should be soon,but if you are worried about emergency cases, it is not that big of fee to pay.

I want to travel at the end of the august, and i hope to get our oath invitation soon. not because of pr card, but because i want to go through couple of europe countries, and dont want to apply for schengen. my husband has many pages for schengen visa, and it is costly. it is so much easier to travel with canadian passport. i just want my husband to feel the same.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You are not allowed to use airlines without PR card even from the USA. As you have mentioned, it is only through land borders from the US
But what do you mean by "given grief about it"
People have been let on planes with their US passports just fine, but at some point you have to go through Customs and show the card. (Obviously it's easier with NEXUS, though.)

I've had it happen twice at the land border. Once I got a mini-lecture by the primary officer that screened me, once I was pulled into secondary for a mini-lecture. The secondary one was middle of the night at the Detroit border.

miranda1986

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
I know we can apply, but it's $100 for both of us, plus the photos, plus mailing and the processing shows 80-90 days. I was told that if the application was in process and we would get the oath invitation, they wouldn't refund the fees either. Only if they didn't start processing and we would inform them we got the citizenship.

Traveling in Europe is so much easier with EU passport :) That will be probably the only reason to renew mine when it expires..
And crossing the US border will be a breeze with the Canadian passport :D
Yes i agree it's a hassle. I wouldn't do it either. But if you have an emergency case, like if your relative is getting married and you want to go to the wedding and etc, it is not that big of trouble to renew your card.
I always traveled with my canadian passport and had no issues in europe. The only place that was a bit more serious to interview me was UK. And I think it is because i stayed at friends house there and did not book a hotel as i usually do in europe.
My poor husband is though has been pulled everywhere! Extra questioning, extra documentation, sometimes finger prints in the country we enter. Since we had a baby, it has decreased but still, we get hold up in lines.

If he gets his passport within couple if months, we will go to london, amsterdam and berlin this year. I cant wait to see how different it will be to travel with 3 Canadian passports.
My husband always jokes that he lived in canada +10 years and our son hasn't even had 2 years, but already he is a canadian and has more rights :)

aaamr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
Took the test yesterday (April 18)... finished in about 6 minutes with 20/20. Routine interview. Showed the officer my tracking spreadsheet for travel which I have been maintaining since 2012 (about 2.5 pages of data). He asked for a copy, which I readily provided. Hopefully will make it easier for him than the awful physical presence calculator format.

He did not look at the stamps in my passports at all.

He mentioned my background checks looked fine.

Now just waiting for DM and then hopefully oath by the summer.

Scarborough office, for those interested.

A.

ThierrYUL

Sep 12, 2017
Hello to all,

Oath letter received today.

Citizenship Office - Montreal
App Type - Family (2)
# Days in Canada - 1464
App Mailed - 11 September 2017
App Delivered - 12 September 2017
AOR - 13 October 2017
In process - 23 November 2017
Invitation to test - 24 January 2018
Test - 7 February 2018
Decision Made - 10 February 2018
Oath letter - 19 April 2018
Oath - 2 May 2018

All the best!

Reactions: MarceauBletard

salutcemoi

Feb 27, 2018
I submitted application on 9/21,passed test on 2/12/2018, my online status still is in process,is it normal,how long it takes to DM
Hi,

I submitted my application on 9/21 as well, got my test on 01/19/2018, got DM on 04/04/2018, just got my oathletter (for April 25)

Don't take those timelines at face value, every case is different

lala-147

Feb 6, 2018
I applied in Sep 2017 from Fort Mcmurray AB, My application has been sitting In process from Nov 2. I'm really starting to get stressed and worried.