+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SEPT 2020 **FOR NEWBIES** Sponsoring Your Spouse, Partner or Dependent Child

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
I finally got the last thing I was waiting for and sent in my application today.

It's supposed to be delivered on Sep 17th.

I'm a US citizen, spouse is a dual Canadian/US citizen. We sent in the application for our child's Canadian citizenship certificate last week.

We should be a pretty easy case, we've been married 15 years. At least we shouldn't have to overcome any marriage fraud type issues. The only thing with our application that I wasn't happy with was my husband's proof he would return to Canada. With the wait times being so long, any job he found wouldn't hold the position for a year. Can't really find an apartment or anything yet when it will likely be more than 12 months for our application to be processed.

I tried to get him to ask his parents for a letter stating that they were happy we were coming back and could stay with them while looking for our own place- but, my husband felt that was overkill and his parent's thought I was being silly. So, oh well, instead there's a couple printouts of job searches and a letter about our plans. Doesn't really feel like 'proof' to me.

In the event that isn't satisfactory, I imagine we'll get a request for more information later on down the road?

When does that type of thing usually arrive? I'd imagine pretty far into the processing right?
Worst case scenario, he'll just have to move back and start working and then we'll follow when my processing is done.

bcakes

Star Member
Aug 21, 2020
Question re: Application form IMM 0008 - Education/Occupational Detail

*Number of years of education in total (the total number of years of formal education that they completed, including elementary and secondary school).
Just to confirm - starting from Gr. 1, yeah?

It says in total, so I included the primary, along with elementary, secondary/high school, and college/university. Because in Schedule A, it asked for elementary/primary upto college/university.

Also, *intended occupation - can we fill out section with TBD?
- I suggest you avoid using acronym. You can put any intended occupation, it doesn't mean you have to stick with it when you come to Canada.

BTW, I'm in better spirits now

-That's the spirit! Never lose hope! Just have to keep moving forward.

Reactions: Akissi18

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
I finally got the last thing I was waiting for and sent in my application today.

It's supposed to be delivered on Sep 17th.

I'm a US citizen, spouse is a dual Canadian/US citizen. We sent in the application for our child's Canadian citizenship certificate last week.

We should be a pretty easy case, we've been married 15 years. At least we shouldn't have to overcome any marriage fraud type issues. The only thing with our application that I wasn't happy with was my husband's proof he would return to Canada. With the wait times being so long, any job he found wouldn't hold the position for a year. Can't really find an apartment or anything yet when it will likely be more than 12 months for our application to be processed.

I tried to get him to ask his parents for a letter stating that they were happy we were coming back and could stay with them while looking for our own place- but, my husband felt that was overkill and his parent's thought I was being silly. So, oh well, instead there's a couple printouts of job searches and a letter about our plans. Doesn't really feel like 'proof' to me.

In the event that isn't satisfactory, I imagine we'll get a request for more information later on down the road?

When does that type of thing usually arrive? I'd imagine pretty far into the processing right?
Worst case scenario, he'll just have to move back and start working and then we'll follow when my processing is done.
Congrats!! Fingers crossed everything works out - smooth sailing w/out any problems along the way.

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Question re: Application form IMM 0008 - Education/Occupational Detail

*Number of years of education in total (the total number of years of formal education that they completed, including elementary and secondary school).
Just to confirm - starting from Gr. 1, yeah?

It says in total, so I included the primary, along with elementary, secondary/high school, and college/university. Because in Schedule A, it asked for elementary/primary upto college/university.

Also, *intended occupation - can we fill out section with TBD?
- I suggest you avoid using acronym. You can put any intended occupation, it doesn't mean you have to stick with it when you come to Canada.

BTW, I'm in better spirits now

-That's the spirit! Never lose hope! Just have to keep moving forward.
Thankkk youuuu!!! <3

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
I need clarification. I'm probably over-thinking this..

RE: IMM 0008 - Generic Application Form under Application Details

*How many family members (whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not), including you, are in this application - Initially we entered 1 - as my spouse doesn't have dependent children; his family members consists of his father and brother, who will not be accompanying him to Canada. Now I'm thinking maybe we should enter 3 instead? ... however my spouse's family doesn't fall under IRCC definition of family members (spouse/common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children). Therefore, there is no need for us to "Add Dependent" and leave it as 1 family members, including my spouse in this application, right?

Again, I'm over-thinking this..

The form guide states "if you have more than (5) dependents: To include everyone in your application you must complete the following form (Additional Dependents/Declaration [IMM0008DEP]) for each additional family member:

So we entered his father, brother, and deceased mother 's information in the fields..*overanalyzing* were supposed to add them to "Add Dependent" on the Generic application form instead? (but they don't fall under IRCC definition of family members, I am confusion lol).

If so, I find it strange that the list under Relationship to Principal Applicant doesn't include "Mother" and/or "Father" - I'm aware I can select "other" and type in the relationship but still... Also, Dependent Type doesn't make sense, in the event we are supposed to add my spouse's father, brother, and deceased mother - that part would not be applicable.

Thank you in advance! *goes to bed*

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I need clarification. I'm probably over-thinking this..

RE: IMM 0008 - Generic Application Form under Application Details

*How many family members (whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not), including you, are in this application - Initially we entered 1 - as my spouse doesn't have dependent children; his family members consists of his father and brother, who will not be accompanying him to Canada. Now I'm thinking maybe we should enter 3 instead? ... however my spouse's family doesn't fall under IRCC definition of family members (spouse/common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children). Therefore, there is no need for us to "Add Dependent" and leave it as 1 family members, including my spouse in this application, right?
Yes, you are over-thinking. Only your spouse (if he has no dependent children). The part you missed (that confuses absolutely everybody) is the line in form 0008 that says "are in this application."

This form is for those immediate family members that are being sponsored to come to Canada (or are dependents non-accompanying that could be sponsored later). Note: any Canadian citizens like children should not be put on this form either, as they can't be sponsored, as already citizens).

Therefore, no, in your case, no parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. Just spouse and dependent children (and in rarer cases, dependent children of dependent children).

There is a separate background information form on which parents etc should be entered - but that's not about sponsorship of them, only identification.

Reactions: Akissi18 and bcakes

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Reactions: armoured

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!
Today will be a good day.

AK.

Reactions: bcakes

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi everyone, my spouse and I mailed in our outland application on Tuesday September 8, 2020. Looks like we will have quite the wait!
If it is a quite straight forward application with adequate evidences to support your marriage, the target processing time should be within 12 months. If your spouse is from first class Countries, such as US, UK, and etc., it can be even shorter, sounds unfair to those from other Countries, but that is the way it is.

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
If it is a quite straight forward application with adequate evidences to support your marriage, the target processing time should be within 12 months. If your spouse is from first class Countries, such as US, UK, and etc., it can be even shorter, sounds unfair to those from other Countries, but that is the way it is.
I hope so! My spouse is American. Sadly, based on other threads I’ve noticed covid has delayed the timeline significantly....

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
I hope so! My spouse is American. Sadly, based on other threads I’ve noticed covid has delayed the timeline significantly....
It will be delayed, but not that much for US applicants, because not that many Americans immigrate to Canada every year. Prior to COVID 19, average processing time for a straight forward (no red flags and no criminal history) spousal sponsorship application for US applicant is around 3-4 months. With COVID 19, it may delay couple months tops.

Reactions: Korion

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
It will be delayed, but not that much for US applicants, because not that many Americans immigrate to Canada every year. Prior to COVID 19, average processing time for a straight forward (no red flags and no criminal history) spousal sponsorship application for US applicant is around 3-4 months. With COVID 19, it may delay couple months tops.
Really??? That is great news!! What are you basing that off? I really want it to be true. I thought covid has delayed everything past March

Reactions: Korion

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Really??? That is great news!! What are you basing that off? I really want it to be true. I thought covid has delayed everything past March
The process is still rolling, just being very slow average wise. But to American applicant of spouse sponsorship, prior to COVID 19, average processing time is around 3-4 months, that is from my observations from varies cases on this forum, also, includes my case. It took exactly 4 months for my case to be approved. It is my speculation to assume the delay for American applicant is about 2-3 months though. But waiting isn't an issue for American applicant, your spouse can easily come to visit you in Canada, even the border is closed now. The close relatives of Canadian Citizen and PR is exempted from the travel restrictions. Once your spouse comes in Canada, he/she can stay for 6 months, and the stay can be extended, which means, pretty much sure that your spouse can wait in Canada, till the decision made, if you want that way.

Reactions: Akissi18

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
The process is still rolling, just being very slow average wise. But to American applicant of spouse sponsorship, prior to COVID 19, average processing time is around 3-4 months, that is from my observations from varies cases on this forum, also, includes my case. It took exactly 4 months for my case to be approved. It is my speculation to assume the delay for American applicant is about 2-3 months though. But waiting isn't an issue for American applicant, your spouse can easily come to visit you in Canada, even the border is closed now. The close relatives of Canadian Citizen and PR is exempted from the travel restrictions. Once your spouse comes in Canada, he/she can stay for 6 months, and the stay can be extended, which means, pretty much sure that your spouse can wait in Canada, till the decision made, if you want that way.
That is great news! Thank you, I really appreciate your insights :) :)