08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Hello!

I'm new to this site - I stumbled upon it while looking for answers online and decided to create an account. I am in the process of sponsoring my spouse. I have so many questions, feeling overwhelmed, and don't even know where to begin. As much as I appreciate all the information provided throughout this forum, it's a lot - I'm not going to lie with the various threads, pages, terminology, abbreviations, etc. there's no way I could get through them and find the answers I'm looking for.

I never thought in a millions years I'd be in this position. That's life - expect the unexpected. Also, I never thought I would be on a forum asking for your expertise, assistance and support. I don't know the first thing about the immigration process to Canada, hence why I created this thread.

My hope and intent for this thread is to share our experiences and knowledge, provide support and answers. No question is a dumb question. We are all in this together. The ultimate goal is to unite with family.

---

FYI:

Sponsor: Me
Resides: In Canada (a Canadian citizen)

Principal applicant: My spouse
Resides: Outside of Canada

Dependant(s): None

---

Let's get it started :)

Application Guide (Everything you need to know):

Basic Guide:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html
Detailed information on how to fill out forms:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

**Checklist** (MUST-HAVE):
My application package consists of the following applications:

Forms for the sponsor (me) to fill out:
Forms for the principal applicant (my spouse) to fill out:

//***IMPORTANT***//
Some country may require specific requirements - ensure you look into that.

Additional forms my spouse is required to fill out are the following:
As well as the instruction(s) for documents:
Birth certificates issued by this country: If the birth certificate for your child/children wasn’t issued at the time of birth, please submit the supplementary judgment and the following documents:
  • Other official document naming the parents
  • School documents listing the parents (If not available, provide an explanation.)
  • Copy of Household registry
----

What Form(s) Have You Completed So Far?

ME: Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344).
  • Validated - sent to my spouse via email to print and sign.
FYI: My mother is in the country my spouse resides in at this time, so I'm attempting to complete all the forms that require his signature that way my mother can send them to me when she returns to Canada next week.

I really hope there will be some engagement in this thread because I could really use the help.

Thank you in advance and all the best!!
AK
. xx

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Hello!

I'm new to this site - I stumbled upon it while looking for answers online and decided to create an account. I am in the process of sponsoring my spouse. I have so many questions, feeling overwhelmed, and don't even know where to begin. As much as I appreciate all the information provided throughout this forum, it's a lot - I'm not going to lie with the various threads, pages, terminology, abbreviations, etc. there's no way I could get through them and find the answers I'm looking for.

I never thought in a millions years I'd be in this position. That's life - expect the unexpected. Also, I never thought I would be on a forum asking for your expertise, assistance and support. I don't know the first thing about the immigration process to Canada, hence why I created this thread.

My hope and intent for this thread is to share our experiences and knowledge, provide support and answers. No question is a dumb question. We are all in this together. The ultimate goal is to unite with family.

---

FYI:

Sponsor: Me
Resides: In Canada (a Canadian citizen)

Principal applicant: My spouse
Resides: Outside of Canada

Dependant(s): None

---

Let's get it started :)

Application Guide (Everything you need to know):

Basic Guide:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html
Detailed information on how to fill out forms:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

**Checklist** (MUST-HAVE):
My application package consists of the following applications:

Forms for the sponsor (me) to fill out:
Forms for the principal applicant (my spouse) to fill out:

//***IMPORTANT***//
Some country may require specific requirements - ensure you look into that.

Additional forms my spouse is required to fill out are the following:
As well as the instruction(s) for documents:
Birth certificates issued by this country: If the birth certificate for your child/children wasn’t issued at the time of birth, please submit the supplementary judgment and the following documents:
  • Other official document naming the parents
  • School documents listing the parents (If not available, provide an explanation.)
  • Copy of Household registry
----

What Form(s) Have You Completed So Far?

ME: Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344).
  • Validated - sent to my spouse via email to print and sign.
FYI: My mother is in the country my spouse resides in at this time, so I'm attempting to complete all the forms that require his signature that way my mother can send them to me when she returns to Canada next week.

I really hope there will be some engagement in this thread because I could really use the help.

Thank you in advance and all the best!!
AK
. xx

According to the checklist, the principal applicant, in this case, your spouse, must complete and submit the Additional Family Information.

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
According to the checklist, the principal applicant, in this case, your spouse, must complete and submit the Additional Family Information.
I thought so.. but I wasn't entirely sure. It didn't make sense to me why he would have to include his family members (his dad and brother) if they weren't accompanying him.

Why is that? So he can sponsor his family to Canada in the future, is that why?

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
I thought so.. but I wasn't entirely sure. It didn't make sense to me why he would have to include his family members (his dad and brother) if they weren't accompanying him.

Why is that? So he can sponsor his family to Canada in the future, is that why?
I think it's also part of security or background check. And yes, maybe because for future reference like sponsorship, it will be on their database, confirming your spouse is related to them.

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
I think it's also part of security or background check. And yes, maybe because for future reference like sponsorship, it will be on their database, confirming your spouse is related to them.
Thank you for the information provided! I plan to help my spouse fill out some of his forms today, so I'm sure I'll run into a lot of questions. This should be fun >.< Lol

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
I can try to help. I finished organizing our documents yesterday and sent it to my spouse, the sponsor, via courier to Canada. My spouse will then sign and send our application to CPC Sydney Nova Scotia.

Reactions: Akissi18

WallyHan

Sep 4, 2020
Hello everyone. I am in the process of preparing the paperwork to sponsor my same sex spouse to move to Canada with me. We live together in China. I am Canadian and he is chinese and we were married in Saipan (USA) in September 2019. I have some questions that I am hoping someone might have the answer to.

How many pages should the entire application consist of? I have read other posts of 500 to 1000 pages but that seems like over kill to me. Am I wrong?

Do the pictures need to printed on card stock or would a regular sheet of paper be ok?

Does the criminal background check for my spouse need to be done and sent with the initial application or will they request that at a later date?

Based on everything i have read it would appear that we can provide everything they require with out much trouble but just looking at everything has me a little stressed out. I am hoping that getting answers to these two questions will help with that. But maybe not, ha ha.

Thanks In advance to anyone who can help.

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Hello everyone. I am in the process of preparing the paperwork to sponsor my same sex spouse to move to Canada with me. We live together in China. I am Canadian and he is chinese and we were married in Saipan (USA) in September 2019. I have some questions that I am hoping someone might have the answer to.

How many pages should the entire application consist of? I have read other posts of 500 to 1000 pages but that seems like over kill to me. Am I wrong?

Do the pictures need to printed on card stock or would a regular sheet of paper be ok?

Does the criminal background check for my spouse need to be done and sent with the initial application or will they request that at a later date?

Based on everything i have read it would appear that we can provide everything they require with out much trouble but just looking at everything has me a little stressed out. I am hoping that getting answers to these two questions will help with that. But maybe not, ha ha.

Thanks In advance to anyone who can help.
It is indeed overwhelming at first, knowing there are a forms to fill up along with other required documents. But eventually, it will get easier. I suggest that you read the complete guide first.

Then after that, read the document checklist and start from there. As for your questions, there are no limit to the number of pages. But I suggest quality over quantity. There are some required numbers of pictures though, maximum 20 photos. Photos can be printed in photo paper or regual sheet of paper. You need to write or label a brief description at the back of each photos. Also, provide 10 pages maximum for proof of contact to the sponsor. All these informations are on the document checklist. They will not do background check via e-mail or request for it. But according to the document checklist, the principal applicant needs to provide police clearance. Make sure to check country specific requirements.

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Great questions @WallyHan!! And thank you @satmigs for your insight, such great help!

Last edited:

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Hello,

I just wanted to share information I came across today which has left me devastated and asking myself, ''is this whole process even with it?'' No matter how genuine my relationship is and the completion of the application package, I'm certain my application will get refused because of this..

So, traditionally I am married, a customary marriage was performed; however, I was not physically present during the customary ceremony therefore, it's considered a "proxy marriage" which is legal is my country - marriage certificate is in process.

However, I read online that IRCC does not recognize these types of marriages - proxy, telephone, internet and fax (as of June 2015) - if one or both parties are not physically present at the ceremony.

An exemption may exists if:
  • Your application was received before June 10, 2020
  • You are a member of the Canadian Armed Forces
References:
- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/legality.html

- https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1081&top=14

I don't know what to do now. I feel hopeless.

satmigs

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Hello,

I just wanted to share information I came across today which has left me devastated and asking myself, ''is this whole process even with it?'' No matter how genuine my relationship is and the completion of the application package, I'm certain my application will get refused because of this..

So, traditionally I am married, a customary marriage was performed; however, I was not physically present during the customary ceremony therefore, it's considered a "proxy marriage" which is legal is my country - marriage certificate is in process.

However, I read online that IRCC does not recognize these types of marriages - proxy, telephone, internet and fax (as of June 2015) - if one or both parties are not physically present at the ceremony.

References:
- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/legality.html

It is true that Canada doesn't recognize a marriage where both are not physically present. Do not lose hope though, just need to make it official and get married physically when it is safe enough to travel to for both of you and yout spouse. I suggest you use this time of waiting to gather and compile your documents.

Reactions: Akissi18

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Depends entirely on each individual case. My husband and I had a successful application that was between 100 and 150 pages for the entire application. (He was a New Zealand applicant and we had a very simple, straightforward case)

Depending on the PA’s home country specific requirements, whether translations are required, etc can make the application vary in size.

Reactions: jonesy

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Hi there :)

Question re: Application form IMM 0008 - Education/Occupational Detail

*Number of years of education in total (the total number of years of formal education that they completed, including elementary and secondary school).
Just to confirm - starting from Gr. 1, yeah?

Also, *intended occupation - can we fill out section with TBD?

Thank you (BTW, I'm in better spirits now)!

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello,

References:

Don't waste your time to apply. Both of you need to physically present at the marriage ceremony, and IRCC stopped recognize proxy marriage in 2015. Exemption may exist with a high bar. 99.9% cases will be denied, it doesn't matter if your country recognize the proxy marriage or not.

Reactions: Akissi18 and YVR123

Akissi18

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
YEG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
24-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-03-2021
Med's Request
07-07-2021
Med's Done....
08-07-2021
Passport Req..
27-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2021
LANDED..........
16-09-2021
Don't waste your time to apply. Both of you need to physically present at the marriage ceremony, and IRCC stopped recognize proxy marriage in 2015. Exemption may exist with a high bar. 99.9% cases will be denied, it doesn't matter if your country recognize the proxy marriage or not.
Hi @Miraclejj, thank you for your response. I'll be making arrangements to go to my country this year or early next year to get married at the court house. Therefore, I'm sorting out the applications now, that way I'll have my spouse sign everything and add any additional supporting evidence to our package to be mailed out. :) By any means necessary.