+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seperated but not divorced

anderson1992

Sep 16, 2020
I am seperated from my spouse but not divorced. I am not planning on taking a divorce and I will not reconcile as well. I have selected my marital status as legally seperated. What documents would the CIC require as a proof that I am seperated?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am seperated from my spouse but not divorced. I am not planning on taking a divorce and I will not reconcile as well. I have selected my marital status as legally seperated. What documents would the CIC require as a proof that I am seperated?
Legal documents showing separation and filing for divorce. Proof of separate lives.

momsingle2020

Dec 21, 2020
Legal documents showing separation and filing for divorce. Proof of separate lives.
What proof of separate lives would be accepted, any utility bills or anything else? Also what if we don't file for divorce but just provide affidavit which confirms separation and no intention of going back?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What proof of separate lives would be accepted, any utility bills or anything else? Also what if we don't file for divorce but just provide affidavit which confirms separation and no intention of going back?
Proof of separate lives will be helpful but without legal documents you may get push back from IRCC.

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
get a notarized document stating your arrangement

tujisweet

Jul 5, 2019
I unsure of exactly what happened.
I just recall a lady got banned for 5 years for misrepresentation because she was living common law with a guy. They broke up. She got married to another guy. Then they broke up. She reconciled with the first guy. She applied for common law citing that she was in a continous one-year relationship with the first guy.
The visa agent some how found out about her marriage proving she couldnt have been in a continous for one year
Maybe thats why they need proof of legal separation

limejuice

Mar 28, 2015
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Nomination.....
10-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-06-2016
Med's Done....
24-06-2016
Passport Req..
in God's perfect time! 21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2016
LANDED..........
March 2017
I had the same scenario with you before I came in Canada. It is really tricky to prove this. But what I did is I wrote a letter of explanation about our situation that we are not living together anymore and the marriage had broken down and some more details. I also provided a notarized (sworn oath) document stating our current situation that we had been separated for many years and no chance for reconciliation (with our different addresses indicated) and gave more facts about us; that I am the sole care giver to our children,etc. I had also provided them a single parent ID (from our local government). They didnt ask for further documents and I assume I satisfied them with my provided documentation and I got a status of Legally Separated in my Visa. Hope this helps.

momsingle2020

Dec 21, 2020
I had the same scenario with you before I came in Canada. It is really tricky to prove this. But what I did is I wrote a letter of explanation about our situation that we are not living together anymore and the marriage had broken down and some more details. I also provided a notarized (sworn oath) document stating our current situation that we had been separated for many years and no chance for reconciliation (with our different addresses indicated) and gave more facts about us; that I am the sole care giver to our children,etc. I had also provided them a single parent ID (from our local government). They didnt ask for further documents and I assume I satisfied them with my provided documentation and I got a status of Legally Separated in my Visa. Hope this helps.
Did you apply for immigration or visit Visa?

limejuice

Mar 28, 2015
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Nomination.....
10-05-2016