+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

separation after PR

Tootoo33

Jul 4, 2020
Hello,

I have recently received PR under QSW. I'm a principal applicant and staying in Canada with my kids. My husband is going to land in Canada soon from his country.
He will not live together here with us and returns back to his country with PR card. I'm not sure he will come back or discard his PR card at this moment. We consider divorce seriously cause our relationship is the worse.

Should I report our separation to IRCC before his landing?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have recently received PR under QSW. I'm a principal applicant and staying in Canada with my kids. My husband is going to land to Canada soon from his country.
He will not live together here with us and returns back to his country with PR card. I'm not sure he will come back or discard his PR card at this moment. We consider of divorce seriously cause our relationship is the worse sine we haven't met each other since pandemic, and we are separated. I already changed my marital status on CRA.

Should I report our separation to IRCC before his landing?
If you do not advise IRCC that you are no longer together and remove him from your PR application you are committing immigration fraud. This can create big problems if you ever try to sponsor someone else. Even if you do attempt to sponsor someone else you will be required to wait 3 years. He should not be coming to Canada or getting a PR card. You signed documents saying that you would advise IRCC about any changes in your family composition. Being separated with no plans on living together is something you MUST tell IRCC and you MUST withdraw his name as secondary applicant on your PR application.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you for your advice. I need to ask IRCC what to do exactly.
Here’s a link

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=732&top=14

In the text field, include:

Your name,
Your date of birth,
Your complete address,
The date the application was sent,
Your client ID number (if available),
The type of application (for example, sponsorship of my spouse),
The reason for the withdrawal.

see type of application
Cancel spousal sponsorship of husband

Reason
Separation , no longer together

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your advice. I need to ask IRCC what to do exactly.
Check with a lawyer if you want. It’s not advice it is actually required. You can look at your own landing paperwork. It asks about change in family composition. It also just makes logical sense. You are allowed to sponsor a spouse to reunite with them and live in the same household not to get them a PR card so they can leave.