+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated with a kid but not divorced.

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,

If someone wish to apply for PR with a 5 year old kid who lives in canada with a kid for more than 2 years and currently on a work permit.

This person came to Canada 2 years back on student permit with son on a tourist visa and spouse got OWP but never came to Canada.

Would this person be eligible to apply for PR along with the kid under legally separated as they are living apart for more than 2 years. This person is still living in Canada with a kid.

Thanks

ProfMovingToCanada

Star Member
Jan 17, 2021
Would be interested in knowing too.
I think a document showing that you intend to divorce will be useful to show. As for the child, in my case, when I left NZ with her and the father stayed behind (we had decided to separate before son and I arrived in Canada), he signed a statutory declaration stating he did not object for our child to immigrate to Canada with me. Hoping this and my filed divorce application will be sufficient for ircc to exclude him before divorce is finalised and proceed with the pr application for me and my dependent child.

Nov 6, 2018
Would be interested in knowing too.
I think a document showing that you intend to divorce will be useful to show. As for the child, in my case, when I left NZ with her and the father stayed behind (we had decided to separate before son and I arrived in Canada), he signed a statutory declaration stating he did not object for our child to immigrate to Canada with me. Hoping this and my filed divorce application will be sufficient for ircc to exclude him before divorce is finalised and proceed with the pr application for me and my dependent child.
Hello, Congratulations on getting your PR. Just wanted to ask you if you applied with your filed divorce or you waited for your divorce to get finalised.
Thanks

ProfMovingToCanada

Star Member
Jan 17, 2021
Hello, Congratulations on getting your PR. Just wanted to ask you if you applied with your filed divorce or you waited for your divorce to get finalised.
Thanks
My divorce still isn't finalized. I applied with filed for divorce and provided the divorce file, an affidavit of separation and a letter from my lawyer.