+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated for three years then reconcile

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
Hi guys,
We are PRs. After we landed for 2 weeks 3 years ago, we separated. She lives in Canada with our daughter. I went back to my home country. We did not file divorce. She filed her tax as separated. Now we want to reconcile. My PR expired. Can she sponsor me to apply for new PR after we reconcile?

Thanks

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Your PR card is valid for longer than 3 years, you landed 3 years ago. So what stops you from just flying back using your PR card?
You PR status can't just expire. I understand that you believe that you did not meet residency requirement, however your PR status can't just expire. You can either renounce it or be stripped of it by the judge.

Last edited:

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
Your PR card is valid for longer than 3 years, you landed 3 years ago. So what stops you from just flying back using your PR card?
You PR status can't just expire. I understand that you believe that you did not meet residency requirement, however your PR status can't just expire. You can either renounce it or be stripped of it by the judge.
Thanks zt2018. Actually, we waited for 2 years before we landed. I can renounce it. My question is if we reconcile, May my wife sponsor me? Does this period of separation affect the sponsorship? Thanks

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
If you lose your PR status, your wife can sponsor you. Of course, IRCC will have questions about your relationships and you'll need to prove that your reconcilliation is genuine and not for PR.

However your situation is still not clear to me. You become PR since the moment you land, then you get your PR card and need to live in Canada certain number of days in order to maintain PR status. What happened before landing is irrelevant.
Can you give more details with dates? I might be wrong, but I think you make your situation look more complicated than it is.

g980452

Dec 20, 2017
If you lose your PR status, your wife can sponsor you. Of course, IRCC will have questions about your relationships and you'll need to prove that your reconcilliation is genuine and not for PR.

However your situation is still not clear to me. You become PR since the moment you land, then you get your PR card and need to live in Canada certain number of days in order to maintain PR status. What happened before landing is irrelevant.
Can you give more details with dates? I might be wrong, but I think you make your situation look more complicated than it is.
Thanks! Sorry I did not describe it clearly. We soft landed 5years ago and then landed for second time 3 years ago.
My another question is how to prove reconciliation for CIC?

Reactions: Roop1315

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Well, now the situation is clear, you PR card has expired and you have not met residency requirement. But you are still a PR. You can try to apply for PR travel document (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html) and most likely they will offer you to sign docs confirming that you understand that you have not met residency requirement and voluntary renounce your PR status. Alternatively you can try to come to Canada by land using your expired PR and COPR and the officer at the border will initiate a case for you and it will go to a judge and if you keep your PR staus or not will depend on the judge's decision. (Both scenarios happened to my friend: she tried to apply for a travel doc, was offered to renounce her PR and get a visitor visa instead, she denied. Came to Canada by vehicle (from US), attended hearing and was able to persuade the judge that she had valid reasons to be out of Canada, got new PR card)

If you lose your PR, then...sponsorship. You'll need to provide very detailed information regarding your relationship, probably what caused the separation, if you were in contact during these years (you probably had to communicate one way or the other as you have a child together), what you did to re-establish your relationship (councelling, correspondence, visits etc). It is hard to say how you can prove your reconciliation, each situation is unique, I'd say tell them truth and nothing but the truth :)

Userfriendly28

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Same here minus the Pr card . For the reconciliation proof by stating the situation you mean writing a letter explaining why we separated and how we went back together ? Then would old pictures and new pictures still be used or simply the part from were we got back together ? Also if the conversation within 3 years were minimal does it matter ? (5-6 texts there and there with a laps of 4-6 months in between each)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same here minus the Pr card . For the reconciliation proof by stating the situation you mean writing a letter explaining why we separated and how we went back together ? Then would old pictures and new pictures still be used or simply the part from were we got back together ? Also if the conversation within 3 years were minimal does it matter ? (5-6 texts there and there with a laps of 4-6 months in between each)
You will need to show recent in person visits that is not just about your daughter seeing her father, proof of tects over the past months/year where you started reconnecting again. A sudden reconciliation will likely be highly scrutinized and may be refused. Like a new marriage you have to eatablish that you were in a relationship before applying for sponsorship.

Reactions: zt2018

Roop1315

Jan 19, 2022
Thanks! Sorry I did not describe it clearly. We soft landed 5years ago and then landed for second time 3 years ago.
My another question is how to prove reconciliation for CIC?
Hi What happened to your reconciliation? Were you able to get your PR via your wife?