+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seniors Financial Assistance Program after sponsored and landed

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
Hi, my parent is 70+ who recently became a PR after being sponsored. Alberta for context. I understand those sponsoring parents are financially responsible for 20 years and they can't go under welfare but the details are not all very clear.

After applying for his Alberta Health Card enclosed was information about Seniors Financial Assistance Programs and how to apply.

Can a sponsored parent apply for Seniors Financial Assistance Program?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, my parent is 70+ who recently became a PR after being sponsored. Alberta for context. I understand those sponsoring parents are financially responsible for 20 years and they can't go under welfare but the details are not all very clear.

After applying for his Alberta Health Card enclosed was information about Seniors Financial Assistance Programs and how to apply.

I think they can apply for welfare but you will be billed by the related government officials.

Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

There’s a number online to call

call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.

However you should have looked into this prior to sponsoring them . They were from the 2019 batch . You’ve had ample time to research , budget .You’ll be on the hook for them
You should assume the Province won’t be supporting them , budget for that , and if they do , consider them extremely fortunate