+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SENIOR MOVING TO CANADA FROM U.S.

donbela

Mar 11, 2018
What are the requirements for a senior citizen to move to Canada on a permanent basis (probably becoming a Canadian citizen)? My questions center around income requirements (if any), taxes on retirement income (all income from U.S.), and what is needed to get immigration forms and what documents you need from me. I am 66 yo and my male spouse is 79.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What are the requirements for a senior citizen to move to Canada on a permanent basis (probably becoming a Canadian citizen)? My questions center around income requirements (if any), taxes on retirement income (all income from U.S.), and what is needed to get immigration forms and what documents you need from me. I am 66 yo and my male spouse is 79.
Canada has no retirement immigration class. Immigration programs are geared towards young skilled workers.

If you happen to have children who are Canadian (permanent residents or citizens), who live in Canada and who make enough income to meet the requirements to sponsor you through family class - then that would certainly be a very viable option.

Otherwise - assume it won't be possible to move here permanently. You'll have to be satisfied with occasionally visiting Canada as a tourist.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
As mentioned above, it will realistically be impossible for you to ever immigrate to Canada unless you have Canadian children that qualify to sponsor you.

You can certainly enter Canada as a visitor and can stay for long periods of time (at least 6 months), but can never permanently live here. You can even buy a home in Canada to use as a seasonal residence. However you must always maintain a residence in the US and will need to return at some point. If upon entering Canada CBSA feels you are trying to permanently move or live here, they can deny you entry and issue a temporary ban.

Note also you wont' have health insurance in Canada as a visitor, so you will need private travel medical insurance while here. This can of course be quite expensive the older you are.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
While the above posters are highly knowledgeable and experienced forum members, who I have much respect for, I think there is one more opportunity that they might have forgotten to mention, that might be open to you, regardless of your age, but depending on how wealthy you are. And that is the QUEBEC INVESTOR PROGRAM.

From my limited understanding of how it works, if I'm not mistaken, all you need is a net worth of $1.6 million CAD, approximately equal to $1.3 million USD (and it does not have to be liquid assets. I can be in the form of real estate etc., even inheritance money is acceptable they say). And you supposedly need to loan $800,000 CAD interest free to the Quebec government for a short period of time (something like 5 years). I read somewhere, this money can even be financed if you do not want to use your own assets and only need to come up with a portion of it!

In any case, I'm no expert on these programs, and someone with far superior knowledge of how it works can chime in!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
While the above posters are highly knowledgeable and experienced forum members, who I have much respect for, I think there is one more opportunity that they might have forgotten to mention, that might be open to you, regardless of your age, but depending on how wealthy you are. And that is the QUEBEC INVESTOR PROGRAM.

From my limited understanding of how it works, if I'm not mistaken, all you need is a net worth of $1.6 million CAD, approximately equal to $1.3 million USD (and it does not have to be liquid assets. I can be in the form of real estate etc., even inheritance money is acceptable they say). And you supposedly need to loan $800,000 CAD interest free to the Quebec government for a short period of time (something like 5 years). I read somewhere, this money can even be financed if you do not want to use your own assets and only need to come up with a portion of it!

In any case, I'm no expert on these programs, and someone with far superior knowledge of how it works can chime in!
Yes - this is true. Things to keep in mind is that Quebec does assess other selection factors - which include age. Also, this is one of the programs with very long application processing times. The OP would likely be looking at 4-5 years from the time they apply to the time the application processing time is completed. OP will be early 70s by then - spouse will be close to mid 80s.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk