+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR cards outside Canada through courier !

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Dear friends,

Need a fresh update on this issue. Is it legal or illegal to send PR cards outside Canada through any courier service, a practice adopted by most of the new immigrants who leave Canada after a short stay. Please advise.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's absolutely legal to send PR cards outside Canada through courier.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks steaky, but one of the consultants that we have come across in Canada has termed this practice as totally illegal. So just wanted to have a fresh opinion on the subject.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you mean to give an address of your friend in Canada at POE as an address for mailng your PR card, and then your friend will mail it to you by courier to another country? I support your consultant in it. If it is allowed then there would not be a need in "Travel Document"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Also
We do not mail permanent resident cards (PR cards) to addresses outside Canada. Please choose the option below that describes your case.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Regina said:
Do you mean to give an address of your friend in Canada at POE as an address for mailng your PR card, and then your friend will mail it to you by courier to another country? I support your consultant in it. If it is allowed then there would not be a need in "Travel Document"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Also
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10
absolutely, you have hit a solid point and it makes sense too. But I guess why seniors stress upon such practice being legal is that CIC has nowhere termed it as illegal. Secondly there are rental post boxes who forward all such docs to you outside Canada. One of my friend has recently rented postal box from UPS and now waiting for his PR cards while being out of Canada. Safehomestay is also doing this service by charging some extra money. Had it been illegal as such, no body would be doing it openly like this.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
CIC states they will not mail your PR card outside of Canada. They don't specify anywhere that the PR card should not be mailed outside of Canada at all. There is where the catch 22 is. Just because CIC won't do it does not make it illegal. Giving a false address to CIC to get a PR card is illegal though and could, if they wished to chase it down and prosecute, be a reason to revoke your PR for misrepresentation. Again, just because they don't mail them out of country doesn't mean they can't be mailed out of country but the means for obtaining that card via misrepresentation could and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. I guess it all depends on how each individual immigrant wishes to view the 'law' of Canada and which laws they choose to follow and which they choose to ignore.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Alurra71 said:
CIC states they will not mail your PR card outside of Canada. They don't specify anywhere that the PR card should not be mailed outside of Canada at all. There is where the catch 22 is. Just because CIC won't do it does not make it illegal. Giving a false address to CIC to get a PR card is illegal though and could, if they wished to chase it down and prosecute, be a reason to revoke your PR for misrepresentation. Again, just because they don't mail them out of country doesn't mean they can't be mailed out of country but the means for obtaining that card via misrepresentation could and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. I guess it all depends on how each individual immigrant wishes to view the 'law' of Canada and which laws they choose to follow and which they choose to ignore.
Just as it is legal to mail a Canadian passport, a Canadian driver's licence or a Canadian health card outside of Canada, it is legal to mail a PR card. It's perfectly understandable as to why CIC flat-out refuses to mail cards abroad; can you imagine the exorbitant costs and extra hassle of mailing tens of thousands of PR cards internationally? Even if the new PRs paid for the postage, it is still a lot of extra work to process that payment and arrange the international shipping.

Also, many people straight out tell the landing officer that they are returning to their home country to settle their affairs and are giving someone else's address for the PR card. And it's pretty common for the people that are staying in Canada to give the address of a family member/friend because they aren't sure where they will be living a few months down the line when the PR card is mailed out; maybe they are staying with the family member/friend or in a hotel when they arrive while they look for a place of their own. My partner's landing officer simply said "Where do you want it mailed?" Nothing about whether it was our address, whether we would be living there when the card arrived etc. Most officers really don't care because it's not law that the address given must be the one the person will be living at.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
Hi Alurra, you mean when we give our friend's or relative address on landing for receiving PR cards,...that is illegal ! Are you sure about it !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hasni said:
Hi Alurra, you mean when we give our friend's or relative address on landing for receiving PR cards,...that is illegal ! Are you sure about it !
It's not.

fallen_hero

Aug 23, 2012
Hi All,

I am Quebec skilled worker, who recently landed. I have not given any mailing address for the pr card, as I don't know my whereabouts in a month and pr card takes more than 3 months now. The thing is I stated to reside in quebec and montreal, but I have job offer that requires me to move to a different province. What are my options here. According to the officer I can give the new address in montreal when i move in to my new location, but since it will be outside quebec will that cause any problem. Please help me decide quickly.

Thanks all.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
fallen_hero said:
Hi All,

I am Quebec skilled worker, who recently landed. I have not given any mailing address for the pr card, as I don't know my whereabouts in a month and pr card takes more than 3 months now. The thing is I stated to reside in quebec and montreal, but I have job offer that requires me to move to a different province. What are my options here. According to the officer I can give the new address in montreal when i move in to my new location, but since it will be outside quebec will that cause any problem. Please help me decide quickly.

Thanks all.
It very well might as you obviously can't even claim you 'intended' to live in Quebec but were unable to find a job. You haven't even been around long enough to get a PR card. I don't know the solution to your dilemma but perhaps another more senior member has an answer.

fallen_hero

Aug 23, 2012
I have been in montreal for more than 4 years.. working for more than 2 years. but with a better opportunity in other province.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
fallen_hero said:
I have been in montreal for more than 4 years.. working for more than 2 years. but with a better opportunity in other province.
Those facts are irrlevent when it comes to getting your PR. You just received it, and I am assuming you got it under provincial nominee or something similar for Quebec, and at that the time signed the paperwork that stated you intended to live/work in Quebec. Now that you have landed, you are asking about leaving the province for 'greener pastures' and you haven't even yet received your PR card or given an address where you can get it. I don't understand how you don't have an address if you have been living in Montreal for 4 years now.

The point is, they aren't going to look at what you were doing before you had gotten your PR, they would only look at the time since you signed all your paperwork and landed. And to leave that quickly will certainly not look favorably upon you. I don't know what, if anything they would do, but if they pushed it, you could loose your PR for misrepresentation (stating you would live/work in Quebec when you had no intent of doing so)

fallen_hero

Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for your advice. I believe it is better to wait for the pr card to arrive. Once I have the card, is it still going to be an issue to move out?

Also, does anyone know if I need to renew my health card?
And cancel my health card before moving out?