+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passports to Ottawa from the US

gilean

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

Believe me, I searched every single topic for the last 2 hours but can't find a definitive response.

I have to send the passports to Ottawa from the US. After reading multiple topics, looks like sending it via Fedex is the correct way. I created an account at Fedex to create return shipment as well.

First of all, am I doing the right thing? Is fedex the right choice?

If I am correct, I have 4 questions;

1- The declared value and the customs value is 0. But the system doesn't let me put 0 for the customs value. What should I do? Should I put $1 for both?

2- The document type: I manually wrote passports, immogration documents. Is this correct or do I have to use a preset?

3- It doesn't let me fill custom declaration saying I don't need it. But looking at the other topics, people say I should fill for both ways. Can I do that later on at the fedex office?

4- Should I select commercial or personal effect or gift or what? It looks like commercial is the right one. Am I correct?

Thank you very very much!

gilean

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
I will contact you tomorrow.

I wonder how long would it take to change VO to somewhere in US such as Houston?

sraj07

May 26, 2015
So far everyone has sent pp to ottawaonly , except aru_nj , he alone changed it to local vo in usa
btw , whats the address they give in rfv email? Mine was some p.o. box number ,, not sure if that is where we need to send , pls check u r rfv email and let me know

gilean

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
gilean said:
I will contact you tomorrow.

I wonder how long would it take to change VO to somewhere in US such as Houston?
Answering myself here. Looks like only LA and NYC have visa offices that give passport services. So Houston is probably not possible.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See my reply in red

gilean said:
Hi everyone,

Believe me, I searched every single topic for the last 2 hours but can't find a definitive response.

I have to send the passports to Ottawa from the US. After reading multiple topics, looks like sending it via Fedex is the correct way. I created an account at Fedex to create return shipment as well.

First of all, am I doing the right thing? Is fedex the right choice?
Yes, you are doing right. I believe FedEx is only company which has the Return shipment option.

If I am correct, I have 4 questions;

1- The declared value and the customs value is 0. But the system doesn't let me put 0 for the customs value. What should I do? Should I put $1 for both?

Declared and Customs value should be 1 (minimum value that need to be entered). In the list of option, choose Immigration papers - Personal Use.

2- The document type: I manually wrote passports, immigration documents. Is this correct or do I have to use a preset?
Use Immigration papers - Personal Use.

3- It doesn't let me fill custom declaration saying I don't need it. But looking at the other topics, people say I should fill for both ways. Can I do that later on at the fedex office?

Return Shipment cannot be created by the personnel in the shop. Even if you go there, they will have you logon to one of their computers there using your fedex id and then create Return Shipment using your id. If you just created you FedEx login, you can ask the FedEx representative to attach you credit card to your account or you can try doing this online as well.

4- Should I select commercial or personal effect or gift or what? It looks like commercial is the right one. Am I correct?

Personal Use. You are not mailing anything commercial, all are your personal Immigration docs.

Thank you very very much!

Reactions: summerxx

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gilean said:
CPC – Ottawa – PR
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa ON
K1A 1L1
The P.O Address could possible be for inland candidates who have been asked to send thru Canada post. US applicants would need to use the above address and PO box address would not be applicable for outlanders

sraj07

May 26, 2015
hi rajanvn,
yes man its my bad , I sent the wrong address to you , that's only for Canada ppl .
for us , it is the physical address mentioned by gilean ..

now I am confused whether to request change in VO or send to ottwaa .,.
If you look at the back /last page of our passport , it is mentioned there not to send the PP out of country in post ...:-(