+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passports to Canada from USA

Apr 30, 2014
Hi,
I dont know if its only me or if there are more folks that have managed to confuse themsleves like me on the communication they received from cpc ottawa.
i was asked to send my passports to Ottawa CIC. They want a return prepaid shipping label from canada post.
My Questions is
- If i want to print a return label out, what must i put on the "From Address" should it be the courier address of the cic..i.e.
CPC – Ottawa
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1

-Do i need to include a return envelope?

- If i chose fedex/dhl, cant i use their prepaid return service?

please respond
sandeepraj

Apr 30, 2014
Request folks to please respond.
I know this has been discussed but people have mentioned that they sent fedex and added a canadapost return label. they never discussed what happened after that.

Also, those posts pertain to 2013 and hence are not current.
Can you please help

Apr 30, 2014
This is what i am going to do - the call center employee confused me a little but we were in agreement to a large extent that
- I can use Fedex-DHL
- I can buy only the shipping labels and FROM column would have CPC ottawas address as per their email
- They dont need evelopes.

Will keep the group informed as to what happened.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hi,

- You can use whatever service you want to SEND the passport (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.). Just make sure you use the appropriate address.
- If you want to include a return label, it must be from CanadaPost. If you include a return label from FedEx or DHL or UPS or any other courier service, they will ignore it and return your passport using regular mail (therefore wasted money on your end + slower service). If time is not a factor and you would rather save a few bucks, do not include a shipping label at all and they will use regular mail to return the passports.
- As you mentioned, just put CIC's address as the FROM address on the shipping label.

Congrats!

Apr 30, 2014
Hey thanks. I got a notification from dhl that CPC recieved my passports. Have included a shipping label..will keep you informed on how quickly i get my passports back.
Including a canada post return label and tracking it is a better option because regular mails cant be tracked i believe.

meena84

Jan 1, 2015
Please let us know the time it took to get the PPR back...i will send my Passport in April.

Alpha_PR

Sep 17, 2015
Hi Sandeep,

I received an email to send Passport on 14th Sep.
Can you please advise through the process you have sent.

Did you use Fedex/ DHL from USA for sending and Any other service for returning the passports to USA?

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks Much.

aru_nj

Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2015
Doc's Request.
26-08-2015
AOR Received.
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2016
LANDED..........
09-05-2016
Alpha_PR said:
Hi Sandeep,

I received an email to send Passport on 14th Sep.
Can you please advise through the process you have sent.

Did you use Fedex/ DHL from USA for sending and Any other service for returning the passports to USA?

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks Much.
I am re posting it her..

Sending Indian passport from one country to another is a crime under Indian passport act. Instruction is printed on the back page of Indian passport. If they found it later that you had not traveled to Canada on the specific visa issue dates they can taken action against you(like passport cancellation, visa cancellation and even fine).

There are two successful candidates who could able to get Visa stamping from Newyork visa office , which was on their request. Please find the thread below

Better to sent mail, Fax and CSE to Ottawa and Newyork visa office explaining your situation.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/profiles/k_b-u505132.html;sa,showPosts

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/profiles/canugc-u547733.html;sa,showPosts

I am also in USA , was researching abt this , i am yet to receive a final stage of my file.

Please update your further action and also your timeline

Reg
Arun

Apr 30, 2014
hi, i heard about it being illegal and all when i was abt to send it. However, i went ahead and did it as described in the post just like 1000s and 1000s of other people around the world and 1000s of indians...and it worked just fine.

subashpaudyal

Jul 7, 2013
Dear friends,

You shouldn't transfer the passport via general posts like dhl or fedex. Just write a mail to your VO(NDVO) and they will forward the case to the VAC in USA (either in LA or NYC). Then you need to provide your passport to US VAC and they will perform the other tasks.

Its the best, reliable and recommended way of transfering your passport from other country than home, if you are roaming.

Regards,
Subash

Ganesha

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2132<br />IELTS : Submitted With Application<br />PPC : Submitted With Application
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Jul 2014<br />Fees Charged.: 03 Nov 2014<br />PER Received.: 13 Nov 2014<br />AOR Received.: 13 Nov 2014<br />MR received...: 18 Dec 2014<br />RPRF received...: 18 Dec 2014<br />MEDs done.....: 19 Dec 2014<br />MEDs received: 26 Dec 2014<br />Interview.....: Waived<br />Passport Request: 13 Feb 2015<br />Passport sent: 14 Feb 2015<br />Visa issued.....: 19 Feb 2015<br />Landed.....: 4 Dec 2015<br /><br /><b>FAQ:</b><br /><a href="http://fswp2013.wordpress.com/FAQs">Canada FSWP FAQs</a><br /><b>Spreadsheet:</b><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/FSW14-Spreadsheet">FSW 2014 Spreadsheet</a><br /><b>Chit Chat:</b><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/FSW-2014-FORUM">FSW 2014 DISCUSSION FORUM</a><br /><b>Enter your own data:</b><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/FSW14-Entry">FSW 2014 Entry</a><hr />
There is no problem. I sent Indian Passport from US to CANADA thru FEDEX with Canada express mail return label. In the custom declaration, It was even mentioned, the package contents are passports and documents. Package reached CANADA safely. CIC stamped the passport and return the passport thru CANADA express mail. No issue at all

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
sandeepcanadaianbanenge said:
Hey thanks. I got a notification from dhl that CPC recieved my passports. Have included a shipping label..will keep you informed on how quickly i get my passports back.
Including a canada post return label and tracking it is a better option because regular mails cant be tracked i believe.
How did you get the canada post return label?

I am in the US and trying to figure this part out

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
kevon2310 said:
How did you get the canada post return label?

I am in the US and trying to figure this part out
As of late 2016, they accept non-Canada Post labels/envelopes. I personally included a prepaid FedEx envelope+label and they used that to return the passport

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
MidoRafa said:
As of late 2016, they accept non-Canada Post labels/envelopes. I personally included a prepaid FedEx envelope+label and they used that to return the passport
Oh wow, you would think this is something they would publicize more, extremely thankful for this information