+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
Here's my experience of sending passports from US to CPC Ottawa and receiving those back within a week. I'm writing in as much detail as possible so that it helps people in the future.

Timeline
  • PPR: April 14
  • Passports sent via FedEx: May 4
  • Package delivered to CPC Ottawa: May 5
  • FedEx return tracking activated: May 12
  • Application status changed to "Approved": May 13
  • Return package delivered: May 13
Checklist
  • Original passport for myself and my wife (Citizenship: India)
  • Photocopy of passport for my kid (Citizenship: USA)
  • Two photos for each of us
  • Signed "Annex A" with my mailing address
  • Cover letter
Label Creation
I created a FedEx online account first and used FedEx Ship Manager Lite to create the onward and return labels. I chose FedEx International Priority (next day delivery) for both shipments.
  1. Onward Label: I used the CPC Ottawa address mentioned in my PPR letter. Wrote "CPCO - PR VISA" under 'Name' and "US Permanent/Temp Residence Visa/PP" under 'Company' (due to text length constraint)
  2. Return Label: I followed the instructions for writing the "From" address at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html. As I didn't have IRCC's phone number or email address, I put my phone number and email address wherever those were required
  3. Shipment Details: I kept the carriage value field blank and chose "Direct signature required" under Signature Type. For the return label, make sure to select "Use an already scheduled pickup at my location" under pickup options (as mentioned in the URL above)
  4. Customs Information: Select "Personal document" with $1 commercial value
At FedEx Office
  • I got 8 pages for the onward label and 7 pages for the return label (including commercial invoices). Took those prints and went to a nearby FedEx office along with other documents as per the checklist
  • They asked me to sign all the commercial invoices for the onward shipment. For the return shipment, they were not sure if I should sign on commercial invoices. I still signed those as well to avoid any issues afterwards
  • I asked for a large envelope for the onward shipment and another medium-sized envelope for the return shipment
  • They gave me back one copy of commercial invoice for both onward and return shipments
  • All other pages were put inside the transparent pouch of the onward and return envelopes (as applicable)
  • The credit card associated with the FedEx account would be charged a few days after the delivery
  • The onward package that was supposed to get delivered at "365 Laurier Ave West" actually got routed to a different address: "2303 Stevenage Dr". Don't worry if it happens with you. This seems to be the sorting facility for all couriers addressed to CPC Ottawa
Note
  • I was initially scared to send my passports outside the US as there were conflicting opinions regarding this. I sent a couple of emails to CPC Ottawa requesting them to change the location from Ottawa to VFS NY / LA. However, eventually I just went ahead and took the risk as there was no reply from CPC Ottawa
  • I didn't receive any update from IRCC after the onward shipment was delivered. Exactly a week later, I received a notification from FedEx that the return shipment has been picked up
  • The return package contained both of our passports with stamped PR visa and COPRs for all 3 of us. They also returned one photo for each of us (the other one was pasted on COPR)
I hope people find it useful. I found some great advices from old posts on this forum and thanks everyone for the same. All the best for your PR journey!
Hi! Thanks for all this info! Quick question, did you create the onward and return label at the same time (aka click the box that says add return label when creating onwards) or did you first create onwards and then created a return?

Thanks!

bharathk89

Dec 7, 2019
My timline
• 2/2/2022 – AINP Nomination (Got NOI in Sep-2021 and Nomination in February-2022)
• In March – ITA
• 4/2/22 - Application sent
• 6/16/22 - Biometric request
• 6/16/22 - Medical passed
• 7/8/22 - Biometrics submitted

December got married and notified IRCC through webform in January. Received a letter from IRCC in May-23 asking for documents of wife along with medical receipt. We did not have a UCI # for my wife. So, we figured we will do a upfront medical and upload the receipt.

5/23/23 - Submitted all documents
6/2/23 - They added dependent in the IRCC portal and we got the email stating documents are uploaded.
6/7/23 - IRCC updated passes medical
6/14/23 - Wife BIL request (scheduled for 6/30/23)
6/30/23 - Wife BIL complete
6/15/23 - Self (Eligibility pass)
7/19/23- Final Decision changed to processing on GC key
7/21/23 - Received PPR
7/22/23 - Sent passports to Ottawa, CA (Shoot any questions how to send your passport to Ottawa with photos and cover letter)
7/24/23 - Passport Delivered
7/26/23 - Sent a webform on 7/26/23 stating I have upcoming international travel
7/27/23 - Got response agent doesn't have information about the case
7/28/23 - Counterfoil and Application Approved
7/31/23 - CIC requested for new Fedex label since i had both to and from address as my address
8/2/23 - Fedex label activated
8/3/23 - Passport delivered
How to do this

"please submit a self-addressed shipping label along with its commercial invoice".

Do FedEx folks help with creating a commercial invoice.?

Texas2Toronto

Sep 1, 2023
PPR- 08/15
Passport Delivered at CPC Ottawa- 08/21
Application status approved in GC key - 08/29
Application marked closed in tracker- 08/30

No updates since then. Awaiting Fedex tracker to get activated

Reactions: bharathk89

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
Hey!

Super helpful thread, thank you!

1. RFV: 08/30/23
2. Dropped off at Fedex to ship to CPC-Ottawa: 08/31/23
3. Fedex delivered, signed by J. Joe: 09/01/23

I have international travel on October 5th, so hoping that everything runs smoothly!!!

Good luck, all.

bharathk89

Dec 7, 2019
Hey!

I have international travel on October 5th, so hoping that everything runs smoothly!!!

Good luck, all.
Did you added 'commercial invoice' for both ways..?

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
Did you added 'commercial invoice' for both ways..?
I did!

I followed exactly the steps that FeelTheBern posted last year. Hopefully, I get no issues. Took the pics in Fedex and signed one of them in the back. They didn’t have a good guillotine, so I used scissors, hopefully they don’t bounce back.

bharathk89

Dec 7, 2019
@tjtabel21 @Texas2Toronto I have mailed it to on Sept 2nd to 365 Laurier Av. West, Ottawa, ON K1A1L1 but I didn't see it as delivered yet.

And I went to the Fedex shipping center and came to know that it was delivered to a location at 300 Enigma Pvt, Gloucester and signed by J.Joe..hopefully they didn't delivered to the wrong address. Fingers crossed.

Is it same for you guys ?

Is it some kind of sorting facility for CPC Ottawa.? This location is surrounded by Govt. offices too.

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
@tjtabel21 @Texas2Toronto I have mailed it to on Sept 2nd to 365 Laurier Av. West, Ottawa, ON K1A1L1 but I didn't see it as delivered yet.

And I went to the Fedex shipping center and came to know that it was delivered to a location at 300 Enigma Pvt, Gloucester and signed by J.Joe..hopefully they didn't delivered to the wrong address. Fingers crossed.

Is it same for you guys ?

Is it some kind of sorting facility for CPC Ottawa.? This location is surrounded by Govt. offices too.
Hey! Mine says signed by J. Joe as well. I’ve seen several ppl in this forum whose passports have also been received by J. Joe and everything went well. So, I think we are all good ;)

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
Hey!

Good luck, all.
another update!

4. Passport marked as received on tracker: 09/06/23 (it was reflected on 09/07 though)

bharathk89

Dec 7, 2019
Timeline:
1. Dropped off at Fedex in Michigan on Sept 2.
2. Received by CPC Ottawa at a different address(300 Enigma Pvt, Gloucester) than what i had sent to, weird, signed by J.Joe on Sept 5th.
3. 'Passport/documents' received update on case tracker portal on Sept 13th.
4. 'Approved' on CIC portal. 'Closed' on case tracker portal on Sept 14th.
5. Fedex return label activated and passport dispatched on Sept 20th.

Last edited:

tjtabel21

Jul 21, 2023
another update!

4. Passport marked as received on tracker: 09/06/23 (it was reflected on 09/07 though)
Hi!!

Finally received my passport and CoPR!

5. Counterfoil Generated/Application Approved on GCKey: 09/11/23
6. Marked as closed on tracker: 09/12/23
7. Fedex Label Activated: 09/19/23 at 15:10 EST
8. Passport/CoPR Received: 09/21/23

good luck everyone!

Sevik144

Nov 8, 2023
Guys, I am sensing some trouble with my application! any help is appreciated:
RFV letter received: Sept 25, 2023
COPR number is reflected in the application now BUT with an expiration date of Nov 24, 2023 (maybe tied to my medical which expires the same day)
Passport Sent: Oct 5, 2023
Passport Received by Ottawa office: Oct 10, 2023 (Signed by R.ROSIE)
I have still not received my passport back and and return label is also not activated.
No updates on the application tracker. Nor on the GCKey portal. Webform submitted. No response!
Nowhere to contact!

arnk

Jun 20, 2023
Hi All,

Need one help. I have recently got PPR with request for sending passport to Ottawa.
I am Indian,currently residing in US on work visa.
Can i send my passport outside of the country to Ottawa? Also which courier company should i use for sending the return envelope? (UPS, Fedex)
Can someone share their experience?

arnk

Jun 20, 2023
Hi All,

Need one help. I have recently got PPR with request for sending passport to Ottawa.
I am Indian,currently residing in US on work visa.
Can i send my passport outside of the country to Ottawa? Also which courier company should i use for sending the return envelope? (UPS, Fedex)
Can someone share their experience?
Yes you cagoule send your passeport to the address indicated from the US. And I would advise to use FEdEx and not to forget the the prépayés return enveloppe. That is what I did a few month ago following the instructions they provided in their letter and although it took a while( like a month), I received my COPR. At the time a lot of people did receive their faster than I receive mine , but I eventually did get it.

Nov 22, 2023
Guys, I am sensing some trouble with my application! any help is appreciated:
RFV letter received: Sept 25, 2023
COPR number is reflected in the application now BUT with an expiration date of Nov 24, 2023 (maybe tied to my medical which expires the same day)
Passport Sent: Oct 5, 2023
Passport Received by Ottawa office: Oct 10, 2023 (Signed by R.ROSIE)
I have still not received my passport back and and return label is also not activated.
No updates on the application tracker. Nor on the GCKey portal. Webform submitted. No response!
Nowhere to contact!
Hi did you receive your passport back ? Been more than 2 weeks since I submitted mine . No update at all