+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

bosma_pol

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Hi, Did anybody get a new photo required email from CPC-Ottawa for COPR? If yes, how long did it take for them to process COPR and send the passport back? I got an email on May 31st indicating that photos I submitted do not meet specification and I have to send them new photos in 7 days. I couriered it the next day via Fedex, got delivered to Ottawa on June 2nd but no progress since then. Appreciate your inputs on this.
It took them ~10 days from the time the received new photos and my application was approved in gckey (June 4). The tracker has not been activated yet.

Reactions: bob_1627

kd73426

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Here's my experience of sending passports from US to CPC Ottawa and receiving those back within a week. I'm writing in as much detail as possible so that it helps people in the future.

Timeline
  • PPR: April 14
  • Passports sent via FedEx: May 4
  • Package delivered to CPC Ottawa: May 5
  • FedEx return tracking activated: May 12
  • Application status changed to "Approved": May 13
  • Return package delivered: May 13
Checklist
  • Original passport for myself and my wife (Citizenship: India)
  • Photocopy of passport for my kid (Citizenship: USA)
  • Two photos for each of us
  • Signed "Annex A" with my mailing address
  • Cover letter
Label Creation
I created a FedEx online account first and used FedEx Ship Manager Lite to create the onward and return labels. I chose FedEx International Priority (next day delivery) for both shipments.
  1. Onward Label: I used the CPC Ottawa address mentioned in my PPR letter. Wrote "CPCO - PR VISA" under 'Name' and "US Permanent/Temp Residence Visa/PP" under 'Company' (due to text length constraint)
  2. Return Label: I followed the instructions for writing the "From" address at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html. As I didn't have IRCC's phone number or email address, I put my phone number and email address wherever those were required
  3. Shipment Details: I kept the carriage value field blank and chose "Direct signature required" under Signature Type. For the return label, make sure to select "Use an already scheduled pickup at my location" under pickup options (as mentioned in the URL above)
  4. Customs Information: Select "Personal document" with $1 commercial value
At FedEx Office
  • I got 8 pages for the onward label and 7 pages for the return label (including commercial invoices). Took those prints and went to a nearby FedEx office along with other documents as per the checklist
  • They asked me to sign all the commercial invoices for the onward shipment. For the return shipment, they were not sure if I should sign on commercial invoices. I still signed those as well to avoid any issues afterwards
  • I asked for a large envelope for the onward shipment and another medium-sized envelope for the return shipment
  • They gave me back one copy of commercial invoice for both onward and return shipments
  • All other pages were put inside the transparent pouch of the onward and return envelopes (as applicable)
  • The credit card associated with the FedEx account would be charged a few days after the delivery
  • The onward package that was supposed to get delivered at "365 Laurier Ave West" actually got routed to a different address: "2303 Stevenage Dr". Don't worry if it happens with you. This seems to be the sorting facility for all couriers addressed to CPC Ottawa
Note
  • I was initially scared to send my passports outside the US as there were conflicting opinions regarding this. I sent a couple of emails to CPC Ottawa requesting them to change the location from Ottawa to VFS NY / LA. However, eventually I just went ahead and took the risk as there was no reply from CPC Ottawa
  • I didn't receive any update from IRCC after the onward shipment was delivered. Exactly a week later, I received a notification from FedEx that the return shipment has been picked up
  • The return package contained both of our passports with stamped PR visa and COPRs for all 3 of us. They also returned one photo for each of us (the other one was pasted on COPR)
I hope people find it useful. I found some great advices from old posts on this forum and thanks everyone for the same. All the best for your PR journey!
Wow super helpful! Thank you for posting! I used this when I submitted our paperwork and it was very easy.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Just an FYI - If you get a PPR email asking you to submit passports for visa stamping (when you're in the U.S) to CPC Ottawa / any VO in Canada, do not risk it. Respond to the email contact provided in the email and request to have your revised passport instructions (If you're an Indian citizen, provide a reason that as per India passport law, you're not supposed to send your passport outside your country of residence by mail. If you are a citizen of any other country, you can cite a reason that, as you're living in the U.S, it would be convenient for you to submit passports within the U.S as that would be the nearest location for you) to be issued to the nearest Canadian consulate / VFS where you're living in the U.S. They usually respond in one or two business days.

Once they issued the revised PPR instructions again, go ahead and send to that location within the U.S. I did this way and it worked perfectly fine. I got everything done and my passports back in a week I suppose. This is a safe method instead of risking to send your passport internationally.

bob_1627

Jun 25, 2018
It took them ~10 days from the time the received new photos and my application was approved in gckey (June 4). The tracker has not been activated yet.
Hi, Did your tracker got activated? My application changed to Approved status on 17th, waiting for the tracker to get activated.

bosma_pol

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Hi, Did your tracker got activated? My application changed to Approved status on 17th, waiting for the tracker to get activated.
Yep

PPR on 5/2, passport delivered to CPC-Ottawa on 5/12, incorrect photos email on 5/17, new photos sent on 5/21, delivered CPC on 5/25, COPR printed on 6/3, app approved in GCKey 6/4, Mailed on 6/10, Delivered 6/14

Reactions: bob_1627

bob_1627

Jun 25, 2018
Yep

PPR on 5/2, passport delivered to CPC-Ottawa on 5/12, incorrect photos email on 5/17, new photos sent on 5/21, delivered CPC on 5/25, COPR printed on 6/3, app approved in GCKey 6/4, Mailed on 6/10, Delivered 6/14
Thank You. Wishing you all the best for your future in Canada.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Just an FYI - If you get a PPR email asking you to submit passports for visa stamping (when you're in the U.S) to CPC Ottawa / any VO in Canada, do not risk it. Respond to the email contact provided in the email and request to have your revised passport instructions (If you're an Indian citizen, provide a reason that as per India passport law, you're not supposed to send your passport outside your country of residence by mail. If you are a citizen of any other country, you can cite a reason that, as you're living in the U.S, it would be convenient for you to submit passports within the U.S as that would be the nearest location for you) to be issued to the nearest Canadian consulate / VFS where you're living in the U.S. They usually respond in one or two business days.

Once they issued the revised PPR instructions again, go ahead and send to that location within the U.S. I did this way and it worked perfectly fine. I got everything done and my passports back in a week I suppose. This is a safe method instead of risking to send your passport internationally.
Hi , we are in similar situation now. Our mother-in-law has travelled to US now from India and she got her PPR for SuperVisa. Planning to submit it to VFS Newyork. In her PPR it didn't mention any place where it needs to be submitted. Its all genric where it said
"To find out where to send your passport , visit our website". It also didn't had any From address(like for few they got Ottawa or NDVO headers).

So can we go ahead and submit it to VFS Newyork instead of emailing and waiting for their reply or you think we still need to email them?

bob_1627

Jun 25, 2018
I got my passport delivered today surprisingly, I did not get any notification on tracker activation at all from Fedex. My timeline:

May 16 -> PPR (Ready For Visa email)
May 18 -> Passport delivered to Ottawa
May 31 -> New Photo request (Originally sent photo with passport was rejected)
June 2 -> New photos delivered to Ottawa
June 17 -> PR Application Approved
June 23 -> Passport & COPR delivered to me

Reactions: bosma_pol

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Hi , we are in similar situation now. Our mother-in-law has travelled to US now from India and she got her PPR for SuperVisa. Planning to submit it to VFS Newyork. In her PPR it didn't mention any place where it needs to be submitted. Its all genric where it said
"To find out where to send your passport , visit our website". It also didn't had any From address(like for few they got Ottawa or NDVO headers).

So can we go ahead and submit it to VFS Newyork instead of emailing and waiting for their reply or you think we still need to email them?
If I were you, I would email them and request for revised passport instructions to be issued so that you can submit passport in VFS NYC.

Reactions: swan0206

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Ok thanks. Is this the email that we need to use to check with them? CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca ??
Yes this is the email but I'm not sure if they are still using it or changed it. After you send out an email to them, make sure to save the copy of the email and then raise a webform as well attaching it as proof that you sent an email requesting for a revised PPR if you dont receive a response within one or two business days.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes this is the email but I'm not sure if they are still using it or changed it. After you send out an email to them, make sure to save the copy of the email and then raise a webform as well attaching it as proof that you sent an email requesting for a revised PPR if you dont receive a response within one or two business days.
Ok, we raise a webform and do not receive response then also, its basically counting on time right, we will be running out of time. We have raised a webform for finding out status on SuperVisa two months ago and haven't received response yet. You are saying this because we can proofs tomorrow if we miss the timeline or for what particular reason?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Ok, we raise a webform and do not receive response then also, its basically counting on time right, we will be running out of time. We have raised a webform for finding out status on SuperVisa two months ago and haven't received response yet. You are saying this because we can proofs tomorrow if we miss the timeline or for what particular reason?
Raising a webform is just to ensure that you're following the protocols for following up on your application status. That doesn't mean thats the only way. Call IRCC and explain your situation and they would be able to direct you on your next course of action. Try calling from 9 AM to 3 PM ET during weekdays.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Raising a webform is just to ensure that you're following the protocols for following up on your application status. That doesn't mean thats the only way. Call IRCC and explain your situation and they would be able to direct you on your next course of action. Try calling from 9 AM to 3 PM ET during weekdays.
These days they are by default saying the lines are very busy try after sometime or visit the Website. tried today as well.