+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending my renewal application in, RO Obligation

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
So I've got pictures and copies made of all documents needed to renew my card however I am unsure if I'm supposed to send proof my wife and I were living together out of the country right away with the application or wait til the ask for it, my card has been expired for many years but we were living together in the US til December, I have hundreds of pages of bank statements, taxes, and bills showing we were residing together but it is so much even with the taxes that I would have to send in a box probably instead of a envelope and not sure if they will accept it that way.

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Assuming the border crossing event was, well, uneventful . . .

So I've got pictures and copies made of all documents needed to renew my card however I am unsure if I'm supposed to send proof my wife and I were living together out of the country right away with the application or wait til the ask for it, my card has been expired for many years but we were living together in the US til December, I have hundreds of pages of bank statements, taxes, and bills showing we were residing together but it is so much even with the taxes that I would have to send in a box probably instead of a envelope and not sure if they will accept it that way.

Thanks
At the risk of coming across glib, but actually quite seriously, "if in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

See the instruction guide Appendix A: Residency obligation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

See Situation 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

Be sure to include the "mandatory" supporting documents. These include:

-- spouse's passports . . . any and all used during the previous five years​
-- proof of spouse' Canadian citizenship (in addition to copy of Canadian passport)​
-- -- if spouse was born in Canada, copy of birth certificate, or​
-- -- certificate of citizenship​
*** note, just copy of Canadian passport MIGHT suffice, but including birth certificate or citizenship certificate should reduce RISK of non-routine processing​
-- proof of spouse's place of residence for the previous five years​
-- proof of marriage​

Beyond that, the instructions describe what else you may include; just one looms significant, "any other documents you want us to consider." Suggesting you can submit as little or as much you like.

BUT remind yourself what you actually need to prove. It is not complicated. All you need to show is
-- you are married (including dates of marriage)​
-- your spouse is a Canadian citizen, and​
-- that you were living together​

As for living together, two years suffice subject to a tangent that would be more distracting than helpful, and unnecessary since it is clear that you were living together for all of the previous five years. And, in any event, IRCC specifically asks for both person's address history for the previous five years.

Citizenship and marriage is simple.

Place of residence is also fairly simple but can involve a range of evidence, and of course needs to cover the relevant periods of time. BUT there is NO NEED to make this any more complicated than simply showing some documents which show your spouse's address, and some documents showing your address, assuming these refer to the same address. Some from nearly five years ago, some in-between, some just before the move, and some showing current address. Not a lot. Lease or property tax notices in both names is best, but absent these just a few documents should readily show where your spouse was living and show that is the same as the address which you have shown to be where you were living.

You could use copies of tax filing documents. NO NEED to include copy of entire return. Just the 1040 if U.S. taxes. Just the NoA if Canadian tax returns were filed. Again, enough to show who and that person's address.

Make it as simple as practical while nonetheless showing where you were living for the five years, and where your spouse was living for the previous five years.