+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending money from Pakistan to Canada

abc12345xyz

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
I searched the forum, but didn't find any thread related to this one. Found one but that was from 2018.

I am trying to send money from Pakistan to Canada (into my GIC account) and have asked various banks but they are saying that due to current rate and other issues they don't have reserve and can't do the transaction. What can I do? How can I send money? I need to send money to GIC account to re-apply for my visa? Can somebody advise? What is the best way to send money?

abc12345xyz

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
Can somebody please advise? I have checked with exchange companies too, but the issue is the maximum amount they can send is 10,000 CAD. And probably you are aware that I am allowed to send 1 transaction only to GIC account and the minimum limit is 10,000 CAD, and any amount less than that bank will reject the transaction. So, I need to send little over 10,000 CAD as there will be fees deduct by receiving bank as well as any intermediate bank. Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can somebody please advise? I have checked with exchange companies too, but the issue is the maximum amount they can send is 10,000 CAD. And probably you are aware that I am allowed to send 1 transaction only to GIC account and the minimum limit is 10,000 CAD, and any amount less than that bank will reject the transaction. So, I need to send little over 10,000 CAD as there will be fees deduct by receiving bank as well as any intermediate bank. Please advise.
Can you not transfer to your Canadian bank account then transfer into your GIC if you want to do multiple transactions. If you are already in Canada assume you have a Canadian bank account. You can send over 10k as long as there is proof of the source of the transaction. It is under more scrutiny if over 10k because the banks need to watch out of money laundering.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Can you not transfer to your Canadian bank account then transfer into your GIC if you want to do multiple transactions. If you are already in Canada assume you have a Canadian bank account. You can send over 10k as long as there is proof of the source of the transaction. It is under more scrutiny if over 10k because the banks need to watch out of money laundering.
I believe the OP is trying to open a GIC account in a Canadian Bank from Pakistan, as a part of the Student Direct Stream Application, to apply for a student permit. :)

Did you ask the bank/exchange companies in Pakistan, why they cannot transfer over 10,000 CAD? What is their limitation?

When I had to transfer money to open a GIC account, I had to transfer $10,500 to ScotiaBank to open an account. I did so from my Indian Bank account. At the time the exchange rate made it about 650,000 INR. I gave the bank a copy of my PAN (Personal Identification Number) used to keep track of financial and tax transactions, as a large sum of money was being sent from my account. As long as the funds were obtained and sent legally, no bank/exchange company will have a problem.

Are you having a problem proving where the funds came from? I'm asking questions, as your explanation wasn't clear.

Last edited: