+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending additional documents with initial application (NOA, T4s, etc)

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
arambi said:
Hello my dear Era,

My request was: "Please walk us through your process or methodology in arriving at this conclusion" and not "Please walk us through your timeline in arriving at this conclusion"

Not sure if I need to explain the difference between process/methodology and one's individual timeline... let me know...

When talking about statistics or probabilities, Upside refers to a potential reward and downside to a potential loss.... And my process or methodology in arriving at my conclusion is well documented on this tread..
No, seriously, you put together many words and in fact didnt say anything.
From my perspective, my timeline with the fact i did not send additional documents is a conclusion that following the rules will be faster processing.
I still don't see the upside you referring to, as well how your conclusion is "well documented". I also dont see any explanation why some choose to not follow the guideline.

What is obvious, this argument will never end and who ever advise to send additional documents, in my view, are giving a wrong advise and will confuse those trying to put together the application. Will give a wrong advise because will give wrong hopes that the application will be flawless and shorter. Thats the shame.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Era,
You sound upset... why are you getting angry my friend? This is a free forum... the best place for opposing views and different opinions...

You are responsible for knowing the difference between a process/methodology and one's individual experience... you cannot fault me for that... that's unfair :( :( :(

era1521 said:
No, seriously, you put together many words and in fact didnt say anything.
From my perspective, my timeline with the fact i did not send additional documents is a conclusion that following the rules will be faster processing.
I still don't see the upside you referring to, as well how your conclusion is "well documented". I also dont see any explanation why some choose to not follow the guideline.

What is obvious, this argument will never end and who ever advise to send additional documents, in my view, are giving a wrong advise and will confuse those trying to put together the application. Will give a wrong advise because will give wrong hopes that the application will be flawless and shorter. Thats the shame.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
arambi said:
Era,
You sound upset... why are you getting angry my friend? This is a free forum... the best place for opposing views and different opinions...

You are responsible for knowing the difference between a process/methodology and one's individual experience... you cannot fault me for that... that's unfair :( :( :(
???? Angry? I dont give a s..t, to be honest. As far as it concerns me, I should be done with this section on this forum. My journey, like some call it, to citizenship is over. I only try to express an opinion from my experience and from others experience. Others not from the forum; coworkers, friends, people i know and i know their situation and course of application.
Process/methodology? What is this crap? Do you realize there are maybe 20,000 citizenship applications every month and on this forum are maybe 10-20 individuals? And you want to "well document" an "upside" if attach additional documents?
Man, you're really off, seriously.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
First angry... then rude... Take it easy bro 8) 8) 8)

era1521 said:
???? Angry? I dont give a s..t, to be honest. As far as it concerns me, I should be done with this section on this forum. My journey, like some call it, to citizenship is over. I only try to express an opinion from my experience and from others experience. Others not from the forum; coworkers, friends, people i know and i know their situation and course of application.
Process/methodology? What is this crap? Do you realize there are maybe 20,000 citizenship applications every month and on this forum are maybe 10-20 individuals? And you want to "well document" an "upside" if attach additional documents?
Man, you're really off, seriously.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the downside of following a lot like this forum. It complicates things. Instead of doing it 'by the book', this gives us certain doubts and apprehensions 'coz we tend to consider what other people are doing and saying. I was never a part of this forum 'till after i did my test and was already waiting for the oath. We all have came far since our PR days. Can't we simply understand what the application is asking from us. Isn't it quite simple and straightforward. Of course i'd like to help others and give inputs on my experience, and it has never been an 'out of the box' one.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In terms of advising anyone about what should be included with the application, I have to concur with those who emphasize following the instructions, going by the checklist.

Why give CIC more information than they ask for? Why risk throwing something into the mix which could trigger a stranger-bureaucrat's curiosity or even suspicions? What if the landlord's name on the lease is similar to a name the stranger-bureaucrat associates with negative experiences? What if there is some information about the employer that seems incongruous to the stranger-bureaucrat?

I say this having acknowledged that I did include extra documents in my application, and my application was processed as quickly as possible for where I live, for that time (in a few days it will be a full year since I took the oath and became a citizen), that is in just barely eight months.

I have gone into detail elsewhere explaining why I decided to include extra documents, and what I included. That was intended to illustrate an exception, not the rule.

Frankly, I do not understand the almost-obsessive effort to justify advising prospective applicants that they should not follow the instructions or should otherwise not do what is the conventional wisdom in dealing with any bureaucracy, CIC especially included, and that is to give what is asked for and little more unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.

I try hard to avoid giving any advice. I try hard to illuminate what is known, what is probable, identifying and considering what is possible, with due consideration given to recognizing what is unknown (a lot is unknown). Overall I do not think prospective applicants are wise to take any advice given in this or other similar forums. Take the observations and information provided into account, sure, use it to increase one's understanding of the process, use it to help make personal decisions about how to best navigate the process for oneself.

Generally I disagree with any post that asserts what applicants "should do," except for obvious things like use the residency calculator, follow the instructions, do not apply with less than 1095 days actual presence, be accurate and complete, and so on.

To be clear, however, there is not only nothing which indicates additional documentation could accelerate the processing timeline for routinely processed applicants, it is quite certain that including additional documentation will NOT accelerate routine processing.

The only question is whether or not additional documents might possibly tip the scales toward not getting RQ in some situations. This is a very, very narrow area of possible benefit. Most triggers for RQ will simply trigger RQ no matter what else the applicant included in the application. Again, I have fully explained my reasoning for including what I did in the summer of 2013. I offered that, again, not as a suggested approach for anyone else, but to illustrate the choice in my specific circumstances.

In terms of what I did include, once the revised residency provisions are in effect, I would fully expect CIC to require NoAs with the application. So, whether to add those to the application should, I anticipate, soon be a settled question, settled by what is in the checklist.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
dpenabill said:
In terms of advising anyone about what should be included with the application, I have to concur with those who emphasize following the instructions, going by the checklist.

Why give CIC more information than they ask for? Why risk throwing something into the mix which could trigger a stranger-bureaucrat's curiosity or even suspicions? What if the landlord's name on the lease is similar to a name the stranger-bureaucrat associates with negative experiences? What if there is some information about the employer that seems incongruous to the stranger-bureaucrat?

I say this having acknowledged that I did include extra documents in my application, and my application was processed as quickly as possible for where I live, for that time (in a few days it will be a full year since I took the oath and became a citizen), that is in just barely eight months.

I have gone into detail elsewhere explaining why I decided to include extra documents, and what I included. That was intended to illustrate an exception, not the rule.

Frankly, I do not understand the almost-obsessive effort to justify advising prospective applicants that they should not follow the instructions or should otherwise not do what is the conventional wisdom in dealing with any bureaucracy, CIC especially included, and that is to give what is asked for and little more unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.

I try hard to avoid giving any advice. I try hard to illuminate what is known, what is probable, identifying and considering what is possible, with due consideration given to recognizing what is unknown (a lot is unknown). Overall I do not think prospective applicants are wise to take any advice given in this or other similar forums. Take the observations and information provided into account, sure, use it to increase one's understanding of the process, use it to help make personal decisions about how to best navigate the process for oneself.

Generally I disagree with any post that asserts what applicants "should do," except for obvious things like use the residency calculator, follow the instructions, do not apply with less than 1095 days actual presence, be accurate and complete, and so on.

To be clear, however, there is not only nothing which indicates additional documentation could accelerate the processing timeline for routinely processed applicants, it is quite certain that including additional documentation will NOT accelerate routine processing.

The only question is whether or not additional documents might possibly tip the scales toward not getting RQ in some situations. This is a very, very narrow area of possible benefit. Most triggers for RQ will simply trigger RQ no matter what else the applicant included in the application. Again, I have fully explained my reasoning for including what I did in the summer of 2013. I offered that, again, not as a suggested approach for anyone else, but to illustrate the choice in my specific circumstances.

In terms of what I did include, once the revised residency provisions are in effect, I would fully expect CIC to require NoAs with the application. So, whether to add those to the application should, I anticipate, soon be a settled question, settled by what is in the checklist.
Well, what I always tried was to understand what the reason behind choosing no following the rules is. Nevertheless very few can explain, due to a very specific situation, they choose to add some additional documents, acknowledging may be in vain, most of the others in same situation have no reasonable justification, but in fact believe doing that will expedite the process.
The question is why you would want to have all of the sudden the citizenship application completed as faster as it could.
What is the difference between PR and citizen?
Obviously, the right to vote and passport.
So, back to the cheese; people crave to vote? I dont think so; they want the passport. Why they want it at once? Who knows? maybe some want to get the passport and abandon Canada; maybe some want to get some tanning down south. Nobody knows for sure. May a well-documented statistics in this regard will be more enlightening.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
era1521 said:
Well, what I always tried was to understand what the reason behind choosing no following the rules is. Nevertheless very few can explain, due to a very specific situation, they choose to add some additional documents, acknowledging may be in vain, most of the others in same situation have no reasonable justification, but in fact believe doing that will expedite the process.
The question is why you would want to have all of the sudden the citizenship application completed as faster as it could.
What is the difference between PR and citizen?
Obviously, the right to vote and passport.
So, back to the cheese; people crave to vote? I dont think so; they want the passport. Why they want it at once? Who knows? maybe some want to get the passport and abandon Canada; maybe some want to get some tanning down south. Nobody knows for sure. May a well-documented statistics in this regard will be more enlightening.
Some of this seems unfair and over-generalizing to me.

Sure, the passport can be a big deal. It can make a huge difference in career opportunities with companies doing business with the U.S. for example. A delay in obtaining a Canadian passport can result in a loss of real income, perhaps even the loss of a particular job opportunity which might not come around again for quite some time.

There is nothing wrong with being concerned about this. It is a real and legitimate concern.

And as Canadians, Permanent Residents are entitled to a fair and judicious process, a process which includes the processing of applications for citizenship in a timely manner. Two years is not timely. Wanting what is right, including what is timely, is OK, what Canadians (including PRs) are entitled to, entitled to insist upon.

As for reasons to include extra documents:

The reasons to include extra documents really boil down to two:

-- hope it will accelerate processing timeline for a routinely processed applicant

-- hope it might help to avoid RQ

Regarding the hope it will accelerate the processing timeline generally:

This is a false hope. Totally. Nothing (other than specifically qualifying for urgent processing) will accelerate the routine processing timeline. Anyone the least bit familiar with bureaucracies readily recognizes and understands this. And relative to CIC in particular, there is no doubt, submitting additional documents with the application cannot possibly accelerate the timeline for a routinely processed citizenship application. Any hint to the contrary is, well, malarkey.

That said, it is not at all unreasonable to hope for a faster timeline, particularly not in the context of how long hundreds of thousands of applications have taken to be processed in the last four or five years. There are scores of qualified applicants who applied in 2011 still waiting. In contrast, CIC's listed timeline for "routine applications" when I applied in the summer of 2013 was around two years. I still would not be a citizen if it took that long. In contrast, I was able to vote in both last year's provincial election and our municipal election, and to my perspective, contrary to your dismissiveness about the significance of the right to vote, that was of great importance to me. Did not make a difference in the outcome, but being able to vote is a huge, huge part of being a citizen, which is about being a part of the community where one lives, about belonging, about contributing, about caring.

The overriding importance of being a contributing part of a democratic process in governing ourselves should not be derided or abused. And voting is a big part of that. Caring enough to vote is a big part of that.

But so is just being a citizen. Perhaps, being from a much older generation, my perspective is a bit quaint, but to my view becoming a citizen was a huge part of making this place my true home. This is the place. It took me a long, long time to find this place and figure that out. Decades. Many decades. My heart rate increases when I think of this. The sound of "O Canada, Our home and native land!" gives me pause and makes me smile, a deep from the heart smile (even though, of course, it is not my native land).

Becoming a citizen is a big deal. I doubt I am alone in feeling this way. Seemed to me that most of those who were at my oath ceremony, nearly a year ago now, were overflowing with similar feelings. We had found a place to make our home and it was Canada.

Regarding the hope additional documents might help to avoid RQ:

This has been the more difficult aspect of this issue to address. It has been difficult because there is no for-sure answer. This is where a lot of unknowns and maybe-this-or-maybe-that scenarios take the stage.

But, as I indicated in my post above, for the majority of those whose circumstances check off a reason-to-question-residency (from the perspective of CIC, and as defined in the triage criteria set out in the File Requirements Checklist), RQ is going to be issued. No amount of proof of residency submitted with the application will change that.

Thus, for the overwhelming majority of applicants, there is no prospective benefit or potential gain for including additional documents with the application.

For the overwhelming majority of applicants, they are going to be routinely processed anyway, or they are going to be issued RQ anyway.

But the overwhelming vast-majority is not everyone. There are exceptions.

Thus, ultimately, it really comes down to each individual choosing for himself or herself what is the best way to navigate this process. This includes choosing the date to apply (I waited nearly two years after reaching the 1095 days of actual presence threshold before applying), and includes decisions like whether or not to include supplemental information or documentation with the application.

A forum like this works best when it offers real information, thoughtful analysis, honest anecdotal reporting, and in doing so helps others to be better informed so they can make better decisions for themselves, based on their own particular circumstances, whether that is about when to apply, how to respond to a particular item in the application, and including whether or not to include additional documents.

It is worth remembering in this regard, there is NO prohibition against submitting additional documentation. It is OK to submit more.

Whether or not any particular individual should submit more is a very personal decision. Most applicants almost certainly do not need to submit more. For the vast majority, submitting more will make no difference (they will be processed as a routine application or will be issued RQ, and the additional documentation will have made no difference).

Overall I disgree with those who urge that applicants should submit addtional documents. For the vast majority that is taking unnecessary risks.

Overall I disagree with those who urge no one should submit additional documents. For some, the decisions to do so is a rational, reasonable choice based on their particular circumstances and what they know about the process.

Mostly I advocate becoming as well informed as possible and making a thoughtful, deliberated decision about how to navigate the process for oneself. Pursuant to which some might quite reasonably elect to include additional documents, a few additional key documents.

But there is nothing the least bit wrong about wanting the process to go a lot faster than it has for the majority of applicants in the last five years.

titosyr

Jan 24, 2015
My self, I sent copy of all the pages of my passport with stamps translation, I added a sheet signed by me, I stated all my travels with the reason of travel since I became a Landing immigrant or Permanent Resident
result: NO RQ :D
Although I waited 6 months after when I supposed to apply for the citizenship.

PS my citizenship ceremony is the day after tomorrow :)

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
titosyr said:
My self, I sent copy of all the pages of my passport with stamps translation, I added a sheet signed by me, I stated all my travels with the reason of travel since I became a Landing immigrant or Permanent Resident
result: NO RQ :D
Although I waited 6 months after when I supposed to apply for the citizenship.

PS my citizenship ceremony is the day after tomorrow :)
Congratulation! What was your motivation to add that extra documents? To avoid RQ?
The result in your view was indeed no RQ, but can you be sure it wouldnt be same if didnt send the extra documents? I guess you'll never know.

Enjoy the Ceremony!

titosyr

Jan 24, 2015
era1521 said:
Congratulation! What was your motivation to add that extra documents? To avoid RQ?
The result in your view was indeed no RQ, but can you be sure it wouldnt be same if didnt send the extra documents? I guess you'll never know.

Enjoy the Ceremony!
Thanks bro, my motivation was avoiding the RQ. especially that I traveled a lot since I became PR, about 37 times, so I thought Ill wait few months after the physical presence requirement is better than a delay for few years in case of the RQ! so I included copy all my passport pages and sent it with the application with a detailed sheet of my travels dates, reasons and destinations. and gave the office more details explaining each trip as a gesture of goodwill as I thought they love to see that.
Some of my friends put copies of their T4's as well, some they put copies of school exams and grads! all works, my application supporting document were huge,
In the interview I was holding my backpack which was full of documents and supporting documents, letters and printed emails from my employers, I was prepared in case for RQ, so I took everything with me (Rent contracts, my bank statements, car contract, medical bills, phone bills) the officer saw that I was prepared, I answered his few questions with honestly offering the supported documents he always rejected to see them.

This was my experience in short :)

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
titosyr said:
Thanks bro, my motivation was avoiding the RQ. especially that I traveled a lot since I became PR, about 37 times, so I thought Ill wait few months after the physical presence requirement is better than a delay for few years in case of the RQ! so I included copy all my passport pages and sent it with the application with a detailed sheet of my travels dates, reasons and destinations. and gave the office more details explaining each trip as a gesture of goodwill as I thought they love to see that.
Some of my friends put copies of their T4's as well, some they put copies of school exams and grads! all works, my application supporting document were huge,
In the interview I was holding my backpack which was full of documents and supporting documents, letters and printed emails from my employers, I was prepared in case for RQ, so I took everything with me (Rent contracts, my bank statements, car contract, medical bills, phone bills) the officer saw that I was prepared, I answered his few questions with honestly offering the supported documents he always rejected to see them.

This was my experience in short :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope those who professes the strict adherence to citizenship official guide will find some value in your testimony.
With CIC, what is advised to do and what is actually done are not the same.

You select yes to CBSA report on the application but you go to interview and CO said I don't have it

Normal processing time of 24 months has not been updated and CIC agents keep advertising the 24 months processing time

The intent to reside is not in effect yet post application travel can get you in trouble

And the list goes on

One of the beauty of a forum like this is that it brings together theory and practice. Taking both into account, I will always advise to add limited or key extra docs

Sisifo

Nov 5, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My reasons for adding additional documentation was that as per some posts in this forum, my spouse had all the factors for an RQ.
Unemployed for 2 years and employed in the last year prior to submission. The ID proof submitted - 1 was issued 1 month prior to application submission, the other was issued 5 months prior. All these were supposedly red flags and since I was applying as a family, i wanted to preempt any unnecessary delays in my processing. Interestingly enough i had sent a cover letter as well which i saw the case officer quickly read before my interview began.

Irrespective of what you think should be sent or not, ultimately its in your hands how you handle your application and in my case i am personally glad that i had sent supporting documentation and i now have my oath in 6 months

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Sisifo said:
My reasons for adding additional documentation was that as per some posts in this forum, my spouse had all the factors for an RQ.
Unemployed for 2 years and employed in the last year prior to submission. The ID proof submitted - 1 was issued 1 month prior to application submission, the other was issued 5 months prior. All these were supposedly red flags and since I was applying as a family, i wanted to preempt any unnecessary delays in my processing. Interestingly enough i had sent a cover letter as well which i saw the case officer quickly read before my interview began.

Irrespective of what you think should be sent or not, ultimately its in your hands how you handle your application and in my case i am personally glad that i had sent supporting documentation and i now have my oath in 6 months
Great job Sisifo,
This is called adjusting to the reality and being proactive ... Not just reactive... I will definitively approach the situation as you did... Irrespective of the end result (RQ or no RQ)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have previously speculated that once the revised residency provisions come into force, the application form and checklist would require applicants to include copies of Notices of Assessment for at least four of the previous six years.

Based on the recently proposed Citizenship Regulations it appears I missed, I was wrong.

In particular, the proposed regulations signal the direction CIC will take in applying the new subsection 5(1)(c)(iii) of the Citizenship Act, which provides that to qualify for a grant of citizenship the applicant PR must have:

(iii) met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return of income in respect of four taxation years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of his or her application;

CIC will not need to ask applicants to provide copies of NoAs but will, rather, be able to directly obtain this information from CRA.

The new application form will probably require applicants to give their SIN. I think. The language in the proposed regulation, however, provides that CIC may obtain the SIN from the applicant, so it is possible that CIC might not ask for this from all applicants, but only those specifically requested to provide it or those issued RQ. My guess is it will be in the application itself.

By the way, a similar regulation is proposed (same issue of the Gazette) for the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, pursuant to which CIC will be able to collect the SIN from any PR applying for a new PR card or for a PR Travel Document.

The proposed regulations provide for fairly extensive information sharing between CIC and CRA, and also between CIC and other government bodies as well.