+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self paying for Alberta Health care

Vanessa8

Jan 21, 2016
I recently received Permanent Residency in Canada. and I'm planning on landing in Calgary, Alberta shortly. I understand health care in Alberta is free as long as I meet the requirements of living in Alberta for a period of 6months.

I don't plan on relocating immediately. And as such CANNOT meet the conditions/requirements of living in Alberta for 6 months. I intend on leaving Calgary after 3 months. As such, I will want to pay for any health care services I may use.

Kindly advice me on how to achieve this. I.e, avoid using the free health care on this particular trip and the procedures on paying for health care out of my pocket.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you visit a doctor, you just tell them you are paying out of pocket. They will charge you the non resident of Alberta rate. I was a non resident Canadian for many years and that's all I did when I made trips home.

Vanessa8

Jan 21, 2016
That means I should avoid registering and getting th Alberta health card on this trip...until I'm ready to relocate right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, simply don't apply for a health card on this first trip. Get travel insurance in case you have an emergency or are in an accident. If you have to go to the doctor, just tell them you are visiting and you don't have health care and will pay yourself.