+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self harm scars

Jun 6, 2018
I have scars. As simple as that sounds those are self inflicted. I have not been given a life where I could live peacefully. I have tried everything. I am at a point in my life where I neeed a new start. I have to do my medical if i want to go to canada. Can anybody tell me if the scars on my hand is gonnaget me rejected?? There are alot this is my only chance of starting a new life

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I have scars. As simple as that sounds those are self inflicted. I have not been given a life where I could live peacefully. I have tried everything. I am at a point in my life where I neeed a new start. I have to do my medical if i want to go to canada. Can anybody tell me if the scars on my hand is gonnaget me rejected?? There are alot this is my only chance of starting a new life
I highly doubt that will be an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you qualify for immigration otherwise?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would say if the are healed it will likely be brought up but likely won't prevent entry to Canada. If you are still actively self-harming that may be more problematic. In general the Canadian medical health system is overwhelmed and requires extended healthcare benefits or cash to get treatment.

prhopeful666

Oct 21, 2019
No one’s posted on this thread in a while. I have an extremely unique case. I have self-harm scars from when I was around 15. I did my Master’s from Canada so I did go through a medical around 5 years ago. The radiologist noticed my scars when I went in for the chest x ray. He asked me what they were and I told him “teenage mistake”. He didn’t bother after that and did not report it to the physician either (I’m assuming because she didn’t ask me any questions).
Now I’m applying for my PR visa and I’m a bit nervous about them. I haven’t self-harmed in the last 12 years but I am worried about the following things:

1) Will they treat me differently this time since I’m applying for a different visa class?
2) Will they presume I’m lying because there may be no notes of this from the last medical? I’ve never been to an ER, nor have I ever seen a psychiatrist. So there’s no record of this. Some members from my family and friends know but that’s about it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No one’s posted on this thread in a while. I have an extremely unique case. I have self-harm scars from when I was around 15. I did my Master’s from Canada so I did go through a medical around 5 years ago. The radiologist noticed my scars when I went in for the chest x ray. He asked me what they were and I told him “teenage mistake”. He didn’t bother after that and did not report it to the physician either (I’m assuming because she didn’t ask me any questions).
Now I’m applying for my PR visa and I’m a bit nervous about them. I haven’t self-harmed in the last 12 years but I am worried about the following things:

1) Will they treat me differently this time since I’m applying for a different visa class?
2) Will they presume I’m lying because there may be no notes of this from the last medical? I’ve never been to an ER, nor have I ever seen a psychiatrist. So there’s no record of this. Some members from my family and friends know but that’s about it.
It is best to be honest. The scars are likely pretty evident if the doctor exams you. If you hide things and it is discovered there will be more concern that you are actively self harming. If you address the issue and explain that you have received treatment and stopped the destructive behaviour a doctor will be more willing to believe you have stop self-harming and dealt with your mental health. Have you seen that radiology report? It may actually mention the scars. It disturbs me that tons of people come on this forum and describe self-harm as a teenage mistake. It is a a sign of a serious mental health issue that needs to be addressed and treated. Getting drunk at a party or getting a bad tattoo is a teenage mistake.

RedArrow

Aug 23, 2020

Hey did these scars cause any concern?

sudu

Dec 1, 2020
....The scars are likely pretty evident if the doctor exams you. If you hide things and it is discovered there will be more concern that you are actively self harming. If you address the issue and explain that you have received treatment and stopped the destructive behaviour a doctor will be more willing to believe you have stop self-harming and dealt with your mental health.... It is a a sign of a serious mental health issue that needs to be addressed and treated.
Could this stop someone from getting a study permit?
(please dont quote me)There is a something maybe clause that says something about causing expense on Canada's health care system, or a threat to self or others.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could this stop someone from getting a study permit?
(please dont quote me)There is a something maybe clause that says something about causing expense on Canada's health care system, or a threat to self or others.
Yes it could if there are concerns about your psychological stability and ability to cope. Mental health services have long wait lists in Canada.

Hppykhaira

Jun 8, 2021

I also have self infected marks on my right amr what should i do. I m feeling very nervous please give me suggestion how to deal with it in my medical exm?