+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-funded visiting researcher in Canada for 117 days


Jan 16, 2020

I am a PhD student enrolled in a Danish university, planning a research visit to a Canadian university during the spring. I am fully sponsored by my Danish grant and will not receive any salary from Canada at all nor be enrolled as a student at the Canadian university.

I will be collaborating with some Canadian researchers on a research project that forms part of my PhD, for a total of 117 days. After that, I am planning to stay in Canada for 3 more weeks of holiday.

I have understood that because I am an externally funded researcher that does not have any employer/employee relationship to the university I am visiting, I can keep a visitor status and therefore only need an eTA. Is that correct?

Thanks for helping me figuring out whether I missed something!