+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self employment or PNP in BC

rgb136

Mar 16, 2012
Hello Everyone:
I am looking for an answer to this question which no one has been able to provide me with guidance I hope I can get an answer here. This is the situation:

I am a Canadian citizen, I have been unemployed for over a year, I have experience managing restaurants. Currently I am about to graduate from a business diploma program (within 5 weeks). I met this person from the philippines, she has been working here in Canada for more than two years now, under the status of a TFW, we have been talking about the opportunities to establish our own restaurant (as a partnership) here in the town where we live in, this will generate employment for myself as well, and at the same time we will hire 2 part time employees. I have already developed a business plan which seems to be very feasible and realistic. There is a great potential for this business here in our town. My friend is the one with will be providing most of the capital (60%) for this venture. This is a great opportunity since I lack of financial means to establish it on my own. I have already looked at a couple of location available for this purpose. My question is: Is there any self-employment program which will facilitate the process for my friend to apply for a PR without having to be nomitated for PNP from her current employer?. At the present time she holds a closed work permit; Is anyone aware of any similar situation which could be relevant to ours? Any kind of information, or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

vivjain

May 24, 2011
Rob, Looks like a good plan. I think in Minatoba there is requirement of investing $130,000 for considering under the PNP program. Check more details with "Manitoba Provincial Nominee Business Program".

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Is there something about not owning more than 10% of a business under one of the categories? Sorry I can't be more specific, but that came to mind when I read your post....perhaps you can do a search for more info on that.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
OK...feeling pretty smart right now, I managed to go right to it:
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/information/eligible.page
•If the nominee applicant has an ownership stake in the employer’s company, the share must be less than 10%. Individuals who own 10% or more are not eligible under the Strategic Occupations component of the BC PNP.