+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employment in BC

rgb136

Mar 16, 2012
Hello Everyone:
I am looking for an answer to this question which no one has been able to provide me with guidance I hope I can get an answer here. This is the situation:

I am a Canadian citizen, I have been unemployed for over a year, I have experience managing restaurants. Currently I am about to graduate from a business diploma program (within 5 weeks). I met this person from the philippines, she has been working here in Canada for more than two years now, under the status of a TFW, we have been talking about the opportunities to establish our own restaurant (as a partnership) here in the town where we live in, this will generate employment for myself as well, and at the same time we will hire 2 part time employees. I have already developed a business plan which seems to be very feasible and realistic. There is a great potential for this business here in our town. My friend is the one with will be providing most of the capital (60%) for this venture. This is a great opportunity since I lack of financial means to establish it on my own. I have already looked at a couple of location available for this purpose. My question is: Is there any self-employment program which will facilitate the process for my friend to apply for a PR without having to be nomitated for PNP from her current employer?. At the present time she holds a closed work permit; Is anyone aware of any similar situation which could be relevant to ours? Any kind of information, or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your friend need a work permit in order to be allowed to work. To obtain a work permit, she first have to find an employer who is willing to hire her. That employer must then apply for something called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) to request approval to hire a foreign worker. As part of this process, the employer must prove that they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian for the position. If the LMO is approved (not all LMOs are approved), she can then apply for a work permit (you would have to apply for this work permit through the visa office responsible for her home country or her country of residence). If the work permit is approved, she can then come to Canada and work. This entire process typically take months. Also, because employers have to prove they could not find a Canadian for the job, many/most employers aren't willing to consider foreign workers for their open positions (especially for low skilled positions such as a grocery store clerk).

I am looking for opportunities too. May I know where you guys would establish your restaurant?

rgb136

Mar 16, 2012
Hi steaky Thank you for your reply to my posting.
My friend is already in Canada she has been here for more than two years now as a TFW. She is full time employed but as I mentioned in the posting we were considering to get into a partnership and set up a restaurant here in British Columbia, we live in northern BC.
She has been working for her current employer for more than two years, but she has not been nomitated to the PNP program. My question was, is there a self employment program which would facilitate the PR application without the need to being nominated (PNP) by her employer?

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Can she not apply under the Canadian Experience class?

Kets

Star Member
Nov 18, 2011
I am in exactly the same position I am currently here on a work permit and have come across a business opportunity with a canadian citizen.

We want to start the business with me being full time in the business but am currently on a work permit.

Anyone have any answers is it possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The process is the same as for your current work permit.

Your employer will need to apply for an LMO. Once the LMO is approved, you will have to apply for a new closed work permit tied to the new company. Once the new work permit is approved, you will no longer be allowed to work in your current job.

If you wish to immigrate through starting a new business, then you'll either have to apply through one of the provincial programs or through the federal program (note that the federal program is not accepting new applications at this time).